Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Can a matchbox be used for endpoints

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Can a matchbox be used for endpoints

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 02:08 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can a matchbox be used for endpoints

as well as centering?
Old 06-12-2007, 02:13 PM
SinCityJets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can a matchbox be used for endpoints

Yes
Old 06-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Undecided
My Feedback: (36)

Hey Sean

Centering, Endpoints, Reversing, Of up to 4 servos. I use them and have been very happy with them. Cuts down on need for so many channels for dual flap, elv, ale, servos.

Neal
Old 06-12-2007, 02:52 PM
seanreit

How do you do endpoints? Say Servo 1 as an example.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it the same way as centering, but have the TX set to deflect the servo in the desired way first.

e.g. for elevator you use the incr & decr buttons to set the centre position when the stick is in neutral position ; to set the endpoint for "up", do the same procedure but hold in up elevator.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:25 PM
fw190pilot

Don't forget to save the settings or you will be unhappy at least 5 times (don't ask how I know)
Old 06-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Or you can use a Hitec programmable servo, no machtbox required..

JUST KIDDING
Old 06-13-2007, 12:09 AM
seanreit

hahahahahah
Old 06-13-2007, 07:48 AM
KC36330

i found that adjusting one endpoint moved the other end in the same direction, for me it was just a 'sub-trim' feature with an adjustable centering.

kc
Old 06-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: seanreit

as well as centering?

yes the the instruction manual tell you how to set center point and endpoints even hot to reverse it too.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:07 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

I dont quite remember, but wasn't there some hysteria a few years back about using matchboxes on primary flight controls??Scott
Old 06-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: GSR

I dont quite remember, but wasn't there some hysteria a few years back about using matchboxes on primary flight controls??Scott

Yeah - BVM didn't like them. They've worked just fine for me for many years, and I have no more reservation in using a matchbox than in using any other electronic device.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:48 PM
KC36330

I've used them on flaps and rudder/steering and never had a problem, if i had a situation for them on any other flight surface I'd use them with no hesitation.

kc
Old 06-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

ORIGINAL: seanreit

as well as centering?

Overview
JR's Matchbox servo matcher is a revolutionary new way for giant scale modelers and users of multiple servos on a specific channel to match those servos to a greater degree than ever before. The matching dilemma
Digital servos have brought a whole new level of precision and power to the world of R/C flight. Even with all this precision, they are still subject to the inefficiencies that differences in linkage geometry can create when more than one servo is used on a single control surface. Often, geometric differences are more pronounced with digital servos because of their superior resolution and the fact that they produce 100% torque with just 1°of offset. Add to this the minute variations in power output and centering that identical servos of every brand have, and it's easy to see why matching servos to a task is a little tricky.

JR's simple solution
JR's new MatchBox is an ideal solution to the "matching dilemma," allowing modelers to match servos with precision and flexibility never before possible. Housed in a case about the size of an R610M micro receiver, the MatchBox plugs into any channel of a receiver that is driving more than one servo. Up to four servos can then be plugged into it and independently adjusted, using a simple selector dial and Increase/Decrease buttons on the MatchBox unit itself. Available adjustments include neutral point (sub-trim), end point, and reversing. It also offers the option of powering the servos connected to it via a separate battery pack. In the case of multiple servos on a single control surface, the MatchBox can be used to match each servo's output for better efficiency, as well as power them separately. This allows the modeler to retain a simple single receiver setup instead of having to resort to using two receivers to keep from running too much current through one.

The MatchBox is also ideal for multiple servos on a single channel that are tasked to different applications. A great example would be a scale airplane that has a steering servo and rudder servo that are both driven from the same channel. Not only could the modeler customize the endpoints for each, but the servo direction as well.

How it works
For as many adjustments as the MatchBox is able to perform, it is surprisingly easy to use. Numbers "0" through "9" are displayed on the selector dial. To select a servo and adjustment function, just turn the selector dial to the corresponding position then use the Increase/Decrease buttons to make the desired adjustment.

Position 0:
This is the default position the MatchBox needs to be turned to during normal operation. Any adjustments that are made are stored in memory when the MatchBox is returned to "0".

