Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Grumania Flanker AIRBORNE!! (Video) >

Grumania Flanker AIRBORNE!! (Video)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Grumania Flanker AIRBORNE!! (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Grumania Flanker AIRBORNE!! (Video)

Hal,Just contact me
I´ll see what I can do for you
Ilja
Old 08-26-2005, 01:40 AM

Hal,Just contact me
I´ll see what I can do for you
Ilja
Old 08-26-2005, 03:20 PM

Hei Tor.

Sorry about not getting there, but things about my new job at Årø Airport had to be done.

I think your Flanker performed very good, and should be a vitaminpill to any sceptic..
I want one too, but cant afford it at the moment..
But my "must have list" is shorter now

Have you considered moore expo on ailerons, cause it seemed cind of jumpy in curves..?
Alternately, even lower throws.?
The bigger, the better we know, and therefore small throws on these tiny birds are essential..
But you know that...

Great power with the Simjet, the only thing about the whole setup, is the engine mounted outboard underneath.
Hard to do it othervice, it just have do be like that.

Expiry date is stamped on every jet model, it`s just hidden for us modellers...
But on "twins" this small, it`s a genious solution on a major problem.

Have fun with it, and make sure it arrives at Fagernes next year!

Gratulerer!!

Mvh
Gudmund
Old 08-27-2005, 01:51 AM

From my experience , I would reccomend large travel and a lot of expo.Tor adjusted the throws back to 25 mm ( I think without expo)
I have 40 mm and a lot of expo. The advantage is the slow flying capability with high angles of attack and the elevators parallel to the runway. Impossible with the low rate throws !
Ilja
Old 08-27-2005, 11:03 AM

Hi all, just put a post on the other forum enquiring about control throws, then I looked at this forum and found all my answers!!
Great job Ilja!! By the way how's my order progressing? Getting very excited now I've seen two videos!! Love the profile in the air!!
Regards,
Glyn..........................
P.S. What do you call a lot of expo ......30 - 40% ??
thanks.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:51 PM

I guess Ilja is right - I still only have 7 flights on my Flanker, and will experiment more with throws and expo - I have never liked flying with expo, but can certainly see the need for it here!

BTW - It's starting to look very good (even better!) with the decals and the weathering...
Pictures will follow!

Tor
Old 08-29-2005, 12:35 AM

Just to avoid more e-mails asking for the throws. My instructions give 40 mm for up and 30 mm for down movement for the elevator function.This function has 40 % expo.
The aileron has 26 mm for up and 23 for down and 70 % expo.
I have also 60 % expo on the nosewheel and the maximum throw is not unnecessary large. This guarantees a smooth handling on tarmac.It can be seen in the video that Tor does not like the expo function. Also , the very last seconds of the video show a very large nosewheel throw and possibly just a little exponential. With the right amount of expo, the model handles smoother without loosing the needed throws for slow flying.
Maybe my customers find even better adjustments - my suggested values are due to my personal feeling - and I am looking forward to receiving the customers experience.
Have manufactured and delivered EDF versions for quite a long time and will make a brake for a while to go on with the turbine versions now. So - Glyn, just have a little more patience.I will come back to you when your model is ready for shipping.I am preparing myself for the Jet Power fair starting on 16th of September.
Ilja
Old 08-29-2005, 06:10 AM

Thanks Ilja,
patiently twiddling my thumbs whilst dust settles on my workbench and the shed door hinges rust up !!
Only joking!!! keep up the good work, we're all depending on you.
regards, Glyn..........................
P.S. good luck with the shows!
Old 09-27-2005, 08:04 AM

I am sorry for the delivery delay , but have lost a big box at the JetPower fair which included my order list and adresses.Hope to get it back any day now and then the next three Sukhois will be delivered.
By the way, I have lost my Flanker during the show due to heavy interferences.
Anyway,it was a good flight until then and most of the model can be repaired.
Ilja
Old 09-30-2005, 08:05 AM

It's always tough to admit that you are wrong - but here, I have no choice: I said that I don't like expo, but I have adjusted the throws on my Flanker to the recommended throws
from Ilja, and I am flying it with 50% expo on the elevators and 40% expo on the ailerons, and it's just sooooooo smooth in the air: Feels better, looks better, handles
all maneuvers better - propably has such big impact because the plane is small and light, but I guess I'll have to try this on my big F-16 as well!!

Thanks,
Tor
Old 09-30-2005, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: icepilot

It's always tough to admit that you are wrong - but here, I have no choice: I said that I don't like expo, but I have adjusted the throws on my Flanker to the recommended throws
from Ilja, and I am flying it with 50% expo on the elevators and 40% expo on the ailerons, and it's just sooooooo smooth in the air: Feels better, looks better, handles
all maneuvers better - propably has such big impact because the plane is small and light, but I guess I'll have to try this on my big F-16 as well!!

Thanks,
Tor

I just love to say this: Told you so....

Maybe you should print this post and show it to the anti-expo club you use to be a member of
Old 10-01-2005, 05:21 AM

Ståle -

I just KNEW you were gonna say that!!!![:@][:@][:@]

Hehe....

