Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Airworld Hawk Building thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Airworld Hawk Building thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 06:49 AM
Falcon 64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airworld Hawk Building thread

Hi Mark and David.

Very informative work too both of you!
This thread will be very valuable, and save others alot of ploundering.

Soo, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

The manual is allready added to my favourites..
I`m following your progress closely, and looking forward to the next steps here in this thread.

From the closeup of the retracted gear, it seems to be a stunning quality...
I guess the rest is in the same cathegory.. (?)

How many hours of work do you think will be spendt to complete it?

Can I get moore pics of the fuselage? Any will do.

Brg
Gudmund
Old 11-11-2005, 07:10 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Gudmund,

There is a LOT of work to do on this model and as you can see it is, unfortunately, hampered by no clues or instructions!

I am used to opening kit boxes and seeing fully painted jets that are ready to go in 3-4 days (have a look at my Lightning thread ) so this is a bit of a change - should be worth it in the end though!

The retracts are probably the most impressive part of this 'kit'. They look ideal for grass field operation although I did find a 'problem' with my mounting rails. I can only assume they were installed very slightly at the wrong angle. This meant that with the gear retracted the main gear door would just hit the tire when closed. I checked and double checked to make sure my retract unit was fully raised and under pressure but it would still hit the door. As you can see from the main gear installation notes I made, I added some shims (approx 1.5mm) under the retract units and this solved the problem. Annoying nonetheless.

Will look to get the wing bolts/mounts in over the weekend. At least then I can stand it on its wheels and take some more pics of the fuselage for you

Hours to complete? Well, a wild guess would say you'd need about 80hrs to get it ready for final paint/install. David will probably be more accurate!

Rgds,
Mark

PS Will try and keep on top of the manual. As you can see from my other thread, my Lightning has turned up too so I will be moving between the two projects now!
Old 11-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread guys... would you consider me too greedy if I asked for some more pics to be added wherever you have a chance during the explanations of steps and/or modifications ?

This kit is high up on my list of "possibles" for the future (since I really love the Hawk), so the more details & pics you are willing to share, the better. I know it takes time cleaning the glue off your hands to grab the camera all the time (plus clearing the junk out of the way for a good pic), so don't think your efforts are unappreciated !

Cheers,
Gordon
Old 11-11-2005, 09:45 AM
schroedm

Hi Gordon,

No probs from me! I ummed and erred about the best way to do a "build thread" as the 'thread' always gets broken up with general chat/questions/answers etc

That's why I decided to produce the 'guides' which have all the photos/notes I've taken/made. I am not sure the best way to ensure they don't get "lost" amongst all the other stuff. May just repost links to them every few postings.

I'll try and throw in a spattering of general pics as we go too!

For now, in case you missed them, here are the notes I've made so far....

NoseGear/Former guide [link=http://www.mark.schroeder.dsl.pipex.com/Hawk/NoseGear.pdf]here [/link]
MainGear Install guide [link=http://www.mark.schroeder.dsl.pipex.com/Hawk/MainGear.pdf]here [/link]

Any better ideas of how to run a decent, controlled build thread?

Rgds,
Mark
Old 11-13-2005, 05:38 PM
schroedm

Don't be fooled! This kit is a KIT

Spent this evening faffing around with the wing mounting - infact spent most of the evening trying to rescue the smaller rear wing tube which disappeared into thin air. Thought I was going mad when I couldn't find it - then the penny dropped when I picked up the wing and heard a rattle!!! It seems they forget to 'plug' the end of the wing tube sleeve so it had simply slid through the sleeve and into the wing!! argh!!! Ended up having to cut a hole in the trailing edge and attempted to coax the tube out of it! NOT fun Little things like this bug me!

Anyway, have got the two front wing bolts in - just the rear to do. However, the fuselage has dihedral moulded into it and the rear rail is dead straight which means that when it is in place there is a 2-3mm 'cavity' that you either have to just fill up with glue or you'll need to fashion a wooden 'insert' - none of it hard but all just sillyness in such an expensive kit [:@] Should have it finished tomorrow evening. Instruction guide will follow (there are a few pitfalls to watch for even in this simple stage!) Pics of the front bolts... (Oooo, exciting!)

Rgds,
Mark

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76417.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	353728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66380.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	353729  
Old 11-20-2005, 05:43 PM
schroedm

Well, it's official - 8 week old children DO encroach on your building time

Finally, got round to getting the wing mounts in New guide for that step is here.....

Wing Mounting guide - http://www.mark.schroeder.dsl.pipex....ngMounting.pdf

As before, can other Hawk builders let me know anything I have missed!!!

Older ones.....
NoseGear/Former guide - http://www.mark.schroeder.dsl.pipex....k/NoseGear.pdf
MainGear Install guide - http://www.mark.schroeder.dsl.pipex....k/MainGear.pdf

I can't believe David and I are the only people building this kit!! Let's see some others chime in!!

