Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Exhaust turn around

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Exhaust turn around

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 10:19 PM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust turn around

This pipe is going into a CBM F-16 and I would like to know what you guy's suggest to turn the exhaust around and spit it back out the rear. It will be running inside the fuse and nicely hidden for a very scale look to the CBM F-16.

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:31 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

put a Sillicon hose on it and dump it out the bottom of the fuse.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:55 AM
Goggles

I have looked into what you had mentioned Terry however where the exhaust ends is right above the gear and I would be running the hose right through it. So unfortunatly a good idea can not be used.
I read some where about pinching off the end and installing a pipe running forward right behind the 'bell' of the pipe but I didn't want to sacifice power or a new pipe if this didn't work. That would solve my problem all together though.

Has any one heard of this or any one have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Kelvin.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:58 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Kelvin...

Get a brass pipe the same diameter as the pipe outlet. Pinch off the pipe and and fold it over once. At the widest part of the bell drill a hole sized to accommodate the brass pipe. Drill strait into the bell at 90 deg then slowly lay the drill down towards the engine end of the pipe. Essentially you want to create a hole to allow the brass pipe to exit the bell facing the engine. Once the hole is drilled, sand the pipe and the brass tube, clean with alcohol and glue the tube in place using epoxy and chopped carbon fiber. I also made a support bracket to hold the brass tube about four inches in towards the engine (a wrap or two of carbon tape would work too). Let the epoxy set for a few days.... Now put the engine on the stand and tune the pipe! You will have zero power loss with this method. Use a 10x7 APC prop... Feel free to contact me via email if this is not clear....

Todd
Old 11-12-2002, 03:20 PM
Goggles

Great LOV2, that's exactly what I need!
How far in should the brass pipe be?
Would JB Weld work also or is the epoxy and CF the best method?

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:04 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Just insert the pipe about 1/2". JB Weld might work, never tried it but have over 150 flights on this setup with epoxy and CF mix so I would stick with that. The plane is now in a frieds hands, he broke the needle valve ( ) and the engine is out of the plane so if you need some pics I might be able to take some...Let me know...

Todd