Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CJM He-162 ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CJM He-162 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Oberfeldwebel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CJM He-162 ?

I have a CJM He-162 that's the ducted fan version. Has anyone put a turbine in this version and what were the results, because CJM also makes a turbine version of this same airplane. In their ad, they claim that the tail section is made using hi-temp epoxy. Could the turbine exhaust soften the epoxy in the DF version, perhaps with disastrous results. Any thoughts on this out there in jet land.
Thanks[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 05-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Katchmarek
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CJM He-162 ?

Oberfeldwebel, I'm trying to find out this same thing! I have been told that the DF can be converted to turbine, but haven't had any definite confirmation. If anyone has done this, PLEASE let us know!
Thanks,
Rob
Old 05-18-2006, 10:25 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

I know Lewis Patten flew a turbine 162 back in the day. I think it had a old Ram in it. It had aluminum tape on the fus top and stab
Freddy
Old 05-19-2006, 07:39 AM
Oberfeldwebel

That's interesting, a club member here in Austin mentioned something similar.
Katch, where's Oak Ridge? used to live in Jersey, Old Tappan near the Tappan Zee bridge.
Belonged to RocklandCountyRC club. Flew in Orangeburg, NY.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:01 AM
Katchmarek

Hmmm...strange, I lived in Austin for a bit too, after I got out of the Army back in '75. Great city! Oak Ridge, in in the NW corner of Morris County on the Morris/Passaic border by West Milford...in between Rt 15 and Rt 23.
Rob
Old 05-19-2006, 07:03 PM
kilr
My Feedback: (8)

Oberfeldwebel, yes if can be converted to turbine. I sent you a pm
Old 05-19-2006, 07:04 PM
kilr

if=it bad spelling, sorry
Old 05-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Katchmarek

killr, Could you please send me the same info that you sent oberfledwebel?
Thanks,
Rob
Old 05-19-2006, 08:43 PM
kilr

Katchmarek, sent you a pm. There is a thread of an he162 build in the warbirds section if you want to see the kit.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Roger Shook
My Feedback: (19)

hi guys,
I am building a tailpipe this weekend for CJM for a 162, if you are interested, it would be simple to make a couple more at the same time.
Regards, Roger Shook
Old 05-20-2006, 04:35 AM
Katchmarek

kilr, Got it, thanks much. Exactly what I was looking for, and pretty much what I've been told although much more detailed...much appreciated.
Thanks again,
Rob
Old 05-31-2006, 11:17 AM
Heatseeker_Hill

i wanna know what it will fly like with a turbine . i have a turbine version 90% built and was gonna fit a 20lb turbine but not sure of the models characteristics in flight. any ideas ??????????
Old 05-31-2006, 01:51 PM
MDEE

I have flown well over 200 flights on various turbine powered Heinkel 162s, I love them because of their unusual profile and the fact that everyone thinks they are ugly plus no one ever flys them , not,repeat not, because of their flight characteristics.
If you look on the cjm site you will see Bob Birketts 162, that I have flown, also AMT Netherlands gallery shows my 162, I have also flown a zirolli 162 using a 5lb Schreckling, that was really nice until the turbine set fire to the tail.
All He 162s have a visibility problem, it is easy to become disorientated if you have the rudders blue, a few had dark green rudders, they are much easier to see.
The engine location is not the best, particularly if you show off to a cameraman on a very slow pass, then apply full throttle, you will mush into the ground. Take off needs lots of elevator to overcome the engine pushing the nose down, I used 2 rates, take off and normal flight.
Landing as I do on 120 yards of grass needs a very quickly accelerating turbine to adjust descent accurately, I have always used AMT Netherlands Mercurys for my latest 162s because of the unbeatable throttle response. I used to have one of the first amt mercurys that had a reasonable response but when I got the latest version the difference in acceleration made landings far easier.
If you mess up the landing you need immediate power and all the elevator you can get.
The secret is to keep 162s as light as possible and you must have the fuel on cg, not easy with the cjm because the gear bulkhead gets in the way. You will have to modify it.
Gear is a major issue, as are the wheels, the bigger the better, I bought some beautiful expensive Glennis wheels for my cjm but they are the wrong size, far too small to be scale, and too small for grass, they sit looking beautiful in a box.
So in conclusion not an easy plane to fly, looks good in the air and is also quite fast, my german 162 with no gear reached 209 mph on the radar but the tail servos were starting to blow back.
Dont forget to heatproof the upper fuselage and center tail section
They don't glide or like being on fire
Lets say they are a rewarding challenge
Good Luck ! you will need it
If you want to know more pm me

Regards

Mark Diggle