Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Henry... I think there are more of the Orange/White/blue than anything else. (Like the pic above) But... unpainted would be OK too.

Are your V3 wings glassed? Do you have a projected price?

Xairflyer: Looks great, and it should fly great. My Falcon flys great, and it's 17.5Lbs dry!! So, shaving 3 Lbs off of it will really help.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

Well Collin like I have mentioned before I copied the Falcon and improved it heavily, but on that note the wings from the V1 Tornado will fit the Flacon the V2 Wings are held together a little different and the spar location will not fit the existing Falcon fuselage holes. The V3 wings will not fit becuase of how we mounted the spars and also the landing gear wholes are different. So yes I copied the Falcon which copied the Bob Cat but honestly I dont really care becuase at Florida Jets The new V3 was one of the few airplanes that did not break anything even landing in crazy gust's and very rough grass. Besides Collin you really dont need to worry about it becuase the upgrade package will only be sold to North America, Central America South America and Africa.

Dr Honda the price is being looked at very closely I am pricing material at this time, I am finishing up 400 new V3 Tornado's for this order and would like to bring atleast 200 conversion kits becuase I have a confirmed order of 110 from our dealer in Brazil Alone. So the price should be very reasonable just like everything everything else we sell.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 PM
ColinJ
Banned

ORIGINAL: Modellbau USA

Well Collin like I have mentioned before I copied the Falcon and improved it heavily, but on that note the wings from the V1 Tornado will fit the Flacon the V2 Wings are held together a little different and the spar location will not fit the existing Falcon fuselage holes. The V3 wings will not fit becuase of how we mounted the spars and also the landing gear wholes are different. So yes I copied the Falcon which copied the Bob Cat but honestly I dont really care becuase at Florida Jets The new V3 was one of the few airplanes that did not break anything even landing in crazy gust's and very rough grass. Besides Collin you really dont need to worry about it becuase the upgrade package will only be sold to North America, Central America South America and Africa.

Dr Honda the price is being looked at very closely I am pricing material at this time, I am finishing up 400 new V3 Tornado's for this order and would like to bring atleast 200 conversion kits becuase I have a confirmed order of 110 from our dealer in Brazil Alone. So the price should be very reasonable just like everything everything else we sell.
Wont Modelbau UK be stocking the conversion kits ?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:35 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

The Falcon Turbine flew for the first time over the weekend and I have to say I was very impressed, flew off the ground perfectly and landings were exactly what I have heard, very slow the big flaps are very effective.
Much better aircraft than the smaller Bobcat I had before.

Flaps are about 75deg I think, I had them more on the first flight but found it pitched it up quite alot and with a bit of down elev and the deflection a bit less it seems a good balance.
The eflite electric retracts worked flawless ideal for this model.

The owner really liked it and you could tell the way he flew it he felt very comfortable with it.

Going to have to build one for myself, might go for the Colchester models NavyCat as the wings are fully sheeted which seems a good thing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87198.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	1745880  
Old 05-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Torqued-Up
My Feedback: (16)

I guess news travels fast yes we are making a conversion kit for the all the Flacon 120's that are out there. The Conversion Kit will be our New Tornado V3 Wings, Composite Booms and Stabilizer. The wings are heavly reinforced with ply cross bracing through out the wing as well as tons of Carbon Fiber as well as double ply landing gear mounts as well as fully sheeted. The Booms are full Composie and are again Ply Support and tons of Carbon Fiber reinforcement. The elevator is fully sheeted built up with Double ply cross bracing and Carbon Fiber. Also all the servo's are mounted inside of the wings and booms. We have aquired a Falcon 120 and have made sure it will fit correctly. I dont have a exact price yet but we will make it as reasonable as possible for people to convert there old falcons or new ones that they have not yet built into a new rock hard machine. Out Version 3 Tornado with the same wings and booms are flyoing well over 200+ miles per hour and have been out through tremendous stress with no problems. They handle a 23lb thrust turbine with no problem. Below are some pictures of what the internals look like of the wings and Booms we are using on our Tornado.

One thing I do ask from everybody out there is to what color scheme to make these parts for you or none at all. We can get you wings and Stabilizers unconvered and Booms unpainted?
A retrofit kit would be nice for Falcon 120 owners. I just purchased a Falcon and having V3 Tornado flying surfaces and booms would save me the time and effort of applying the mods. Too bad you can't seem to keep V3 Tornados in stock as the current shipment are all spoken for and the next shipment is not until ??? Luckily I found a NIB Falcon on eBay and will be setting it up EDF.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Torqued-Up

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

My elevator mod, went with one servo in the tailplane like I done with the bobcat.

