Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:47 AM
MAX NITRO
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Flew last weekend with the TM14z module in my 14Mz in a small electric D/F......... Rock solid.
I think I am the first Aussie to fly FASST 14mz!
Old 01-15-2008, 04:53 AM
TommyWatson

Hi,

Did you get your 14MZ 2.4 module overseas?. What about "Region Locked"?. I have a 14MZ 2.4 module and RX on the way from Tower Hobbies. I was a bit worried when I saw the region locked post. Can you clarify?.

I have done the software upgrade.

Regards

Old 01-15-2008, 01:07 PM
ddaveb

I have just installed the futaba updates onto my 12fg version 1.2 & 1.3 with no problem, however I was wondering if anyome knows how to back up my sd card with model memories on it ( I used a second blank sd card to do the updating) a simple copy paste doesn't work because XP wont recognise the futaba file system & in properties the card appears empty. Is there some software available?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:12 PM
ddaveb

I have just installed the futaba updates onto my 12fg version 1.2 & 1.3 with no problem, however I was wondering if anyome knows how to back up my sd card with model memories on it ( I used a second blank sd card to do the updating) a simple copy paste doesn't work because XP wont recognise the futaba file system & in properties the card appears empty. Is there some software available?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:43 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

In order to backup models on the SD card, you have to get the application for reading/writing the SD card that Futaba has out. Its different than the one that comes with the update for the software. Right now, I think you need to get it from the Futaba Flyers Club...

Bob
Old 01-15-2008, 02:33 PM
fly4mation
My Feedback: (14)

Just my 2 cents, I have change 4 of my models to 2.4 using a12fg all of them have been rock solid, #1 rookie with a super eagle, #2 bryon corsair with 4.2 sachs, #3 CMP focke wulf with a mvvs 35cc gas, #4 hanger9 b25 with os 70s. hopefully futaba will pinpoint these issues and give us some feedback
Old 01-15-2008, 02:41 PM
GrayUK

Hey, that is great news! A real cross section of models in that bag!
All good stuff.

Yes, I must admit I am disappointed that Futaba have not said ‘something’ up to this point.[]

I am sure we will hear from Ripmax soon.
Paul
Old 01-16-2008, 09:08 AM
MAX NITRO

Hi Tom,
I got mine from Tower in the USA.
Yes they are region locked but I got around it.
you need to load the previouse version software NOT the updated software for the tm14 module.
Get the 14Mz utility software for the FX40 from www.ripmax.com
Run the software and change region to USA.
Update your 14Mz to the latest TM14 module software and you are done.
Only 1 problem. Plan on flying with 36Mhz again? well you need to revert back to early version software, and change region back to Australasia. pain in the *** but I have made the decision to exclusively fly FASST so I will be selling all my 36 stuff.
Another point is from now on I can only order my Rx's from USA. But thats OK, they work out slightly cheaper than Oz anyway.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:00 AM
SpiderJets

ORIGINAL: MAX NITRO

Hi Tom,
I got mine from Tower in the USA.
Yes they are region locked but I got around it.
you need to load the previouse version software NOT the updated software for the tm14 module.
Get the 14Mz utility software for the FX40 from www.ripmax.com
Run the software and change region to USA.
Update your 14Mz to the latest TM14 module software and you are done.
Only 1 problem. Plan on flying with 36Mhz again? well you need to revert back to early version software, and change region back to Australasia. pain in the *** but I have made the decision to exclusively fly FASST so I will be selling all my 36 stuff.
Another point is from now on I can only order my Rx's from USA. But thats OK, they work out slightly cheaper than Oz anyway.
Very interesting !

But :
1. Is Ripmax really publishing software to download to change the Futaba region code yourself ? [X(] Waaaw ! I must check and see that !
2. I do not think there is a need to buy your RX's from the USA ; the region lock works only between the transmitter and the inserted TX module, NOT to the signals it emits. At least, that's what I understood. Can someone check and confirm this ??

Nicolas.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:24 PM
GrayUK

I know it is of no conciliation but remember, if you do NOT have a faulty TX (only 6 ex and 7C have any record at the moment) you are fine and will not be interfered with even if a faulty set switches on.
You can have a faulty set and fly perfectly safely, providing no one else has one.
So, current info (from a very reliable source) says that the 12 and 14 units do NOT suffer from the 0000 GUID. This means you are safe, even if 1 or 2 (or more) faulty sets are present.

The 7 and 8 modules can theoretically suffer the same problem but due to how they work it is far more unlikely (the 6ex and 7c is very unlikely anyway). No recorded case has been found even in checked stock at Futaba and others.

So at present the only risk is if 2 faulty sets are at the same field and try to fly together.
As I indicated earlier, a quick check of these sets on the ground can confirm that you do not have TWO faulty sets present (or do as the case may be).
This is a temporary and interim 'check' until Futaba, Hobbico, Ripmax, Robbe and others make the announcement and decide what action is to be taken.
I am informed that this announcement will be very, very soon (I am expecting before the end of the week).

For the moment 14,12, 8 and 7 module users can continue as normal, if you want to be ultra cautious then check the 7 and 8 modules as well.

As for 6ex and 7C just ensure checks are made at your field and then before any newcomer switches on.

