Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Rafale complete kit from X-tremejets

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Rafale complete kit from X-tremejets

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:15 PM
JetsRC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rafale complete kit from X-tremejets

Building has started on my Rafale, the guys at the shop say a couple of weeks, so after Florida Jets I should come back to fly my Rafale. The ARF looks awesome, all rivets, panel lines, etc. Paint need a bit of weathering for me.
This one will be powered by a Super Eagle (30lbs) and I will be installing a Tam smoke pump.
I also upgraded to the Hidrolic LG from Skymaster...

A few pictures of the Rafale and of the new F-4 from a customer... This one is incredible...[X(]

Michel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82977.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	627630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36175.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	627631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98786.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	627632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15821.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	627633   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10660.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	627634  
Old 02-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well she's 98% done. Need to fix a few things here and there, and then take her out for some range testing, engine runs and taxi testing. The main gear is beginning to sag do to the weight, and this is with the fuel tanks empty. I guess that's why they are offering the ARF Plus gear. I think you can control the amount of pressure inside the cylinders.

I finished up the undercarriage, worked the first time I tried it with the Tx. No adjustments needed on the UP2. Here's a video of the gear operation, it's so cool to watch:

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....39df2c1e4d0072

Here are a few more pictures of the install.

Ken

Name:	Lj24080.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	629519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51772.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	629520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59615.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	629521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj19110.jpg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	629522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89975.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	629523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb46039.jpg
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	629524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx47883.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	629525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qp52365.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	629526  

Old 02-25-2007, 02:37 PM
JetsRC

Good luck on your maiden Ken, remember to shot some videos of the maiden...

Michel
Old 02-27-2007, 01:07 AM
tylers600rr
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

am I missing something.....I thought it came with a by-pass?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:42 AM
Airforce7

Nope, that's extra. Like $90 extra. I don't think you need it though. I saw (read) your waiting for a Rafale too. Are you picking it up at FJ? Is Anton going to be there?

.......I bought a digital scale and weighed my Rafale tonight. It came out to 24.8 lbs dry. Both wings together on the scale were exactly 3lbs. I've been doing some more research and I might take the turbine out and reinforce the main retract plates with a plywood brace over the top of each plate to give them reinforcement on hard landings. I'll look into it more this week.

I saw the maiden video of the guy from Florida who's got Tam's Rafale. I think he's got some issues with the CG. I did the CG on mine at 130mm back from the point of the wing that meets the fuselage and got it right on. I didn't need to put any weight in the nose or tail. I was able to keep all my batteries right at the electronics plate. Sweet!

Ken
Old 02-27-2007, 03:13 PM
tylers600rr

Yeah I'm picking mine up at FJ!!!! Actually a friend is picking it up for me because he's got a big trailer. Me and Skyknight are flying down on Friday morning and I'm gonna take official ownership of it!!! Just a quick question, when your gear was retracted, it looked like the nose gear door wasnt entirely closed....was that just the camera angle or is it really not flush? Also, did u ever consider putting a restrictor into your retract line to slow the retraction so that it doesnt smack the frame up? Oh, and I'm glad you mentioned that about the gear because I got the upgraded Arf plus gear and I see yours, and the other day I saw the upgraded gear, because thats the same gear that comes with the F-4 and its amazing!! The hydraulic action is second to none!!! And the quality and sturdiness is really good!!!
Lt.Shady
G-Force Squadron
Old 02-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Airforce7

tylers600rr,

That's great your getting the Rafale. You'll like it. As you begin to build it, it goes fast and then you'll start to see things that will need aditional attention. On mine, it was the nose wheel steering arms and the hardware. Some other things too, but it can be remedied quickly.

I have airflow restrictors; I was anticipating using them on the gear doors. After first testing the actuations of the gear and the doors with the UP2 valve, I'm pretty happy. I'm not to worried about making it perfect right now. I want to get the first flight in and take it from there.