Rgds,
Mark

Old 11-20-2005, 09:58 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Mark wrote ...
<snip> ... I can't believe David and I are the only people building this kit!!
Not to worry, I'm with you ... Waiting for you to finish those outstanding build scripts, Mark. I'm saving them all - along with my $$ to buy the kit - and await flight tests. As others have already said: Keep up the good work! Fwiw, My 1st turbine-powered model jet was an FD3 67 in a Jim Fox Hawk! [8D] I *do* have a soft spot for the Hawk.

Cheers.

Mike
Old 11-22-2005, 04:52 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

No progress on the Hawk as I've been working on my Mig 29 getting it ready for its first flight, hopefully on Friday, (and writing up the Hawk build report for RCJI) but some help please:

Does anyone know if there is a 2k primer available, such as PPG available in WHITE (the old K+B stuff would have been perfect !)

Stephan Volker's big Hawk had a double pulse strobe light, anyone know a source of these.

I am not getting any reply to my emails and fax to Air World which have included an order for as second kit, seems strange, anyone know what gives?

Regards,

David Gladwin
Old 11-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Falcon 64

I saw a car primed in white yesterday. They used Standox 2k primer. So if you can`t find what you`re after, a visit to the local car-paint dealer might solve it.
Btw, great review on the Hawk!

Brg
Gudmund
Old 11-22-2005, 05:25 PM
schroedm

David,

Not sure what's going on with AW - have sent them a couple of e-mails but had no reply. Interestingly, I normally get a read receipt on the mails but have not had one for either mail. Their e-mail is down or they're not around to pick up the mail I guess? Or, of course, they're just ignoring us

Rgds,
Mark
Old 11-23-2005, 03:37 PM
David Gladwin

Just had an email from Hans -Dieter. He has been away and coms. should be back to normal. My second kit should be ready in February and I will design and build a mod. for a removeable fin and the fuselage with a transport joint as per the real Hawk. I will pass it on for those interested. May also do a larger duct for AMTNL Pegasus HPES power but the duct will need to be flattened at the bottom (a bit like the 737-300 cowls) as space above the wing is limited. Anyone interested let me know.

Regards,

David Gladwin
Old 11-23-2005, 05:52 PM
schroedm

David,

Would be VERY interested to see those items - especially the removeable fin mod!

I'm about to cut the speedbrake out so as to give me some better access at the rear for mouting rear formers/tail/rudder etc. Could you take a photo to show how you hinged your speedbrake for me please??

Thanks,
Mark

Name:	Sq48278.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	359301  
Old 11-24-2005, 06:45 PM
schroedm

Well, cut the airbrake out tonight.

A word of warning - don't use the moulded lines in the fuselage as gospel. Cut inside them by 2-3mm and then slowly and patiently work on opening up the hole to the right size all round and you should end up with a nice fitting airbrake.

Now I have access to the rear of the fuse I hope to get on and install the tailplane/rudder/rear formers etc

Rgds,
Mark

PS Any luck with an airbrake hinging photo David?

Name:	Tq48546.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	359799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96826.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	359800  
Old 11-25-2005, 01:18 AM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful work guys.

I stopped by Henry Nguyen's shop yesterday. Two Hawks currently on the building table. Should be a couple of prime examples when Henry is done with them.

Old 11-25-2005, 03:19 AM
schroedm

Hi John,

Is Henry building them for a well known pilot from the UK?

Rgds,
Mark
Old 11-25-2005, 01:10 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: schroedm

Hi John,

Is Henry building them for a well known pilot from the UK?

Rgds,
Mark
Hi Mark,

Yes, one of them is going back to the UK I believe.

Mine will get here in February also. Hope to get one of your manuals then

Have you decided on a paint scheme yet? I want to do something non-arrows. Do by any chance have any photos of Hawks in military schemes with lots of armament hanging underneath?
Old 11-25-2005, 03:51 PM
schroedm

Hi John,

I keep thinking I should do a scheme that is going to be different to all the other "Red Arrows" that will be out there. There are one or two 'celebratory' schemes that I quite like as well as several camo schemes but something still keeps making me want to do the 'Arrows' scheme

Here are a few schemes I've been tempted by - maybe you'll be inspired by one of them....then again, maybe not!!

Rgds,
Mark

Name:	Ec89681.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	360102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68841.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	360103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75216.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	360104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14272.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	360105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do81346.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	360106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb45127.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	360107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik90785.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	360108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wv74383.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	360109  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj83061.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	360110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ob24223.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	360111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq72577.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	360112  
Old 11-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Falcon 64

A military jet with sivil colours is always nice..
The grey variants can be too much sometimes...
A table of goodies is easily exposed by a quick search on Google.
I know what I want on that table......

Brg
G
Old 11-28-2005, 06:27 PM
David Gladwin

I will do some airbrake photos later, been away for a few days at our big Australian jet meeting. Still on Cloud 9 afer succesful first flight on my FC Mig 29. What an awesome machine !! Second Hawk starts in February. Target weight with AMTNL Pegasus HPES 19.99 kilos ! Should manage that with my first with Jetcat 160.
Regards,

David Gladwin.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:40 PM
David Gladwin

Photo attached.