Position 1-4:
Selecting any of these positions allows the modeler to make servo neutral and end-point adjustments to the corresponding servo using a combination of stick position and the "INCR +" and the "DECR -" buttons.

Position 5-8:
Selecting any of these positions accesses servo reversing for the corresponding servo. Like positions 1-4, these adjustments are made using a combination of stick position (neutral) and the "INCR+" and "DECR-" buttons.

Position 9:
Modelers can reset the MatchBox to default settings by turning the selector to this position and simultaneously pressing the "INCR+" and "DECR-" buttons while turning on the power to the MatchBox. Weighing just over 1/3 ounce, a Matchbox could be put on every control surface of an aircraft without adding much weight at all. Even if each one is equipped with its own power supply, what little extra weight was added to the model would be negligible, as compared to the benefits of the added power and efficiency. The MatchBox includes detailed instructions for performing several different types of setup tasks. Once the adjustments have been made, the MatchBox can be mounted to any flat surface with double-sided servo tape or Velcro®. To find out more about this amazing new technology, stop by your local JR dealer. Experience the versatility and freedom of the MatchBox and you'll wonder how you ever got along without one.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:46 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Hey Sean,

It will do the job but here is the little trick. I routinely use someone else to help me when I set it up. Set the end poitns as per the instructions. that is pretty simple.

To set an end point, you will need to hold hte stick all the way to the desired position, against the stop. This is where I use my wife. She holds the stick over against the stop, and then I adjust the end point of hte servo with teh incr / decr buttons on the matchbox.

1) move the stick all the way to one side and hold it there during the entire process. If the stick move away from teh stop during this process, it will act just like a sub trim function.
2) select the servo number you want to set the end poitn adjustment for: 1, 2, 3, or 4.
3) adjust the end point with teh incr/decr buttons.
4) turn the setting control screw all the way to "0" on the matchbox, (always turn the screw from the 0 to 9. never turn it back against the numbers.
5) release the stick.
repeat for the opposite direction.
Recheck and you should be good. I sometimes need to reset just one click one way or the other.

As for using matchbvoxes on promary flight controls, this is what it was designed for. Giant scale guys have used them for this since the conception.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:21 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

sean

have you tried the smart fly power expander eq10? looks intriguing with that function built in to all ten channels

figured you as the official guinea pig might give it a whirl
Old 06-14-2007, 11:32 AM
KC36330

@ John Redman

every time I've set the endpoint with the stick at the stop in one direction, it automatically moved the other endpoint the same amount (like a sub trim not an ATV), are you saying each can be adjusted independently? if so I've got a few defectives..........

kc
Old 06-14-2007, 11:37 AM
seanreit

ORIGINAL: patf

sean

have you tried the smart fly power expander eq10? looks intriguing with that function built in to all ten channels

figured you as the official guinea pig might give it a whirl
Yes, bunches of the eq 10, it was the first platform I had on my lightning, then I switched it out for the wetronic, but it's goign back in the lightning so I can go 2.4 on the lightning. It is an excellent alternative to powerbox and wetronic, plus it's the only one of those type devices that can be used with 2.4 gig.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:10 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Hey KC,

I have never seen one do what you are saying unless you don't save the settings immediately after you make the adjustments. they could be defective, definitely a possiblity. You can adjust both endpoints as well as the centering, all three are adjustable.It seems odd that all of your are mis-behaving the same way. If you send them into service here at Horizon and put them to my attention, I will look at them with one of our service tech's and see what is going on.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Gordon Mc

I've seen a similar behaviour to KC - on setting up my B-ARF flaps a couple of months ago, and trying to set matches for UP, MID and FULL, I certainly found that the changes to the full flap position did change the UP position and the mid slightly too. I went through the setup 3 or 4 times to get it right eventually.

John indicates that sub-time instead of endpoint will be adjusted if the stick is not in the fully-deflected position, but with the flap positions being set via the flap switch, and not via stick input, that "not quite at full deflection" issue should presumably not apply.

With flaps, there isn't the same concept of "neutral" as with elevator etc though, so perhaps that somehow complicates matters in a way that needs to be clarified.

Gordon