Very simple to do if using a moulded servo cover. I used a spare one from a Boomerang Elan.

I just cut away the film, glued in four wooden blocks in the corners and screwed down the servo cover, job done very simple.
I fitted it to the bottom of the tailplane so I wanted as much burn proof as possible so made up two alum horns, metal ball link and 3mm rod. Then covered the complete bottom of the tailplane with alum tape.

After I had the job done, I thought I could have also fitted it to the top of the tailplane, with the moulded servo cover it would have looked ok, as my idea initially was to take it out of view.
On the top would have made fitting the alum tape to the bottom easier. Will do that on the next one.

Nice setup and very tight linkage. But using a DS821?

Something I have noticed in the 171 pages of this thread is that many folks choose to use standard, plastic gear servos in critical areas on these airplanes. I know there must be some logic behind this but I'll be darned if I understand it. I will only use metal or titanium gear servos in everything from park fliers to 40% airplanes. I've seen plastic gear servos destroy themselves in far slower aircraft than a turbine Falcon. Can someone explain why they would put a $4,000+ airplane at risk for a $20 servo?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:45 PM
TimWatson
Banned

ORIGINAL: Torqued-Up

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

My elevator mod, went with one servo in the tailplane like I done with the bobcat.

Very simple to do if using a moulded servo cover. I used a spare one from a Boomerang Elan.

I just cut away the film, glued in four wooden blocks in the corners and screwed down the servo cover, job done very simple.
I fitted it to the bottom of the tailplane so I wanted as much burn proof as possible so made up two alum horns, metal ball link and 3mm rod. Then covered the complete bottom of the tailplane with alum tape.

After I had the job done, I thought I could have also fitted it to the top of the tailplane, with the moulded servo cover it would have looked ok, as my idea initially was to take it out of view.
On the top would have made fitting the alum tape to the bottom easier. Will do that on the next one.

Many people go way over the top when it comes to servos. Also the main problem with plastic geared servos and stripping gears etc is offten vibration. On a jet there is no vibration.

Nice setup and very tight linkage. But using a DS821?

Something I have noticed in the 171 pages of this thread is that many folks choose to use standard, plastic gear servos in critical areas on these airplanes. I know there must be some logic behind this but I'll be darned if I understand it. I will only use metal or titanium gear servos in everything from park fliers to 40% airplanes. I've seen plastic gear servos destroy themselves in far slower aircraft than a turbine Falcon. Can someone explain why they would put a $4,000+ airplane at risk for a $20 servo?

Old 05-09-2012, 02:22 AM
Xairflyer

I do agree I like metal gear servos too, but this is what the customer supplied and I felt it was perfectly adequate for the application.

I have never had a servo strip/break its gears in flight in 30yrs, in a crash, getting knocked in the car yes but not in flight.

On the falcon you only need a small elevator movement, so the servo is not under any real load, the elevator is also very well protected by the booms for getting a wack on the ground, more exposed surfaces that can be easily knocked would have a case for metal gears.
Also this jet is actually designed to use 2 mini servo's in the booms for the elevator.

Servos need to be selected as fit for the purpose, you can make your $4000 jet $6000 if you want by adding JR8711 servos, powerboxes etc but are they really needed?
Old 05-09-2012, 02:58 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to add to this discussion there is also the weight issue with three servo's at the back, I know its not much, but each gram/once at the rear will need two at the front approximately.

Mike
Old 05-09-2012, 03:56 AM
tim777jet

Hi guys, just to add, I never had any probs with my standard servos that came with my Spektrum radio setup.
The only issue I had, was my elevator servo arm, which was the standard nylon arm. After around 300 flights in freezing and boiling hot conditions, the splined part of my arm cracked and would allow only up elevator and not down elevator as the splines of the hub and arm rode up over eachother in one direction.
It was my 7th flight of the day and i only found out, when i did a low inverted pass down the runway and the model would not respond to down elevator, to climb, roll up the right way and the elvator gave me up. When i came in to land the down elevator mix with full flap did not give sufficient and i slowed up too much and pancaked in from around 10 feet up. Every thing was fine except the U/C ripped out.
I always give the control surfaces a wobble with my hand, before flight and did not detect anything.
On the ground i pushed the elevator down and it was back driving the servo, so i thought radio failuer.
In the evening i was stripping everything and investigating and fiound i could push the elevator in one direction and it did not back drive the servo. I then found the hairline crack in the arms hub.
Note- i never ever use any form of loctite or glue on servo arms, it attacks the material.
I would never have noticed this, even if i had 2 servos on the elevator, if one wasnt driving due to this condition, it would be maskeed by the other, until it failed as well.

