Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Simjet owners, how do you like your turbine?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Simjet owners, how do you like your turbine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 07:32 AM
crazy+plane=yes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Simjet owners, how do you like your turbine?

Hi Chuck,

I totally agree with you that Lars is a stalwart to the industry and really quite a true gentleman after buying 5 turbines from him and conversing with him on the phone.

His turbines run extremely well

Really knows his stuff.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:23 AM
crazy+plane=yes

ORIGINAL: warp6

The 2250 had app 10,2 kg of thrust and the 2300 app 10,5 kg @ 122-123000 rpm / the new types still in produktion with blue front cover was named 2300-25 11,5 kg thrust BUT all af them deliver more then 12 kg to day.

Your engiens that i sold you many years ago was 2300 with gold cover and that have not changed even the frontcover have been painted red

Lars
Thanks for the above clarification Lars.

The engines were only 6 years old and had only been run twice.

I had sold the engines recently as 2300's and the chap who bought the engines, repaired them even although Simjet had stated they couldn't be fixed.

When he tried to resell the engines, he recieved numerous complaints from modellers stating that they were not infact 2300's. If the engines being 2250 and 2300 are the same price, with minimum difference, then I can't understand why there was such an outcry when he tried to resell them.

I felt terrible about the situation! as I felt that I had sold him something that wasn't as described to me. He was an engineer to trade, and had to remove them from sale, but luckily his close friend agreed to buy them from him.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:52 AM
whitcombe

Hi Guys, just to let you all know that I have 2 simjets. The latest 1200-18lb and the 2300-25lb and all I can say is that they are bloody awesome. They have never missed a beat and are so quick at excellerating !!! I have a simjet 2300-25 in a graupner harpoon and have flown at a few jet meets in the Uk and it goes like hot bloody snot. Its very quick to excellerate, approx 2 sec, and even overtakes my mates jetcat 120 powered hotspot. The lithium power system is spot on and the performance of both engines is truly amazing !!!!! So go out and buy the new ones and prepare to be amazed.

Tim Whitcombe
Old 08-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Lars,

My 2300, blue cover was bough as a 23 pound engine with the simjec ecu (think late 2002, early 2003)
Now there are 25 pounds. Was this done via mechanical upgrade, high rpm increase, how?

I asked, but was told there is no upgrade. It was implied that actual thrust may have always been 25... will that be possible?

As mentioned, flawless...
Thanks
Old 08-06-2006, 02:01 AM
warp6

Hello Edgar and thanks.

The major difference is was a new (bigger) compressor /new diffuser / shaft and combustion chamber so internally a complete new engine that’s why we don’t upgrade = simply to expensive

Best Regards

Lars
Old 08-06-2006, 12:44 PM
crazy+plane=yes

Well, as the topic goes, I loved my Simjets.

After being a Simjet customer for the past 8 years now and buying 5 turbines from Lars (SimJet owner) I feel that I must share with the jet community a tale of - well lets say - a debatable service from them.

I have asked Lars if he has any objections to me publishing emails between himself and me on my website and he assures me that he has none.

Has anyone else had an experience like this with simjet ?

Click on the link here http://alan-gardner.com
Old 08-06-2006, 07:46 PM
BirdofpraY
My Feedback: (31)

warp6, What is the Difference in the Simjet 2200 and 2300 and 3000 they all have the same deminsions on the outside but what makes them diffrent. I have the 2200 and thought about upgrading to 2300 or evern the 3000 can I upgrade my 2200 to either?

Thanks,
Old 08-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Roger Roger

I fly IC planes, gliders and helis at the moment and my next move is a turbine powered model, I was thinking about getting a Simjet but after reading crazy+plane=yes post I am having second thoughts, how could I tell if the unit I buy is new or one that has been made up from parts from other turbines that were damaged ?

Any advice guys most welcome.

Also looking at Wren and Jet Cat turbines any thoughts on these also welcome.

At the moment I am thinking about a Boomerang Intro ARF
to put the turbine in, whats your thoughts on this Aircraft ?

Thanks
R.R.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Boomerang intro is a great selection using a 12-14 pound turbines. You can do P-80 size too, but take a little more effort and the fuel maybe an issue due to weight or limited run-time.

