Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Grumania Flanker AIRBORNE!! (Video) >

Grumania Flanker AIRBORNE!! (Video)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Grumania Flanker AIRBORNE!! (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Grumania Flanker AIRBORNE!! (Video)

Hi Glyn,

Your SU-27 looks super. All the best for your maiden!

If you can, come along to RAF Bentwaters on Sunday 29th Jan. We could fly in formation!

One of the attached photo's shows my SU-27 in a steep clime out from very wet grass which was no problem for the MW44.

Best Regards,
Eric
Norwich
[img][/img][img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80301.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	386833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43591.jpg
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	386834  
Old 01-13-2006, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Eric, thanks for your comments. I see you've connected up your rudders too. Are you using them as air brakes (both turned in) as I am?
If so I'm interested to know how effective they are? My friend has a Super Reaper which are notorious for not wanting to land, he mixed both his rudders inward
(so that the fins form a sort of funnel effect) and the transformation was incredible! You can literally see the plane slow up, and with no trim change!
He can land it on a dime now.
regards, Glyn..................
Old 01-13-2006, 05:20 PM

Hi Glyn,

The rudders are very effective as airbrakes.

I need to experiment further as at the moment I can’t decide if the rudders are more effective turned in or turned out. However there application causes a slight nose up pitch together with an enormous increase in drag. I haven’t mixed out the nose up pitch, as I’d be applying up elevator on the approach anyway to keep the nose high. Its possible to get the nose so high on the approach that the Radome drags along the tarmac!

The high drag enables a faster than normal idle setting on the MW44 to be used. This higher idle is usefully if a go-round is decided on as the turbine spools up quicker.

Be cautious with the normal rudder deflection. Start off at 10mm each way. On my first flight I had something like 20mm each way set, the application of which caused a very fast, perfectly axial, roll! Nearly a change of trousers job!

Best Regards,
Eric

[img][/img]

Name:	He96963.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	386937  
Old 01-14-2006, 11:49 AM

Hi Eric, thanks for the info will set up as you say and see how it goes. Is the Bentwater meet a JMA event as I didn't know about it? I'm a JMA member but I've seen nothing on their web site.
thanks again, regards, Glyn.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: jetbike007

Hi Eric, thanks for the info will set up as you say and see how it goes. Is the Bentwater meet a JMA event as I didn't know about it? I'm a JMA member but I've seen nothing on their web site.
thanks again, regards, Glyn.

Hi Glyn,

Bentwaters is not a JMA event, though several who attend, will I suspect, be JMA members!

Check out this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3766899/tm.htm

Regards,
Eric
Old 01-15-2006, 12:47 PM

Hi Glyn!

Your SU27 looks great, as does Eric's! Have you flown it yet? I am very interested in the idea of using the rudders as airbrakes, which servos did you use?

Post some pictures when you have been in the air! Did you receive the CD with engine detail paint tips from Ilja? It looks very good and is not very hard to do!

Best regards to the both of you!

Tor
Old 01-15-2006, 04:56 PM

Hi Tor,
no I didn't get CD on engine paint detail. I'm not going to bother too much about that kind of detail until I've flown her. Maybe then I'll continue a bit further!
The rudder servos are HITECH HS125 MG thin wing servos (only 10mm thick so they fit perfectly) £28 each over here.
Take care will speak again after the maiden.
Glyn.........
Old 01-21-2006, 01:43 PM

Hi all,
just to say that I maidened the sukhoi at RAF Barkston Heath today. No probs at all!! Totally predictable veeeeeery smooth! Decided to reduce aileron travel just a tad to 22mm up / 18mm down as I felt she was just a little too snappy in the roll on full stick travel for my style of flying. Does beautifull slow rolls though. Expo takes a little getting used to when set to Ilja's recommended (never used THAT much before!) but will persevere with it, as it does come in to its own on finals! This model really looks and sounds the part in the air! Really gets on with it on full chat! Had to be careful though as it was quite a strong wind and if you doen't turn the wick down when flying down wind, it's over the hill & far away before you've blinked! Having said that, it copes very well for such a light model.
Just had one little problem, on the second flight the right mains leg didn't retract at all. Tried everything but it wasn't playing ball so finished the flight with all gear down, just needed a few clicks of up elevator to counter the extra drag. On inspection the fulcrum block seems to be just too good a fit on Ilja's retracts and just sticks a little when pushed hard back by the take-off roll. should free off pretty quick I imagine.
Landings------ both perfect, this little beauty almost lands itself!! All in all very very pleased with my purchase and a few nights in the shed!
Get one!! you won't regret it.
Happy building!, I'm off to start on my Skymaster Hawk now, perhaps see you on that forum?
Glyn...............................
Old 01-21-2006, 03:05 PM

my compliments for the maiden flight...

you give me more motivation to start build mine...[&:]
Old 01-21-2006, 03:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alessio,

How many different "projects" do you have up your sleeve ?

