Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DF Hawk \ Turbax 48 fan

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DF Hawk \ Turbax 48 fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 04:16 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default DF Hawk \ Turbax 48 fan

Hello guys,

I just won this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330141329087

I was wondering:
1. whats the diameter of the Turbax fan ? is it 5" like the 80-100 size fans ?
2. does anyone know this plane and can comment ?

I figure for the price its a risk worth taking.. it looks nice in the pictures !

I can get a few fans locally like Dynamax and such (with engines ranging from 82 to 105) and thinking weather these can be made to fit ?

any tips are welcome.
thanks.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:27 AM
meps
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DF Hawk \ Turbax 48 fan

The plane you won is just like the Red Arrows versions on Ebay. I have one of the earlier ones and to be quite honest, I like it.
You can fit a Dynamax in the airplane. Mine is outfitted with a Turbax shroud using cut down Dynamax blades and an OS 65.
The Turbax is a tad bit smaller than the Dynamax.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:35 AM
BirdofpraY
My Feedback: (31)

I got the RED ARROW from the same guy you got yours from and I planing on putting a 5" Electric fan in it.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:45 PM
i3dm

so which fan \ engine combo would you guys recommend ?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:19 AM
meps
My Feedback: (10)

I would use a Dynamax and an OS 77. I saw Joe Luptons perform with this combination and it did extremely well.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:08 AM
i3dm

How about a BVM 81 combo ?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:48 AM
philpop

Does any one know how well the os 46 vx does in this model? I mean are we waisting our time here? Heard they are a pain to tune etc. Would like to keep it cheap and simple for my friends first jet.

cheers
Old 07-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

Buddy of mine has the same one, but red. HE is putting a dynamax os 91 in it. his first one had the same motor fan combo. Came off the ground real quick!
Old 07-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: philpop

Does any one know how well the os 46 vx does in this model? I mean are we waisting our time here? Heard they are a pain to tune etc. Would like to keep it cheap and simple for my friends first jet.

cheers
Got one. Takeoff is marginal, but once you get a circuit on, it flies nice. Not a lot of vertical though. Landing is easy.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:55 PM
philpop

Thanks Edgar, where abouts is your fan unit, and tanks located? Are they a pain to tune? Also how do you start it?

cheers
Old 07-28-2007, 09:30 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Mine had an O.S. .91 and Dynamax combo, it was a rocket!! Great power, it will fly on the .46 but may be a little lack luster in performance.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:42 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: philpop

Thanks Edgar, where abouts is your fan unit, and tanks located? Are they a pain to tune? Also how do you start it?

cheers
PM your emai.l I will send you the manual
Old 07-30-2007, 09:06 AM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

46 will fly the plane well. Less overall weight and longer flight times. You will need to take a bit more time to build speed before the first turn and you will lose a bit in the vertical. Tuning is the same as any ducted fan. Remote needle will help a lot. If you don't have one, leave a bit rich on take-off. Make sure the rear servo mount is glued securely, I would reinforce. Seal the thrust tube as these tend to leak exhaust residue everywhere.

The VX seems to like the Thorjet fan. The Turbax will work well also. I like the Weston mini pipe on this engine.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:22 PM
CLovell
My Feedback: (21)

I had the JHI Hawk with Turbax and K&B .48. Flew fine... if you're going off grass then yes you do need to give it some time to build up speed. If you're going off a hard surface then no problem. If you don't have an engine yet, I'd try and get the K&B 48... the thing is a monster. They're hard to find but out there. Check with JHI. If not they have the Os46.

The key with either engine is following Larry Wolfes instructions for setting up the pipe and use his recommended fuel mix... ie. use a sport fuel with 15% nitro 18% oil and add 1 oz of Turbine oil to the gallon. “Jet Fuel†like JetCat with their 23% oil combo is just too much for the 46/48 class engine. Use Larry’s mix. I use Mobil 245 Turbine oil. It tends to cause any castor to separate but you just need to shake the jug when you head out to the field. The 245 is also photo reactive so it turns your fuel very dark after sitting in the sun. No problem. I've use this fuel mix in my 48's since I got them... years... plus I also us it in my .52 to .91 4-strokes. They love it.

Back to the .48.. set up per JHI... I don't even tach 'em anymore because they're always turning up over 26k usually more like 27. It really is a set and forget system... I just do the pinch test to check the mixture before buttoning up to fly... compensates for the current atmospherics and everything. The OS 46vxdf is about the same. Check out JHI’s website.

My Hawk died due to dumb thumbs... I'm currently flying the .48 in one of JHI's A-7D's... Sweet airplane.
Craig

Old 07-31-2007, 01:29 AM
philpop

great, thanks heaps guys! Looks like a goer

cheers
Old 07-31-2007, 06:31 AM
MMallory

If you use turbine oil remember it is very very toxic. Do not get on your skin. I have run these engines for years using Wildcat DF 15% without issue and no obvious toxic side effects.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:36 AM
philpop

is that the same turbine oil that they use as the 4-5% oil in model turbine fuel? Thanks for the info, didnt know this.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:54 PM
CLovell
My Feedback: (21)

Sorry... I transposed the number... it's Mobile Jet Oil 254. I don't know if I'd say it was very very Toxic. It is a synthetic chemical and it has some toxic components and should be handled appropriately. That also applies to the stuff already in the fuel before adding this to it. The MSDS sheet doesn't indicate an alarming toxicity. Like everything else it should be handled sensibly... ie Keep it off your hands as much as possible, don't eat food with contaminated hands, don't inhale concentrated exhaust smoke, etc., etc

I know this has been and issue for the turbine guys... I specifically went with Mobil 254 because of it's characteristics and relatively low toxicity. Use it, don't use it, I'm just noting what I do. The MSDS for it can be viewed at:

http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/psims/psims.aspx

Enter "Mobil Jet Oil 254" in the product field and it will pull up the MSDS.

Craig
Old 07-31-2007, 05:58 PM
MMallory

Here is what Shell states. I love how they say "not expected". Plus an Aircraft Tech I know told me not to be lax with this stuff and he gave even more stern warnings.

Human Health Hazards
May cause sensitization by skin contact. Prolonged or repeated exposure may give rise to dermatitis. Used oil
may contain harmful impurities. May contain mixed isomers of tricresyl phosphate. Tricresyl phosphate may be
absorbed either through the skin, by ingestion or by inhalation. Tricresyl phosphate is neurotoxic in animals and
man. These effects are delayed and may be permanent depending upon the degree of exposure. However, the
concentration of these harmful isomers of TCP in this product is so low that neurotoxic effects are not expected.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:45 PM
philpop

thanks
heres a question regarding my turbine version of the Bae Hawk im building. Is It ok to store the jet on display in the house, or should they be stored elsewhere, like in a shed? This is regarding the toxic oil, would there be enough residue left in the turbine to evapourate in the house and cause potential dangers? This is my first jet btw.

cheers
Old 08-01-2007, 06:19 AM
MMallory

I doubt the residue is a problem at all as the fuel system should be sealed once you plug the overflow. The Jet fuel however can stink quite a bit if it spills. I keep all of my planes on display inside my house but I am careful to minimize spills.