I would not hesitate on the Simjet. They are a reputable company. Also you may want to look at the artes bee for the intro.
Good luck
Old 08-09-2006, 04:38 PM
crazy+plane=yes

ORIGINAL: crazy+plane=yes

The 2250 had app 10,2 kg of thrust and the 2300 app 10,5 kg @ 122-123000 rpm / the new types still in produktion with blue front cover was named 2300-25 11,5 kg thrust BUT all af them deliver more then 12 kg to day.

Your engiens that i sold you many years ago was 2300 with gold cover and that have not changed even the frontcover have been painted red

Lars
Thanks for the above clarification Lars.

The engines were only 6 years old and had only been run twice.

I had sold the engines recently as 2300's and the chap who bought the engines, repaired them even although Simjet had stated they couldn't be fixed.

When he tried to resell the engines, he recieved numerous complaints from modellers stating that they were not infact 2300's. If the engines being 2250 and 2300 are the same price, with minimum difference, then I can't understand why there was such an outcry when he tried to resell them.

I felt terrible about the situation! as I felt that I had sold him something that wasn't as described to me. He was an engineer to trade, and had to remove them from sale, but luckily his close friend agreed to buy them from him.

See this dabacle here lars. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552138

Old 08-09-2006, 07:10 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

This is getting old.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:54 AM
crazy+plane=yes

ORIGINAL: CARS II

This is getting old.
Everything is old on the internet, unless you stumble accross something that you haven't seen or read before.

Google seems to rate this as quite new.

Go to Google and type in : Simjet service
Old 08-10-2006, 09:11 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I will check Google.

Sorry about the incident, I own a Simjet my self and I expect full support for my engine, that is 50% of what made me choose a Simjet.

Thank you.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:18 PM
crazy+plane=yes

ORIGINAL: CARS II

I own a Simjet my self and I expect full support for my engine

Thank you.
Quite rightly so Cars II

I could only suggest that you send it back through your local dealer. If Simjet tried to fob you off with a written off engine (when they clearly can be repaired after being damaged) I wouldn't think that ruining the dealers reputation would be in Simjets interest.

It may cost $50 - $100 Dollars more but well worth the ' Insurance ' of receiving a properly repaired engine without fuss.

Alan.

P.s. Did you check out the Google search ?
Old 08-11-2006, 01:51 PM
crazy+plane=yes

[quote]ORIGINAL: crazy+plane=yes

P.s. Did you check out the Google search ?
If not, I've included it at the very bottom of this page here : http://alan-gardner.com
Old 08-11-2006, 02:10 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Allan, the thing that pi$$e$ me off is Simjet insisting on keping your old engines. Dud, they were going to clean them, "paint them" , and resell God knows for how much.

In any case, dude you sold your two engines for nothing and somebody else fixed it and is now enjoying them. Simjet shouldn't be liable for your mistake. Maybe you should ahve held on to the two engines, maybe someday you'll learn how to fix engines and you would have done it yourself. Im not biased, and probably feel a lot of sympathy for you, but in a court of law this would be dismissed right away. "Potential to be fixed" does not subtantiate anything. But.........deffinetely a matter of ethics.

Another question...........what does house building have to do with engineering? Why would a house builder know anything about heat treat, temper, of AL/Steel alloys???? I'm an Aero Engineer myself and deal with these materials all the time and I cannot tell if a turbine shaft is good or not without X-Ray difraction or a simple Dye-pen test. You may be putting way too much importance on what the "engineer" is saying. 200"F is enough to change properties on some Aluminums, so 300 C is most likely to do permanent damage. Another thing, 300C while operating and 300C while sitting is not the same.

I also have a Simjet, I'm 50-50 on customer service. The new local dealer in the US is great, but I had my share of bad taste waiting on a brand new SJ1200 18#.
Im happy with my old Simjet 1200, even though it will only produce 10.5 lbs on a "good day", far from the nominal 12 that I need and did expect. Not a very powerful engine. I'd guess a Dynamax and a good OS .91 would provide better performance on my Maverick.

I don't know if I would buy another Smjet again. Im kind of starting to like Artes.

Good luck with your claim, hope it works out. It is never good when your source of fun starts giving you headaches!!

David
Old 08-12-2006, 05:02 AM
crazy+plane=yes

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

Allan, the thing that pi$$e$ me off is Simjet insisting on keping your old engines. Dud, they were going to clean them, "paint them" , and resell God knows for how much.

Or maybe the offer of the new 2300 at about $2800 might have been one of my own fire damaged turbines. Who knows.

