Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Parachute release system?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Parachute release system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 04:02 AM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parachute release system?

Hey guys, I will be starting a new project soon (SU-27) and wanted to get some ideas on how to make the release system for a chute. I have never had a plane with a chute . I would like to know what works? Any info would be great. Thanks, Billy
Old 11-08-2006, 05:49 AM
baron-noir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Parachute release system?

Hi Billy, is that an AD Su you are starting ?

Sk
Old 11-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

John Redman would be a good source of info, as well as possibly the chute system itself
Old 11-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Billy

Yes it is the AD.

Thanks Gordon.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:26 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

There is a guy in the UK flying an Avonds F104 with a working drogue chute which he deploys on landing then releases on taxi as per the original.

I do not think he built the mechanism but could perhaps help you with contact details.

[email protected]
Old 11-09-2006, 11:05 AM
swissflyer

this may help you

http://www.details4scale.com/auto_dr...ute_system.htm
Old 11-09-2006, 11:01 PM
HotelSierra
My Feedback: (9)

Some of the BVM guys with F-4s and F-100s are using a chute. Hope they'll chime in. Paul Bagman is possibly coming to the Willow on Sat. If he does, check out the chute on his F-100. He was deploying it at Fresno Jets a couple months ago.

John
Old 11-09-2006, 11:04 PM
amitt

I would be very interested in chute deploy system incase the bird has radio lock out. That would give me time to run and catch it
Old 11-10-2006, 08:50 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Billy,

on my F-4, I kept trying to come up with a system that would break away if the chute released in flight, but it would always break on landing. I ended up using one of John Redman's chutes and it worked but I think it would not have broken off the plane if it came out while you were flying.

Also, with my F-4 it needed about 3/4 throttle just to taxi with the chute out so I really think you might want to be able to release the chute on command. You can of course design a system that opens the chute with a servo, then it releases the chute with more travel. That was not practical on my plane. Also, I did not have any more channels to have a release, but I had an idea to do a release with no extra channels.

You could have another servo for securing the chute to the plane and tie that to the flap channel . When the flaps are up, if the chute inadvertantly deploys it will just fly off the plane. When the flaps are down, it would lock the chute to the plane. After you land, you raise the flaps and release the chute.

regards,

Old 11-10-2006, 08:58 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

As Matt stated the chute I have is so light it stays fully inflated during taxi and the model can be hard to taxi back. The best thing to do is to release the chute after landing. David Ried deployed my chute behind his F-4 a couple of times in flight (by accident) and it left the plane every time. It will break away if the speed is above 60 mph.

I have a release mechanism which works very well Billy, and can take care of you. Shoot me a pm and we'll get you hooked up bud. I don't do these much any more, but will take care of one of my So Cal bud's.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:02 AM
baron-noir

Billy,

Are you going to modify your Su-27 and build the "flaperons" ? Normally they are not reproduced on the AD kit, Eric was telling they bring some very high pitch commands. I myself cut the wing on my SU-35 to have them functional. But as they are big I'm not sure the best way to articulate them and prevent flutter !!! Let me know if you come up with a solution on that.

Regards
Sk
Old 11-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Hustler58

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

you can use a servo and Y it off the throttle. Then when you have throttle movement you can release the chute at what ever throttle setting you desire. That way if it comes out in flight,a bump of the throttle and it is gone. This is what I use on the B-58 and it works great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27092.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	557631  
Old 11-10-2006, 10:05 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: John Redman

David Ried deployed my chute behind his F-4 a couple of times in flight (by accident) and it left the plane every time. It will break away if the speed is above 60 mph.

Tell him to stop doing that....

Good to know it comes off in real life!

Hustler58, that arm looks very good, but does that small thin section hold the parachute on and nothing else? Or does that arm fit through another slot or hole that stabilizes it? Anyway it is a slick idea, very good

Old 11-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Details 4 Scale
My Feedback: (3)