Tor
Old 10-03-2005, 12:47 PM

I am really happy to hear this - it is always frustrating for a manufacturer when the customers don`t follow the manuals and suggestions. Expo is one of the most important functions to use on a jet. From the very first moment I used Expo , I never had a feeling that the controll is "un -natural" .On the contrary -without Expo ,many jets are hard to fly and you mostly have a feeling that the plane is nervous. Just a small change such as Expo can change a wild beast into a gentle *****cat.
Ilja
Old 10-03-2005, 02:07 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Actually, unless you have 25-30% expo dialed in...you are not flying linear, anyway....you are actually flying w/ positive expo (too sensitive around center). This is inherent simply in the mechanics of the servo arm movement/geometry. Just look at it: No expo, you'll observe lots greater control movement around center for a given input than toward the extremes.

Lots of turbine guys fly even 100% expo. Regardless...you get used to whatever amount very fast, love it for the handling improvement and steady, non-twitchy feeling/flight around the centers. Does wonders for nervous thumbs! Only downside to excessive expo (fast overcome w/ a flew flights under the belt) is getting used to the softer flare upon initial input, then if ya panic and go to extremes, it can seem to come on awfully fast....!

Re the Flanker: How is performance from smooth grass....is it capable, any problems? Tx

Ray

Old 10-04-2005, 11:59 AM

I haven`t noticed a big difference between grass and tarmac, but use a different lift off technique.On tarmac I let it roll and pull the elevators just a little bit at the end of the runway.She lifts of with a VERY high speed and in a very flat angle - then I pull the elevator to climb vertically-looks very impressive ! On grass I pull the elevator very early and about 75 % .She gets the nose up early and doesnt seem to accelerate , and runns on the mains only.Then she takes of with an extreme angle of attack being slowly - looks even more impressive ! I really like both variants and couldn`t say what`s better.On our grass field she needs about 70 metres, the video shown in an earlier thread shows the prototype with over 5 Kilogramms!!! take off weight on grass.Standard kits are almost 1 kilogramm lighter. I can also not say what I like better, the heavy one was really nice to fly and the higher weight is helpful for slow take off and landings - the lighter one accelerates better.
Most is depending on personal preferences - I understand different opinions, but as for the EXPO - there is no way without it
Old 10-05-2005, 01:26 AM

Urgent Urgent, I am asking all of you for help ! A big box is lost since the jetPower fair which included my order list and customers adresses.Although I have now Sukhois in stock I am unable to deliver you.If you have ordered a kit then please contact me again.
I am trying to recreate a new order list. It wouldn`t be a problem to deliver those few ones I remember but it would be unfair to all the others who ordered earlier.
So please contact me as soon as possible.
Thank you !
Ilja
GRUMANIA JET MODELS
Old 10-06-2005, 10:25 AM

Hi Staale, Expo is for kids and wimps!!!
Old 10-07-2005, 06:58 AM

Such offending comments are just ridiculous !
Old 10-07-2005, 08:02 AM

Hi GRUMANIA.

My message was an internal joke to Staale, (that`s why it starts with: "Hi Staale") He will take it as a joke, ok?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:42 AM

I always thought the Norwegians have no humour - sorry !!![
Old 10-07-2005, 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: grumania

I always thought the Norwegians have no humour - sorry !!![

Most Norwegians do. ''Rocket man'' does not....
Old 10-07-2005, 11:16 AM

Come up here and fly with us sometime, Ilja - I will show you that both Staale and Rocket Man have humour - they both laugh when my Flanker is burning!!
No, seriously, it would be great to fly with you on a huge Norwegian airfield and show you who has the best beer in Europe!! (after we land the SU27's!!)

Tor

Noen som skal fly i morgen???
Old 10-07-2005, 11:43 AM

Hi staale, here is my formula:

100% skill = 0 % expo
90 % skill = 10% expo ........ and so on. I use 0% expo, where are you in this scale?

Christian
(president in the no expo club)[8D][8D]
Old 10-07-2005, 12:02 PM

Hi Christian!

I just flew the Eurofighter in a new sim that I bought - it's called AeroFly Pro Deluxe, and it's really good!! Next time I'll fly your Eurofighter 1 inch off the runway inverted and VEEEEEEERY slow, because I have tried it on the sim and it's really possible!!!

100% expo= 200% skill!!! I'm worse than the guys who have just found Jesus!!![8D][&:]

Tor
Old 10-07-2005, 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: ROCKET MAN

Hi staale, here is my formula:

100% skill = 0 % expo
90 % skill = 10% expo ........ and so on. I use 0% expo, where are you in this scale?

Christian
(president in the no expo club)[8D][8D]

Then i guess my skills are 20-30% lower than yours[8D]

Here is my version:

0% expo - 100% ignorant

As you can see, I am only 70% ignorant... But you know how many scratched wingtips and landing gears I've broken in the last say two years...

Staale
President of plane depending percentage expo club
Norwegian branch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.