The nose gear door is not closed entirely as the offset hinge linkage is on the less desirable hole. I'm going to swap it out for a new one when I get it and put it back on the hole I initially set the cylinder up with. I had issues with the offset hinges that came with the kit.

The weather here is still wet. I’m going to wait until a friend is back in town to take the video of the first flight.

Ken
Old 02-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks Great Ken!
Will you be flying it at livermore? Hope to see it fly this spring

good luck
Ron
Old 02-27-2007, 11:01 PM
tylers600rr

Good deal!!! Cant wait to hear how it flew!!!! Standing by!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:34 AM
Airforce7

Thanks guys. I think there'll be a break in the weather and I’ll bring it out for range testing, engine run up and taxi testing at EBRC Saturday morning. And a little show and tell too.

Ken
Old 03-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Airforce7

Today was a gorgeous day and got a little closer to flying the Rafale. Couple of things; if you buy this jet, get the better Rafale struts. The Airpower mains just can't take the weight. A lot of that energy won’t be dampened and will translate up into the airframe. I'm around 30 pounds right now, and that isn't including the extra pound of smoke. I had some issues starting the P-120 because of the propane tank orientation. I think I'll extend the line from the tank to the solenoid valve so that I can take it out during start-up and tuck it back in when the turbine is running.

Got the engine started and everything looked great, full power run up was fine (used my ear plugs). Fuselage didn't get hot around the pipe area. Range check was ok. Did some taxiing and reached the limit of the Tx with the antenna down, turbine quit (failsafe works).

It’s been a while since I ran the P-120; I forgot how much power it has. It was pushing the Rafale on the ground like a twig. Anyway, I could have flown it today, but all my batteries I brought were to low on energy and I couldn’t start the turbine again. I had my Rookie with me and flew that twice before hand. Here are some pictures from today.

Name:	Wu61649.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	633908   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44471.jpg
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	633909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24008.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	633910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29509.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	633911   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do82543.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	633912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh66913.jpg
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	633913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df74630.jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	633914  
Old 03-04-2007, 03:15 PM
ARA-Jet
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is a beautiful field. Where is that?
Did you get to fly it yet? Post a clip of your flight, if you can?
I am working on my retracts right now. Your pictures are helping me a great deal. One question, did you have to raise your main gears at all? they seem to seat a bit low!

thanks,
Amir
Old 03-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Airforce7

Amir,

That's [link=http://www.geocities.com/~ebrc/]EBRC[/link] in Livermore, CA.

I'll see if I can get a first flight in this week after work. My camera man is back in town.

The springs in the gear are two weak. The jet will sag for sure. So, after I did my tests Saturday I immediately re-enforced the gear plates with a cross beam over the top of each half of the retract mount. Next, I removed the pin holding the main gear together and took a look at the spring. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to work with. I had an old stiffer spring from a nose wheel strut that happen to fit perfectly inside the inner diameter of the existing spring. I cut it to length and re-greased it. I re-assembled the strut with a small washer placed over the top of the lower half of the strut so that the smaller spring wouldn’t fall down into the lower half of the strut. I put the pin back in and now I have a stronger strut that can actually work with the weight of the jet. I’m so very happy now having done all that. I think it will hold up much better on the landings. I suppose I won’t need that fancy gear upgrade from SM now.

Ken
Old 03-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Airforce7

I completed the first flight today! [8D] Weather was great, but the sun was quickly disappearing. I should have the video tomorrow morning. I'm not sure how long it will be, but the actual flight was about three minutes. I had a few issues before leaving the ground that I think all of you building this jet need to consider/address.

1. My nose wheel steering was way too sensitive, even after I put expo and dialed down to half the throw side to side. I need to go another half.
2. The nose wheel strut uses two set screws to hold itself to the steering arm. It isn't good enough. There needs to be some flats on the dowel for better securing.
3. I busted the missile rail right off the wing while taxing and didn't even notice it was gone until halfway through the flight. This was due to the over sensitive steering.
4. You must lubricate the wheels; otherwise the brass inserts will bind with the axle.

