Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

West System Epoxy

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

West System Epoxy

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 09:17 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default West System Epoxy

Guys,

Crashed my F-16 today and need to do some serious glasswork. Where can I buy some West System epoxy and carbon fiber cloth, preferably the same place.

Can anyone tell me if it is easy to use, easy to apply to CF and FG?

Thanks,

David
Old 12-18-2005, 09:21 PM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: West System Epoxy

http://www.cstsales.com/
Old 12-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I thought Tam bought up the world's supply of West systems for the F-16 production line....
Old 12-18-2005, 11:35 PM
FalconWings

Thanks Kenny,

what is a good filler to use with glass work?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:03 AM
3DHELINUT
My Feedback: (3)

David if you are talking about a filler for finishing i would recommend Icing from US Chemicals. It's light weight for a filler, cures in 5 to 7 minutes and sands easily.

you can get it at any good automotive paint shop or order it on-line. [link=http://www.handsontools.com/store-products-Refinish-Detailing-Body-Repair-Products-Putties-Fillers-Putties-USC26006-USC-ICING-®-Pourable-Brushable-Polyester-Finishing-Putty,-24-oz.-Tube_9171.html]USC ICING[/link]

Alan
Old 12-19-2005, 12:10 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Art's Hobby stocks everything you need.

http://www.arts-hobby.com/store/
Old 12-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

You can also buy it locally at the high end Boat suppliers,we get it from "Boaters World" here.I'm not sure if you have those around there or not however

Steve
Old 12-19-2005, 07:46 AM
Kevin East
My Feedback: (1)

David

Sorry to hear that. Do you know what happened?

Kevin
Old 12-19-2005, 08:05 AM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Gordon Dickens published a very informative - if not inspiring - "how-to" article on the Georgia Jets website: [link=http://www.georgiajets.org/Library/Tips_and_Techniques/GlassRepair/glassrepair.html]Crash Repair[/link]

Mike
Old 12-19-2005, 09:20 AM
FalconWings

Hi Kevin,

It was my first flight. The plane took off fine, flew fine. I dumb thumbed it. After a couple of passes I started to fly some scale aerobatics.....went to do a barrel roll and tightened too much the roll at the top, so it kind of snapped. After that it all went down hill. I pointed the nose down to gain airspeed but the ground beat me to it.
Broke the belly and two main bulkheads. I do have those 2 formers brand new sitting in my garage. The kit Im building included all the Ducted Fan hardware including those two bulkheads.

Ohh yeah, this wansn't the turbine one, just a DF that I bought for fun.
Could have used 4 more pounds of thrust.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:46 AM
FalconWings

Alan, the material of my F-16 is Epoxy-glass so I don't know that Icing would bond properly, being Polyester based.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:03 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The polyestyer fillers bond fine in my experience.

I also use some stuff called "Split second" It's consistency is almost as light as whipped cream. Lightest I have seen, but I have only tried about 1/2 a dozen brands.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:04 AM
GJM

David,

Check out Aircraft Spruce & Specialty www.aircraftspruce.com. They stock West Systems, several different surface fillers, and both 12x12 plain and 2x2 twill carbon (both in the 5.8oz range).

Good Luck,
Brian
Old 12-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Also you can support a RCU member whom sells West Systems.Dreamworks Model Products sells it too.Todd has good prices on it too.I didnt know he even sold it till I browsed his site this morning for any new products[8D]

Steve
Old 12-19-2005, 10:33 AM
FalconWings

ORIGINAL: Steve S

Also you can support a RCU member whom sells West Systems.Dreamworks Model Products sells it too.Todd has good prices on it too.I didnt know he even sold it till I browsed his site this morning for any new products[8D]

Steve
That was the first place I tried and couldn't find it. I ordered it from Art's Hobby Supplies, thanks Gary!

I also ordered some Milled Microfibers to do the filling work, hope it works. You mix it with West's stuff.

I ordered the slow cure hardener (206). I would like to get as less viscocity as posssile so that the carbon lays down easily. The cloth is 2.6 oz.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:24 PM
FalconWings

All,

I received the materials last night and got to the job right away. I ordered the -206 hardener (slow-cure) and it was great. I cleaned all F/G chunks with Denatured Alcohol, rough sanded and glued with CA------kinda like a puzzle for grown-ups (now I know how it must feel working for the NTSB).
After gluing the chips and pieces to the airframe, I covered the area with 3M Automotive tape and layed the Carbon Cloth (2.5 oz/in^2) on the inside fuse. The West System stuff is really easy to use and the very low viscosity makes it a dream to brush onto the cloth. I soaked the cloth in resin, let it adhere for a while and then removed all the excess by wiping it out with a paper towel. I removed enough to let it almost dry to touch. Ohh yeah, I layed down the cloth using a mist coat of 3M spray-on adhesive No. 77, makes things so much easier because the cloth stays in place.

At fist thought I did a ****ty glass job because the fuselage felt weak and flexible...........boy was I wrong. I woke up this morning (after 12 hrs cure) , went to the garage and it is as stiff as it wil ever be. Better than it was when new if you ask me.

Now to my complaint [:@]. Yellow Aircraft really Fuc** up with the formers on this model. My older "C' version took a beating 4 times as hard and the formers/main gear remained intact. I think Yellow knows better than to provide this kit with such a pice of Ship High In-Tranist former.
So, in-lieu of this, I have reinforced my new Formers with Carbon on both sides. Don't get me wrong, I still like YA kits a lot but somebody needs to rethink this throughly. My turbine bird will have all these mods as well.

Will post pics tonight. I hope this thread make people want to fix their wreckages. I normally throw my models away pretty fast or give them away, but this one I felt up to the challenge and it seems to be working out. If I can then anyone can.