Yann
Old 01-21-2006, 04:29 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Y r u offering to help?
Old 01-22-2006, 08:46 AM

Congratulations, Glyn - now you know why I have been so enthusiastic about this litte gem!
She flies great, doesn't she? I will be changing the air intake on mine, though, as I always fly off tarmac and the turbine has been ingesting a lot of very fine gravel and asphalt dust. After just 10-12 flights I had to ship it down to Simjet who found that the bearings were gone and the engine was completely black on the inside. I am making a shroud for the turbine, and opening holes in the wall behind the tanks so it will breed through the wheel wells and the large turbine intakes.

I will be testing this in a month or two when the snow clears... I will possibly have to make the intake holes a little more oval and larger, but there is a good opening from the holes to the rest of the fuselage.

Good luck with your flying!

Tor

Name:	Qo40817.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	392550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82744.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	392551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77141.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	392552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64704.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	392553  
Old 01-22-2006, 09:48 AM

Hi Tor,
thanks for your comments, yeah she's a real pleasure to fly! I love the way she sounds when you do a high "G" banked turn in front of yourself on full bore, it really sounds just like it should!!!
Just got back from our local strip after another session this morning, On a real high now! All the guys are amazed how it looks in the air, always seams much larger with real presence!!
Happy flying, keen to follow your mods to the intake as our tarmac isn't as clean as i would like either.
Glyn..........................
Old 02-06-2006, 10:20 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Has anyone seen a picture of Ilja's SU27 done in the red, white and blue color scheme?

He sent me an email with a shot of it but I could not save it. I hope he will post it on RCU or his web site. It is really a show stopper.

Hal
Old 02-07-2006, 04:24 AM

Here it is - looking very sharp!

Anyone else flying yet?

Tor

Name:	Pm34806.jpg
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	403569  
Old 02-07-2006, 09:00 AM

Here is another very attractive color scheme that Ilja has used for his own Flanker - great looking and propably quite hi-viz when airborne.

Someday, I'll build another of Ilja's SU27s with all the tricks and mod's that I learned from the first one!

Tor

Name:	Nl28776.jpg
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	403654  
Old 03-23-2006, 09:14 AM

I have finally got round to building my SU27.
I am using the supplied retracts, oleos, wheels & brakes.
Can anyone explain how the mains oleo legs are locked to the brake unit to prevent it turning? There are no locating lugs. All there is on the back of the brake is the pipe festo, a threaded pin??? & a raised round pin.
None of which locate the oleo.

Regards
Old 03-23-2006, 09:58 AM

Hello Jim!

I have been flying the Flanker on the ice all winter, and the brakes are not really useful out there!!
Anyway, they work well on tarmac, and here is how I have mounted them - the brake drum actually rotates a little and the threaded pin
locks up against the oleo. I have a slight slack in the air tube, and it has worked very well so far.

Good luck on your building - let us know when you maiden her!

Best regards,
Tor

Name:	Ay76057.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	431473  
Old 03-23-2006, 10:45 AM

Hi Tor, I set up mine the same way as you, but it didn't seem right. I then found two aluminium sleeves in the bag of parts, (also with the sleeves were two brass bushes which fit into the brake unit axle hole). These sleeves have two holes in them & fit over the bottom ends of the oleos. one hole lines up with the threaded hole the axle screws into, & the other fits over the threaded rod that sticks out of the back of the brake. I put a nut on the inside & outside of the threaded rod & this locks up the oleo to the brake unit.

Regards

Name:	Nk28023.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	431487  
Old 03-26-2006, 07:36 AM

You guys that are using the full autostart Simjet 700.
Are you mounting the turbine upside down, or with the glow the normal way up with a hole in the top of the fuselage, & if upside down, do you have to start the engine with the jet also upside down, or does it start ok wheels down.
Just trying to find the best option.

Regards
Old 03-26-2006, 01:05 PM

Hi Jim!

I never saw the alu sleeves - and as long as it works, why change it??
Anyway, I have mounted my Simjet 700 upside down, with access to the plug and heat sensor - and as I do not have onboard gas,
I always bring (or find) a small table and start the turbine while the plane is lying on its back. (Put a piece of cloth/foam under the canopy!)
This way, if you ever have a wet start or flames from the gas, the heat and flames will disappear upwards and do no harm to the plane.
After the turbine has started, I simply turn it over and put it down on the runway, ready for take-off.
Just make sure your fuel lines and clunks are flexible enough to fall to
the very bottom of the tanks when the plane is turned.
This is not always the case when the temp is -15 degrees C!!![X(]
Old 03-26-2006, 01:41 PM

Hi Tor, Many thanks for the info. I will mount mine upside down. Good idea for wet starts.

Ilja e-mailed me when I first posted about fixing the oleo to the brake unit. He told me about the aluminium sleeves & said he would post some to me if needed. They certainly fix the units together solidly.

My tank tubes should be flexible. It is cold today at 22 celcius.

Best regards
Old 03-26-2006, 04:53 PM

I wanna move to Cyprus.....[8D][8D]