Another question...........what does house building have to do with engineering? Why would a house builder know anything about heat treat, temper, of AL/Steel alloys????
The guy that repaired the turbines is not a house builder David, The term ' home builder ' is better known as some-one who builds turbines at home from a turbine kit like the Wren 54 which he had previously built and sold. He actually is an engineer to trade and confirmed that the internals of the turbines were in fact undamaged other than water damaged which meant that he only needed new bearings to repair them.

I don't know if I would buy another Smjet again.
I'm with you on that one David.

Good luck with your claim, hope it works out. It is never good when your source of fun starts giving you headaches!!
I'm not claiming anything from Simjet David. Just telling it like it is.

Thanks for your reply.

Alan.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:04 PM
warp6

Dear Alan

First of all as I did tell you there no way I would use any old parts I any turbine secondly there are NO parts at all from a 6 year old engine that will fit in any of our preset types.
I have NEVER EVER used parts from damaged engines I don’t know where that sick idea did come from.

We do have some homebuilders visiting us how do buy used parts for there projects without warranty and fully at there one risk.

Next copy from falconwings
“
Another question...........what does house building have to do with engineering? Why would a house builder know anything about heat treat, temper, of AL/Steel alloys???? I'm an Aero Engineer myself and deal with these materials all the time and I cannot tell if a turbine shaft is good or not without X-Ray difraction or a simple Dye-pen test. You may be putting way too much importance on what the "engineer" is saying. 200"F is enough to change properties on some Aluminums, so 300 C is most likely to do permanent damage. Another thing, 300C while operating and 300C while sitting is not the same.
“
That’s why I did not want to do the repair as I already told you,

COPY of ALAN
“
Lars conned me.
He said that he would sell me a new turbine insisting that he kept the 2 damaged ones.
Q. Was he going to recondition them and sell them on ?
That would be a tidy profit for Simjet to get more money out of me and repair the 2 damaged turbines and sell them both
“

Why in the name of god should I spend all the time and parts on 6 years old engines it would be cheaper and save a lot of time to build a new one, And as a already said there is not one single part the fit in the present turbines AT ALL.

YOU ARE simply assuming something that would never been even remotely possible.

If you don’t believe me I am sure we can borrow a 6 year old 2300 I will let you have a brand new 2300 in our work shop , if you can fit just one part exept nut bolts and bearings from old the new one and make it work I will pay your flight / hotel and a good dinner@ at 3 star Michelin restaurant.

So Alan thanks for your last mail and form my side we are still at speaking terms you have not don me any harm at all I am still happy and I am in my full right to say no to a repair I don’t feel to be safe to conduct.

And just a information it been tried before, if anyone try to blackmail me or threaten with things like “ I will go on the RCU and tell everyone etc. ect.OR you newest one “I had no option but to go to the UK RCU “ I wont work I WILL go in reverse be coarse I know I always don my best to help everyone.

I conned you ?? oomy the only guy this have cost money is me I did pay the shipment back to you at no cost for you and you got 450ÂŁ for the engines and I still think that was a fair price considering the condition they was in.

And sorry Alan This was the last comment from me in this case but please keep up your personal paranoid vendetta against me if it makes you feel better but I will not spend more time on it.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:09 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes I totally misinterpreted the "home buidler" thing. I feel like a dumbass.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:02 AM
crazy+plane=yes

Dear Alan

First of all as I did tell you there no way I would use any old parts I any turbine secondly there are NO parts at all from a 6 year old engine that will fit in any of our preset types.
I have NEVER EVER used parts from damaged engines I don’t know where that sick idea did come from.

We do have some homebuilders visiting us how do buy used parts for there projects without warranty and fully at there one risk.

Next copy from falconwings
“
“
That’s why I did not want to do the repair as I already told you,

COPY of ALAN
“
Lars conned me.
He said that he would sell me a new turbine insisting that he kept the 2 damaged ones.
Q. Was he going to recondition them and sell them on ?
That would be a tidy profit for Simjet to get more money out of me and repair the 2 damaged turbines and sell them both
“

Why in the name of god should I spend all the time and parts on 6 years old engines it would be cheaper and save a lot of time to build a new one, And as a already said there is not one single part the fit in the present turbines AT ALL.

If you don’t believe me I am sure we can borrow a 6 year old 2300 I will let you have a brand new 2300 in our work shop , if you can fit just one part exept nut bolts and bearings from old the new one and make it work I will pay your flight / hotel and a good dinner@ at 3 star Michelin restaurant.

