Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
regal eagle and os 91 ducted fan engine >

regal eagle and os 91 ducted fan engine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

regal eagle and os 91 ducted fan engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default regal eagle and os 91 ducted fan engine

please help i have bought a regal eagle fitted with a os91 and ramtec fan i dont know what fuel to ue in the engine ive heard diffrent stories on using castor or synthetic oil. also does anyone know where i can get a clear canopy for my model? ive seen models which have a single engine but twin pipes on theback for a more scaleapperance how doesthis affect the air flow coming of the fan? and finally does anyone have the web address for bob parkisons models as i cant find it through search engines.
any help with any of the above subjects would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-29-2002, 10:32 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default Parkinson Email

Try www.rcjets.com

Be VERY careful dealing with Parkinson. Use a credit card so if you have a problem you can utilize their complaint department.

There have been many complaints concerning Parkinson.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:45 AM
My Feedback: (13)

Viles,

I've actually had 2 Regal Eagles. one that was already built and the other I built myself.

It's a good flying plane with plenty of lift, but not a speed demon.

For fuel I used Wildcat 5% and kept it just a tad on the rich side. Had more than 50 runs before it had a close encounter with a power line (the power line won..)

The twin exhaust is fine, I had a Byron fan with my O.S 91 in it..

It flys nice but I would hight recommend changing the elevator and aileron servo placement locations. I put my Elevator servos just in front of the staps and the aileron servos just about 3 inches in front of the ailerons. Via the plans I had SEVERE flutter on the elevators which tore loose all the hinges on the right stab and half on the left.. I was very lucky I got it down in one piece..

Build it light and it should fly fine..

Good luck

Hank
Old 12-30-2002, 01:51 AM
My Feedback: (1)

As I doubt you will get wildcat fuel over here in the UK I would suggest the Irvine mix 5% fuel from model tecknics as most seemed to use it.
It`s also a good idea to get a stock of McCoy 9 plugs. Mikes models have them.

jason
Old 12-31-2002, 10:54 AM

tankyou very much so usesfull information cheers
Old 05-11-2004, 06:06 AM
BPM

Default RE: regal eagle and os 91 ducted fan engine

Hi Viles,
First I spent many hours testing my twin tailcone design, only for appearance,.
The Regal eagle is designed to fly just as we advertise.
Now to the help you need.
Fuel is the number 1 enimy of ducted fan engines.
Use any fuel with 20 % oil, no more , no less, I have found that 50% of the oil be castor and my engines last for years.
The Regal Eagle will fly with a lapped .61 engine so why lean out a .91?, you have plenty of power.
Bob / Bob Parkinson models.
E-mail [email protected] --- www.rcjets.com
Old 05-20-2004, 11:42 PM

what percentage of nitro should I use I have an OS 77 in mine... the first flight I didnt know whta type of fuel so I used Magnum #2.. the plane went vertical after takeoff and kept going.// on a high speed flyby the plane dove for the ground ... I pulled back on the throttle and recovered .. it did it everytime I went ful lthrottle.. I imagine now I was using too high a nitro and was going way toooo fast... it was a rush though !
Old 05-21-2004, 08:09 AM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Asanders

what percentage of nitro should I use I have an OS 77 in mine... the first flight I didnt know whta type of fuel so I used Magnum #2.. the plane went vertical after takeoff and kept going.// on a high speed flyby the plane dove for the ground ... I pulled back on the throttle and recovered .. it did it everytime I went ful lthrottle.. I imagine now I was using too high a nitro and was going way toooo fast... it was a rush though !
Sounds like you have gold'n'rods or some other substandard control system on your elevators. Make sure that's stiff enough.

Then you can't have too much nitro as long as the engine runs well. Sometimes too much nitro causes too much compression and rough running. SO if it's running well, the nitro isn't a problem. It will also run OK on too little oil right up until the engine siezes or comes apart. Make sure the mixture is set so you can see the exhaust oil trail against a blue sky. If you can't see the exhaust, you are risking the engine.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:26 AM
BPM

Hi ,
Nitro is not your problem, Speed is not your problem.
It sounds like your Regal is a little NOSE HEAVY, combined with sloppy nyrods or elevator push rods, I designed the Regal to fly with a .61 lapped engine. So flying with an .91 would increase speed puting more load on the elevators, hence when you slowed down you reduced the load and regained control. Your Regal can be modified easy, Change your ELEVATOR servo to pull for UP and check the ballance of the plane.
Regards,
Bob Parkinson.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:30 AM

Thanks for you replies.. I flew it yesterday with 10 percent and it did the same thing as I got to top speed.. the plane was a little lethargic on take off though.. I sure got a rush out of that almost vertical takeoff onthe higher nitro.. I richened the mixture too so I had a good trail of smoke

I checked the servos and the pushrods.. the push rods are metal and are at the tail end of the plane.. someone at my field suggested using stronger pushrods ... I will check the balance .. although I dont have any plans i bought this used and already built.. it sure is a fun plane and something different at the field.. I love the way it lands!

I also had to put some yellow wingtips on the plane ..I have the gray camo scheme and almost lost it yesterday in our cloudy sky !