I will use ally arms in future. Just a thought, worth a look at your arms if they have done a lot of flying.

cheers tim
Old 05-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Modellbau USA

Guys Tornado V3 conversion packages are available for sale for your Falcon 120. The conversion Packages include a set of wings that are fully sheeted with servo's mounted internally, full carbon fiber reinforcing top and bottom, double ply cross bracing and hard wood landing gear mounts, Composite Booms with Carbon fiber reinforcing servo's mounted intenrally and a Stabilzer that is fully sheeted with carbon fiber reinforcing internally. This conversion allows you to use any of the new 23lb thrust turbines which will push your Falcon 120 to over 200mph and the new wing design will allow you to slow down to 18 mph.

We are also selling composite fuel tanks and Cockpit kits which include new canopy and cockpit tub with dash and seat. as well as retracts struts wheels brakes package for your Falcon 120

Colors availble are

Red Navy Trainer scheme
Tonrado V3 Yellow Sport Scheme
No Paint or Covering

for more info you can email or call me [email protected] or 954-224-1700. If you would like to see pictures of the conversion kit take a look at the market place for our ad.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Torqued-Up

Guys Tornado V3 conversion packages are available for sale for your Falcon 120. The conversion Packages include a set of wings that are fully sheeted with servo's mounted internally, full carbon fiber reinforcing top and bottom, double ply cross bracing and hard wood landing gear mounts, Composite Booms with Carbon fiber reinforcing servo's mounted intenrally and a Stabilzer that is fully sheeted with carbon fiber reinforcing internally. This conversion allows you to use any of the new 23lb thrust turbines which will push your Falcon 120 to over 200mph and the new wing design will allow you to slow down to 18 mph.

We are also selling composite fuel tanks and Cockpit kits which include new canopy and cockpit tub with dash and seat. as well as retracts struts wheels brakes package for your Falcon 120

Colors availble are

Red Navy Trainer scheme
Tonrado V3 Yellow Sport Scheme
No Paint or Covering

for more info you can email or call me [email protected] or 954-224-1700. If you would like to see pictures of the conversion kit take a look at the market place for our ad.
Nothing in the marketplace or on your website about this kit.

Please provide a link.

EDIT: And a published price would be nice too.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Modellbau USA

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=844708

Its under Jets in the Market place
Old 05-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Why no prices?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:29 PM
TimWatson
Banned

There is absolutly nothing wrong with the wings, Booms, and tailplane in the standard falcon in my opinion

Old 05-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Modellbau USA

Price is $375 it's in on the ad in the market place
Old 05-18-2012, 01:42 AM
BaldEagel

I would like to do a comparison with my modified Falcon wings, can you tell me how much the wings, tail and booms weigh?

Mike
Old 05-18-2012, 02:55 AM
Modellbau USA

There is an increase of 2 1/2 lb total for the whole airplane built. Weight is not an issue at least for us because the airplane flies much better and on rails when it is heavier. Our Tornado V3 is coming in at 16lb RTF with out fuel. My personal Tornado V3 is 18 .5 because I have smoke system on it and it flies great. With 23lb of thrust this thing is a rocket at Florida jets I got radiated at 200+ accelerating in a climb. I then got told to slow down by the powers that be. Apparently the other three letter purple company complained lol
Old 05-18-2012, 02:58 AM
BaldEagel

Henry

But how much does one of your wings weigh? as I said I want to do a comparison with the wings for my Falcon that I have heavily modified, just want to know if I can reduce the weight of my 22lb porker.

Mike
Old 05-18-2012, 04:53 AM
Modellbau USA

That's a good question I'm heading to the shop in a bit. I will weigh it a post later
Old 05-18-2012, 06:18 AM
BaldEagel

Thanks Henry, look forward to your post.

Mike
Old 05-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Modellbau USA

1.1 lb per wing and .9 lb per boom
Old 05-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I mean prices for the rest of the products. Am I just not seeing them on your site?
Old 05-18-2012, 07:47 AM
BaldEagel

1.1 lb per wing and .9 lb per boom
Thanks Henry.

Mike
Old 05-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Xairflyer

Mike how is yours so heavy the one I done was only just over 14lb with a wren 54

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.