I ran into the nose steering problem (wheels twisted 90 degrees) just as I was turning to start my ground roll for take-off. I went out to fix it with an Allen wrench and it was marginal, but I re-trimmed the nose and it seemed OK. I decided after several minutes with the engine running at idle to go for it. Ground roll was smooth and I punched it the last 50-75 ft. The jet took straight to the air like a rocket ship. I was trimming while on its way up with no input on the stick! I had put reflex in the elevator and it turned out I needed all of it the other way (down trim), but not much maybe 5 or so clicks. It was a little tail heavy, but not much. I never retracted the gear as I was busy trimming and concerned about fuel. I had a few clicks to the right. I never activated the canards either. I had a better than expected landing. The approach was so good the first time I went for it and I think I did the right thing by strengthening the gear mounts and putting the stronger spring in the struts.

I'm very happy right now and I think I can work out the nose steering issue and hopefully not tip the jet to much in the future. Can't wait to get the smoke going! My friends said it looked really awesome in the air.

Ken
Old 03-07-2007, 01:56 PM
tylers600rr

All this talk about the gear I'm glad I sprung for the upgraded gear, hopefully that will solve some of the problems that you're talking about but the steering thing I will keep in mind, thanks for all the help.
LT.Shady....L T.....Handyman
G-Force Squadron
Old 03-07-2007, 10:06 PM
JetsRC

Congrats Ken, I am glad it went good. I will be maiden mine next week for sure.

Michel
Old 03-13-2007, 11:43 AM
ARA-Jet

Ken,
it is good to hear that it went well. Where is the 0 line for the canards. can you please send a picture of the canards position that you used for your flight?

thanks,
Amir
Old 03-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Airforce7

Amir,

Here are a few photos for you. The maiden did go well minus the few issues on the ground though. Here's the video link for anybody else that stumbles upon this thread.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....8d127925d092d6

How much longer before your 1st flight and what color will you paint it?

Ken

Name:	Ec89944.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	641485   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44675.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	641486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18075.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	641487  
Old 03-19-2007, 03:34 PM
ARA-Jet

thanks and sorry to hear about your crash; hope that you can repair it quickly.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:41 AM
twinster61

hello I m call Franck and I live in France J have also a rafale x-tremjets, here are the first two flights

1e

http://dl.free.fr/o3pN5t3R/Cmcfsquadron(1).avi

2e

http://dl.free.fr/XUFCDO00/rafale2(1).avi

click right then to record under so long and bns flights with your rafale
Old 05-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Strykaas

Hehe twinster is now onboard welcome !
Old 05-22-2007, 04:33 PM
gilslo

Hello,
how shall we do it to install clunk into triangular tank (who is tight) of kit because actually when plane fly back side clunk can't overturn and then suck up air. For two other tanks there isn't problem. I'm a friend of twinster61 and we are using a BVM UAT.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:45 AM
davo580

x-treme jets are owned by skymaster but the skymaster is doing the the best set ups
Old 05-23-2007, 05:59 AM
twinster61

hello strykaas
Hello,
how shall we do it to install clunk into triangular tank (who is tight) of kit because actually when plane fly back side clunk can't overturn and then suck up air. For two other tanks there isn't problem. I'm a friend of twinster61 and we are using a BVM UAT.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:51 AM
MAX NITRO
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Stig,
Great info, can't wait for more!
I purchased the x-treme jets Rafale complete kit and I am wondering what paints are you going to use for yours?
I have never painted a Jet and i am after any advice you can give me.
Can I use etch primer from a can and spray auto acrylic colours?
Just for peoples interest, my Rafale came with carbon fiber moulded around the mid section in the fuse, and other places around the fuse. Overall quality is superb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.