Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Servo--Rx Breakin ideas please. >

Servo--Rx Breakin ideas please.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Servo--Rx Breakin ideas please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo--Rx Breakin ideas please.

Hi all,

What process do you go through with Running in new servos, and Recievers before putting them in a new jet model ???

I have a servo test and cycler from Graupner, have run servos on the bench with this for half hour in the past--- but not sure whats best--- i have a bunch of Futaba servos to run in my new Rookie 11, and a bunch of JR for my boys Baby Boomerang---
All ideas greatfully recieved.
cheers Jay.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:15 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servo--Rx Breakin ideas please.

I have never heard of a radio manufacturer requiring servos or recievers be broken in when new. I just use an amp meter during instal to insure they don't bind.

Chris
Old 07-29-2007, 09:51 AM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I NEVER run brand new equipment in a brand new airplane. Put them into a real beater to fly them and ensure they're functional. Phil Kraft used to do this on everything he built with the airplane that eventually became the Ugly Stick.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:38 AM
My Feedback: (100)

I used Kraft radios in the early seventy's but things have changed a little since then. 40 years ago you had to break in a car very carefully and adjust the valves every 3000 miles. Who are we to second guess the mfg? If you don't trust the directions I wouldn't use the product. (IMHO)
Old 07-29-2007, 11:23 AM

I started flying single channel in the mid '50's, & i still have a Matador Midas 10channel reed outfit with 5 Bonner duramite servo's, that still work. Over the years i must have used several hundreds if not thousands of servos. This is the first time i have ever heard of 'Breaking or running in' of servos, & have never ever done it, never heard of anyone doing it, nor been instructed to do it by any manufacturer. Do you guy's just look constantly for something to worry about ? (I have just put my tin hat on), to protect me from the showers of abuse & BS about to come my way. He he. I love a good debate.
Ray.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:05 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If an electronic part is going to fail it will usually fail in the first 30 mins of use. I really doubt that the manufactures test the servos for this long. Its really no big deal give the servos a test -Most of us do it without even knowing it when we set the models up the elecronics get a good workout on the bench. If you have JR you can use the servo test function and let them run for a bit.Just remember that you really cant do it in the model- in this mode the servos drive to the full travel and you would probably overtravel the setups. Scott
Old 07-29-2007, 12:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Sonicwings

Hi all,

What process do you go through with Running in new servos, and Recievers before putting them in a new jet model ???

I put 4 screws through the holes and make sure they are tight...
Old 07-29-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

[link]http://www.vexacontrol.com/xciter_details_1.html[/link]

I HAVE (!) read of others breaking in servos. Read it right here in the jets forum. I think that "breaking in" is not the correct term though. The intent is to thouroughly bench TEST the new equipment, finding the occasional bad apple before you lose a 10K airplane to a 100 dollar servo with a bad gear!

The above link is to an interesting looking toy that will test servos on the bench and aid in setup too.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:01 PM
My Feedback: (65)

I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS cycle (break-in, burn-in) new servos for at least 30 minutes using an old ACE Servo Cycler. Have found a few over the years that went belly-up during the burn-in.

I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS fly a new receiver, or one that has been in for repair or checkup, in a bird I keep just for that purpose. Also check out the transmitter after repair or checkup the same way. Have found some bad crystals and one bad receiver this way.

Call me overly cautious, paranoid, or whatever but I have never lost a plane to a servo or receiver problem. Dumb thumbs usually does them in...

(Edited due to being a lousy speller......)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29766.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	731924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80946.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	731925  
Old 07-29-2007, 04:07 PM

Here's one for half the price.
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2007, 04:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Kraft route. Stick the gear in a hack and fly it. I like to be confident in my RC gear so if something untoward happens in the first few flights of a new model I can be reasonably confident that it is not the RC components, maybe the installation but not the gear.

Incidentally in all the years of doing this [30+] I only found a couple of twittery servos and one glitch prone receiver.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 AM
My Feedback: (12)

I keep an old beater trainer to put new RX's and new TX's in for at least an hour of flying before they go into anything new. I bench test new servos for the same hour as well. Doing this for over 30 years I have never had a servo fail to date in a plane. I have had two servo ever fail on the bench and they were in the past year both Jr servos one a 241 and the other a car steering servo forget the number and only one RX fail later and that was at least 15 years ago;It was a first gen Futaba FM forget the model number. Remeber nothing is perfect though.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:22 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

RAM & Ron are correct: you gotta be nuts if you fly a high $$$ turbine bird with new, unproven equipment!!! REALLY!

ALWAYS verify that the servos & reciever function (with a load for servos) for some initial burn-in period. For servos either a loaded bench check or flying in a well worn turd-plane.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Sonicwings

Hi all,

I have a servo test and cycler from Graupner, have run servos on the bench with this for half hour in the past--- but not sure whats best--- i have a bunch of Futaba servos to run in my new Rookie 11, and a bunch of JR for my boys Baby Boomerang---
All ideas greatfully recieved.
cheers Jay.
Put the receiver in the freezer overnight. Quickly while it's still cold fire it up and check it out. That test usually will tell you if there is an installed component that is out of tolerance. Then a vibration test, and finally the good ol swamp & range tests... test the servos the same way same time. Then I do a stall test with the servos to see if the servo amps will hold up to a few stalled moments.

After the new stuff passes these tests then fly it in a beater... I like to keep my beaters for next time!
Lee