Ok guys,

I think the problem most are concerned about is the chute deploying in flight. The AUTOCHUTE system that I have designed prevents that from ever happening. I see that Swissflyer is familiar with it. It works off 2 parameters from the radio and ground speed. The flaps, brakes and a wheel sensor keep track off your controls constantly in flight and on the ground when the radio is on. All (3) programmed parameters MUST be met to deploy the chute. If not, it's not going anywhere. Even a radio glitch cannot deploy the chute! Once you program the parameters into the unit, it is ready to automatically deploy the chute upon landing and deceleration to 60 mph. Using the BVM F-100 for example; the F-100 lands at around 70mph (read this somewhere). After touchdown and the wheels spinup the wheel sensor looks at the groundspeed. Once the aircraft's ground speed drops below 60mph the chute deploys. If your jet happens to land at less than 60 mph, the chute will deploy just after touchdown, but only if both the flaps and the brakes are at their pre-programmed position (usually full flap and 1/2 to 3/4 brakes). Also, if you're doing a touch and go (brakes off), the chute will not deploy. The flap and brake parameters are up to the pilot. After landing and chute deployment, and the aircraft comes to a complete stop, the chute is automatically released from the aircraft. The system requires only 2 servos, (any size) and 2 "Y" connectors. No rx open channels are used. The unit "Y's" into the flap and brake channel and uses the radio system for power. Draws only 10uA until deployment. We now carry a spring loaded latch assembly for keeping the chute door(s) shut. Check out the website for more information on the Autochute and our custom scale chutes. www.details4scale.com.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Hustler58

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Mr_ Matt , the servo arm holds fine. Never had a problem,planes weight was 50# and the chute was 36". Just make sure the servo is mounted good. The line did go through a bulkhead to stop the side to side motion. Sorry I don't have any good pictures of how it worked. Butch
Old 11-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Billy

Thanks guys for all the info. This is the beauty of this forum. All these ideas from different ways of building really get the juices flowing. I will receive the plane next week. Then maybe with parts in hand I can figure something out. John I will call you when I get a chance. Thanks, Billy Edwards

Hustler, I like that design of the servo arm. I will try something. Thanks alot
Old 11-10-2006, 08:33 PM
John Redman

Hey Dan,

Sounds like a truly awesome setup. I will get with you when I get my Phantom ready to rock.

One little note on the F-100 landing speed. I understand you read it somewhere (just passing it on here), and that source is not even close. You can drag it in very easily with a touchdown in the low 40's everytime if you want. At 70 the thing just keeps flying. Not your fault at all, just wanted to clear that up.

Too cool bud on the chute deployment system.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:10 AM
Details 4 Scale
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks John,

I stand corrected on the speed. Good information. I was planning on making the deployment speed for the Autochute selectable by the modeler. Now, I have another reason to do it. Thanks for the info.

Dan
Old 11-14-2006, 08:22 AM
DavidR

As Matt stated the chute I have is so light it stays fully inflated during taxi and the model can be hard to taxi back. The best thing to do is to release the chute after landing. David Ried deployed my chute behind his F-4 a couple of times in flight (by accident) and it left the plane every time. It will break away if the speed is above 60 mph.

I have a release mechanism which works very well Billy, and can take care of you. Shoot me a pm and we'll get you hooked up bud. I don't do these much any more, but will take care of one of my So Cal bud's.
Damn.....I thought no one noticed! John does have the best chute system out there. The one on my Phantom deploys reliably 99% of the time. IF you do depoy it in the air chances are pretty good you will not even notice it come out if you are at high speed.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Gerald Rutten

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good stuf this shute! I ordered one from John a while ago and I'm now in the stage of building it into my Avonds F16, needs some fiddling but will work it out. The shute really looks great and rigid. The F16 shute housing is kind of rectangle and it's width is smaller than the diameter of the supplied phenolic tube. May need alternative way of folding........hek, trouble shooting is the nice part of modelling....

Regards,
Gerald

Old 11-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Miniflyer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, where's that nozzle from??? Looks awesome

Best regards
Hank
Old 11-14-2006, 10:33 AM
John Redman

He guys, my days of doing chutes is over. There just isn't enough return for the amount of time invested for me to continue. Dan Gill makes an awesome chute and can take care of you, I am sure. Check out his website and give him a call, I know he has what you need, and his products are first class all the way.

Billy, I am commited to you if you want one, but you will be the last brother. Give me a shout!!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

He guys, my days of doing chutes is over. There just isn't enough return for the amount of time invested for me to continue.
Geeze -- see what happens when someone gets one of those ultra-high-dollar Horizon Hobbies jobs ??

Suddenly all the guys who kept food crumbs on your table by paying you fifty cents an hour just aren't good enough for you anymore, huh ?
Old 11-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Billy

Fore sure John, Thanks. I'll call you when I get this thing in my hands. Should be any day now. Thanks again, Billy
Old 11-14-2006, 12:49 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

Gerald,

that has got to be the baddest tail nozzle I've ever seen aside from the real one. Where did you get it or would you be able to make an extra one for a fee ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.