Method:
Pass one CF tube through both arms of brake.

When glued in, trim off excess tube flush with arms (this ensures axes are concentric.)
Tap tube to hold SH bolts which act as pivot pins.

Make brackets (1/4 ply) to glue to fuse. in which pass two CF tubes which act as bearings for unthreaed portion of SH bolts.
Tape brake in place and tack glue brackets with CA. Chexk fit and function.

IF OK glue in brackets with Hysol. (more to be added in this pic)

Make sure hingle point is as close to fuse skin as possible. Works very smoothly over entire travel (60 degrees is correct angle )

Using this method means that the brake can be easily removed if neccessary and is very strong and smooth acting.

Regards,

david Gladwin.

Name:	Xv64020.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	361747  
Old 12-11-2005, 04:08 AM
David Gladwin

Wings are joined. No problems. Some light sanding of the root flanges produces a perfect fit. It may appear difficult to push the wing halves fully home. This is because the phenolic tubes are such a good fit on the aluminium wing spar that pushing the wing panels together compresss the air in the wing tubes as it is trapped, acting like a piston !

The canopy is done. The frame requires some light sanding to allow a perfect fit of the transparency, also useful for growing tomatoes it is so big ! Careful work is required here and the canopy can be easily scratched.

The frame was located using two CF rods to locate the front and two glass tongues on each side. The latch at the rear was located as high as posible in the fuselage but even then would not locate properly in the canopy frame. A slot was filed in the frame and a short length of brass tube glued into it to capture the latch "prong". The tube was secured with two strips of glass board glued AND SCREWED to the canopy frame. The suction on this canopy is likely to be considerable so it must be firmly secured by very solid mounting of the latch and the receptacle, brass tube, in the canopy frame.

The more I work on this kit the more I like it, no. 2 will be even better.

Hawk equals Red Arrows. The sad news is that Ray Hannah, leader of the Reds for four years died last week, aged 77 STILL flying Spitfires.

Finally, DO take care when using Dremel cut-off wheels. When cutting slots for the locating tongues in my Hawk canopy frame a wheel exploded and the bits hit me in the face. I have badly cut lips BUT it could have been my eyes that recreived the debris. I have to wear glasses to see my work but if you dont need corrective glasses DO wear safety glasses.

Regards,

David Gladwin.

Name:	Ur52439.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	368138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21025.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	368139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61281.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	368140  
Old 01-13-2006, 04:19 PM
David Gladwin

Well come on guys SOMEONE must be progressing with his Hawk. Just the flap and aileron hinge fairings to go and mine is ready for primer. Second one arrives soon, that build will be much quicker.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:38 PM
schroedm

David,

New job, burglary, new house and new baby have put a big brake on my progress [&:]

You are now the upholder of the build thread for the next few weeks so step up to the plate and fufil your duties

Lets see some pics!

Rgds,
Mark
Old 01-15-2006, 10:08 PM
David Gladwin

You asked for pictures :

A few points. The canopy has been finally trimmed ready for glueing to the frame. I trimmed the frame to allow the canopy to sit slightly below the fuselage line so that the reinforcing straps at the front and rear of the canopy will be flush with the fuse/ forward windscreen profile. This is wrong, the straps are chamfered to mee the profiles. I will make the straps from .005 glass board, looks about right.

The access hatches have been hinged and stiffeners added. The hatches have distorted very slightly after removal. My next Hawk will have a couple of layers of glass cloth added in the hatch area to stiffen them. One hatch will allow access for fuel, gas (if still being used) and air. One will be for switch access, charging sockets and viwing the Power Box status lights.

The various vents, scoops on the fuselage sides can be seen, aluminium and plastic tubing used.

The ventral fins are installed. The longitudanal formers need to have spacers added to which the fins are fixed. You cannot move the formers inboard to mount the ventrals direct as the speedbrake (airbrake in RAF terms, been flying American aircraft too long !) will collide with them. After final glueing of the ventrals to the spacers the interor will be lined with 1/64th ply faced with litho plate.

Also visible is the bracket strip mounted at the tops of the ventrals made of thin glass board. The ventral mounting strap moulded into the fuselage is not quite right. It should be thicker and wider with two rows of rivets and three lugs where the strap is mouted to the fuselage former.

When the ventrals are added I suggest that a block of foam is taped to the fuselage between the fins so that they do not get damaged when placed on the bench etc.

For all these small details the photo CD which I shot at Scampton will shortly be available from Traplet and is invaluable.
Thats just about the fuselage finished, now for the wings, mainly flap hinge fairings and fences. Regards, David Gladwin.

Name:	Rp43851.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	388519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98003.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	388520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51814.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	388521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92555.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	388522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93579.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	388523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10981.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	388524  
Old 01-16-2006, 05:09 PM
schroedm

Nice work David!

Have you had the pleasure of installing the cockpit kit yet?

Rgds,
Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.