So Alan thanks for your last mail and form my side we are still at speaking terms you have not don me any harm at all I am still happy and I am in my full right to say no to a repair I don’t feel to be safe to conduct.

And just a information it been tried before, if anyone try to blackmail me or threaten with things like “ I will go on the RCU and tell everyone etc. ect.OR you newest one “I had no option but to go to the UK RCU “ I wont work I WILL go in reverse be coarse I know I always don my best to help everyone.

I conned you ?? oomy the only guy this have cost money is me I did pay the shipment back to you at no cost for you and you got 450ÂŁ for the engines and I still think that was a fair price considering the condition they was in.

And sorry Alan This was the last comment from me in this case but please keep up your personal paranoid vendetta against me if it makes you feel better but I will not spend more time on it.

Dear Lars, I have quickly read over your posting and will reply later on today as Myself and young family are going out for the day.

However, I did pick up on a few words directed at me being " Sick" and " Paranoid "

I take great offence to this.

Alan.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:06 AM
crazy+plane=yes

Dear Lars, can you answer a few simple questions please.

Your quote :

Your email quote :

Well sorry but there not much we can use but maybe a EGV for a repair job and a turbine wheel
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your quote :

So, Lars - you do sell used turbine parts ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My quote :.

He (Lars) said that he would sell me a new turbine insisting that he kept the 2 damaged ones.

This is correct Lars yes ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your quote :

Then why did you say this Lars ? :

it will take app 4 hours + vat and shipping.
Your quote :

I conned you ?? oomy the only guy this have cost money is me I did pay the shipment back to you at no cost for you

Did you invoice me for the shipping ?

Lars, did you even open the turbines ?

As a customer of Simjet, I have only given my personal view on Simjet customer support.

The manufacturers response is to call the customer “sick” and “paranoid”.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:07 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What form of NDT was conducted by the 'home builder' to confirm the integrity of the components?

How does he know that there is no material damage to the parts?

I agree that there is some disparity from what Lars appears to have said but it doesn't alter the fact that the turbines MAY have been beyond economical repair. I can't see any reason why Simjet would not repair a damaged engine if it was worthwhile, what would they gain by refusing to do this? I am sure anything could be repaired but would it have been worth it? Would it have cost more in parts and labour than a new engine?

Maybe I am missing something here.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:24 PM
crazy+plane=yes

Hi There,

Firstly, they no longer belong to me.

What form of NDT was conducted by the 'home builder' to confirm the integrity of the components? I have no idea, sorry.

How does he know that there is no material damage to the parts? Again, I have no idea, but the engine is now operational.

I can't see any reason why Simjet would not repair a damaged engine if it was worthwhile, what would they gain by refusing to do this?

My two damaged engines perhaps, and a sale of a new one. (Why did they want to keep those turbines ?)

Maybe I am missing something here.

I can only answer that with the question as to why they didn't even open them to ascertain the damage.

Alan.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:26 PM
crazy+plane=yes

ORIGINAL: siclick33

What form of NDT was conducted by the 'home builder' to confirm the integrity of the components?

Sorry to come straight back in , but what NDT was conducted by Simjet ?
Old 08-13-2006, 01:46 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please do not take my comments personally, I am just saying it how I see it.

Your main complaint seems to be that the engine was not opened up for inspection. I am simply suggesting that the manufacturer may have a detailed knowledge of his engines and knowing the exact materials and their properties, and combined with the circumstances of the incident MAY be enough for them to be sure that the components have suffered internal damage without looking at them or conducting NDT.

An independant builder (whether a homebuilder or a professional) may not have the same intricate knowledge of that particular engine and, although the components that have been re-used may look ok they may have suffered internal damage that has not been identified. This may be unfair as I don't know the individual involved in the rebuild, but why do you trust his opinion more than Lars?

On a different tack, I read your car analogy on another forum and I will add another view. If you crash your car and the chassis is badly twisted would you expect the repairer to check if the engine was OK? An expert may not bother, and simply write the car off, as they will know that it would cost more to repair the car than buy a brand new one. This does not mean that subsequently the engine will not be resold at a scrap yard in working condition.

This kind of thing also happens in full size aviation following major damage where the aircraft (specifically the tooling) is obsolete. The manufacturer often offers a deal for a new aircraft as the cost of obtaining replacement parts is prohibitive.

I need to add that I am not a Simjet customer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.