Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM Metal-Kote

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM Metal-Kote

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 06:54 PM
CJ2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BVM Metal-Kote

Hi All,

Just wondered if anybody here has had any experience of applying BVM Metal-Kote that they would like to share with us?

Cheers,

Dick Spreadbury
England
Old 02-05-2002, 11:47 PM
telstar

Default BVM Metal-Kote

Hi Dick,

I sent you a private message. Great to see you around.

Cheers!

Sean
Old 02-07-2002, 05:23 AM
Captainbob
My Feedback: (4)

Default BVM metalcote

i just finished an F-100 with BVM metalcote. I've been spraying all my life and this stuff is different than anything i've ever applied. Not bad mind you, just differend. First of all it is extremely thin and weak as far as paint goes, it dries as fast as it hits the surface and it has very little (meaning no) resistance to abrasion. Do not try to build a film with it as this is not possible. Get it down then do not touch it not even with a rag or paper towl, and then spray on the clear bonder which improves its adhesion and provides a barrier for the clear coat. Now it's time to get on the first coat of clear even before graphics or rivets. More work and a new technique but the results are worth it!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2002, 05:57 PM
F9F Texan

Default BVM Metal-Kote

Please post pictures. I need to decide if I want to use BV's stuff or Presto.
Thanks, Johnny
Old 02-07-2002, 07:09 PM
Captainbob
My Feedback: (4)

Default pix

Sorry Johny,
no digicam or scanner.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:24 PM
CJ2002

Default BVM Metal-Kote

Captainbob,

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Co-incidentally, a 'pack' of Metal-Kote arrived today...I bought it from a friend who felt intimidated by the process, after buying the stuff!

I must admit, you don't get much for a lot of money but then, having seen Ian Richardson's fantastic F-100, it's worth every penny...if I can apply it properly!! (See a picture of Ian's F-100 at http://www.ukjets.demon.co.uk go to gallery and Winter Jets piece.)

Incidentally, my aim is to use my Metal-Kote on a Mick Reeves Lightning model but I might 'trial' it on a DH 108 Swallow that I'm building at the moment.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes!

Cheers,

Dick Spreadbury
England
Old 02-07-2002, 08:44 PM
F9F Texan

Default BVM Metal-Kote

Thanks, Dick, for the oppertunity to see a really beautiful F-100.
I guess I'm going to have to use Presto to get the "polished" look I need.
Thanks again, Johnny
Old 02-07-2002, 10:27 PM
CJ2002

Default BVM Metal-Kote

Hi Johnny,

Presto certainly gives a polished metal finish and, despite what everybody will tell you, it isn't that difficult to apply - might get a bit 'trying' sometimes but follow a few simple rules and you'll crack it very quickly.

I did my Avonds F-104 in Solartrim, which is the same stuff as Presto, and I was/am pleased with the finish (did it 3 yrs back...sat here beside me looking almost as good as new!).

Telstar do a video dedicated to the application of Presto...Sean Kalil (?) is your man...I know he's on this forum sometimes...this is what I studied before doing my Starfighter and, if you follow the advice that Jerry Caudle gives you on the tape, you'll ace it!

Cheers,

Dick
Old 05-03-2005, 01:28 AM
mickreeves

Default RE: BVM Metal-Kote

Colin Strauss has finished his Lightning in Flair Aluclad. Good result
Photos at www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk . On JETS then LIGHTNING page.
Mick
Old 05-03-2005, 05:27 AM
CJ2002

ORIGINAL: mick reeves

Colin Strauss has finished his Lightning in Flair Aluclad. Good result
Photos at www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk . On JETS then LIGHTNING page.
Mick
Mick,

Colin's Lightning looks superb! I've tried Aluclad (3M aluminium tape) and found it difficult to get a decent finish - obviously Colin's found a good technique with it. Co-incidentally, the scheme I've chosen for my Lightning is also 111 sqn, but I'm going to make a squared off fin and do a Mk 3...that's when ever I get around to it!

Cheers,

Dick

Old 05-03-2005, 01:27 PM
S_Ellzey

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I am going to do my F-100 in Metal-Kote II later this year. I have practiced on several test parts to get a feel for it. It is a bit more work than normal paint, but the results are very good. The newer Metal-Kote II is more durable than the original, you can handle it and even wash it as long as you do not use a solvent, but you still need to clear coat it to make it last.

I got my best results putting it on as light as possible, so light that you can barely see the first coat. After it was all finished I probably made a dozen passes to get it there, but since it drys so fast it does not take that much time.

As I said, my experience is limited to tests and an airbrush effect on the tail cone that is finished; I painted the side of a gallon can and several of the throw-away fiber glass parts from the kit, but with that practice I feel good about the whole model.

Steven
Old 05-03-2005, 03:17 PM
CJ2002

Steve,

Thanks for that...I've heard good things abt Metalkote II and may well give it a go on my Lightning (whenever I get around to it!). I never got around to using my pack of original Metalkote - a friend bought it off me and applied it to a Trim Sabre...he made a beautiful job of it but it wasn't without its trials!

Rgds,

Dick

Old 08-01-2006, 04:15 AM
mickreeves

have a look at www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk Mick