Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-Arf Flash a good first jet?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-Arf Flash a good first jet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 11:40 AM
akular1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C-Arf Flash a good first jet?

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the latest issue of RC jet models (1/07) that provides some great articles for beginners. I am interested in purchasing my first jet, and the magazine indicates that the flash would make a decent trainer.

I'd like to get others opinions on this if possible. How is it in the way of assembly? Are the instructions thorough...any issues for a fairly unknowledgable builder?

How about flight characteristics? Can I put a Titan in it?

Thanks!
Andy K
Old 06-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: C-Arf Flash a good first jet?

I rather recommend something with an exposed turbine. This allows more room for error while you get the hang of it.

There are many, many threads about a good trainer or beginner jet. Use the search function.

My $0.02:
-Exposed turbine
-Sport jet, rather than scale (allow you not to worry too much about scrapes and damage that will surely happen in those less than perfect landings)
-Low wing loading.
-Bigger is better (flies better, easier to see).

I will say,
High cost= Kingcat
Lower cost = Boomerang XL

Good luck,
Old 06-09-2007, 02:11 PM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

You can't go wrong with a Boomerang XL. It's my first jet and I could not be happier with mine. My flying buddy has had two Boomerang XL's and two King Cats and prefers the Boomer .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96299.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	700567  
Old 06-09-2007, 02:48 PM
frothingslosh
My Feedback: (6)

If you don't want to spend quite so much money, my first jet was the Boomerang INTRO (Baby Boomerang). Great trainer, easy to build and install equipment, easy to fly, takes a P-60 - P-70 size engine.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:52 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: akular1

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the latest issue of RC jet models (1/07) that provides some great articles for beginners. I am interested in purchasing my first jet, and the magazine indicates that the flash would make a decent trainer.

I'd like to get others opinions on this if possible. How is it in the way of assembly? Are the instructions thorough...any issues for a fairly unknowledgable builder?

How about flight characteristics? Can I put a Titan in it?

Thanks!
Andy K
I wrote the article on the Flash in the current issue of JetPower Magazine. It is not difficult to build and not difficult to fly but it would not be my choice for a first jet. Second jet, absolutely. Titan would be too much for this airframe. P120 is about max in the JetCat line I would recommend. JetCentral Falcon is a good choice too ... it is what I had in mine.

I think the Bobcat is extremely easy to fly .. I would get it before the KingCat which is somewhat heavier and harder to land. If you already have a Titan, than the KingCat would be a better fit for this engine. A P70 is better for the Bobcat.

Boomerangs are very good first airplanes and you see a lot of them at Jet Rallys, which means you will find a lot of people to help you. If you must have something scale, go with an F15. There are a number of inexpensive ARF kits available and they are very forgiving in the air and for landing.

You might also seek out a mentor in your area who will give you advice during construction and help buddy box you until you get your waiver ... if they are familiar with a particular kind of trainer, that should be factored into the equation too. Good luck!
Old 06-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Mart (Ham)

I have entered into jets with the boomerang XL and also couldn't be more pleased with it, and have chosen the flash as my second jet, just finished building it, It goes together well and is as easy to build as the boomerang, I will let you know what I think of it as a second jet after the maiden flight. But won't part with the boomerang I just love it.