Paul
Old 01-16-2008, 05:18 PM
jstok

My 14mz module came today after downloading the latest update all seems to be fine ,do any of you guys understand the ref to allocating channels for best performance ?,the downloaded instructions appear not too clear and seem to refer to helis,anybody tried changing channel allocation ,is there any improvment to be had ?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:00 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My new 7 ch R617FS arrived today. I setup the 12FGA in 7Ch FASST mode (VS FASST MULTI for the 14 ch RX) and it took all of 1 second to bind the new RX with the 12FGA. The combination works great. I'll fly this combo when it gets a bit warmer (maybe we will get a 40 degree day). Can't wait till the rest of my 14 Ch receivers get here.
Dom
Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Try click and drag only not copy & paste.. an aircraft file to your desktop... a folder will be created by XP.. if you click and drag you can then load those files to another card in your reader.
Lee H. DeMary
AMA 36099
Old 01-16-2008, 10:20 PM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GrayUK quote:
"current info (from a very reliable source) says that the 12 and 14 units do NOT suffer from the 0000 GUID."
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 6EX and 7C (both FASST). Is there any way I can check my GUIDs?
Regards
JC
Old 01-17-2008, 07:53 AM
GrayUK

Gents

Please check this link.

[link]http://www.ripmax.com/notification_futaba.asp[/link]

Ripmax have not mentioned the 7C 2.4gig 'system' or the 8 modules because they had not sold any in the UK before the problem was identified.

The 7 module is involved because Ripmax want to be over cautious.

Paul Gray
Old 01-17-2008, 08:27 AM
MAX NITRO

As soon as all my buddies get their TM-14s from our Futaba distributors here I will see if a Region lock affects the Rx as well.
I am assuming that not only incorporating a sophisticated demodulation and band processing ability, one would assume that it would not take much more bandwidth and processing to receive region information from the Tx which can in theroy block your Tx ID from enabling the Rx.
But I will see....... soon
Old 01-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Jurgen Heilig

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

Gents

Please check this link.

[link]http://www.ripmax.com/notification_futaba.asp[/link]
Unfortunately this notification covers only part of the problem. Apart from FASST systems delivered with "ZGUID", there are also cases where the systems have lost their GUID later and what about those guys who live miles away from a dealer?

Jürgen

Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 AM
GrayUK

With regard to the 5 second cycle issue.

I am told the actual problem was this.

1) On the 6 EX, it was discovered that if you turned the tx on and then turned it off 0.5 second later (+-20ms) the GUID could be reset to zero. It is THAT critical, is has to be exactly that 40ms window on the 0.5 second mark. It would seem that it is very unlikely to happen in the field although it is possible. What seems to have happened is that at some point in the auto testing of the TX units after they have been programmed with the GUID, there are power cycles in the test. This power cycle was close to the time window, as such it could (on occasion) wipe the pre-programmed GUID. Futaba have changed this to prevent it happening again.
2) The same applies to the 7 C 2,4 and the 7 Module but the time is 2 seconds (+-20ms).

This info is reliable but it is second hand and as such is only what I believe to be the case.
This is why Futaba have recommended a minimum cycle time of 5 seconds to ensure this cannot happen.
As far as the flat battery issue is concerned I am informed that all tests have failed to duplicate this fault, the feeling is that is is related to the above in some way.

I am sure Futaba will continue to tighten up on this problem to ensure no re-occurrence.

Paul Gray
Old 01-18-2008, 03:04 PM
DavidQ
My Feedback: (12)

Hi Johhny,
Is your 12 FG 2.4 dedicated or is it a 12FG with the 2.4 module?
David
Old 01-18-2008, 03:11 PM
DavidQ
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Jetflyer 24

Hi,

I test flew my brand new Jet Model Products T-33 today with a brand new Futaba 12 FGA.

JR 8611 full house
2 Fromeco 5200's for the RX
Dual Wolverine Switch
2 Fromeco regulators set at 5.8

Flawless and Rock Solid ......

I'm very happy and very glad I finally jumped ship. It took me a long time to do this, I will be buying more receivers to transfer all my jets to this new system and transmitter.

If I could change anything would be to ad a Lithium pack to the TX, that's all.
Sorry, double post.

Hi Johhny,
Is your 12 FG 2.4 dedicated or is it a 12FG with the 2.4 module?
David
Old 01-18-2008, 03:14 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Futaba does not make a dedicated 2.4 12 or 14 channel system. They all use the tm-14 module.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:53 AM
SpiderJets

1. The 14MZ 2.4 GHz FASST is expected for March, the 12FGA FASST is already shipping. I have a 14MZ FASST on order. Check out the Futaba Radio Support Forum here on RCU for the expected delivery dates : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6016025/tm.htm

2. Just was confirmed by Robbe (= head office Austria) that the TM-14 modules are region locked and they will not service or assist for any parts not been sold by Robbe.
If there's a way to get around it, so much the better. It's sad to buy the most expensive equipments available and not get prompt assistance unless you can proove to the distributor it has passed through their hands. For the cheaper stuff, they seem not to bother. It should be the other way around.
It is likely that such pilots travel to international meetings and they are bumping against a lot of "no's" and/or trouble when asking to have their region codes changed temporarily, although it is very easy if you know HOW. Bring in the complete FASST sets and let's forget about these poor userfriendly commercial strategies ! By all means, they should have warned buyers of TM-14 modules of the region lock in the first place. A lot of pilots placed their orders in the USA only for the simple reason it would be available there first and they wanted to have it fast (deliveries were nonethless SLOWW) . Now you have to figure it out yourself how to solve it. Just my two cents.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:27 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I am really suprised Tower would sell Futaba equipment to people in Europe. The reason for regional coding has to be to protect from Gray Market importing.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:28 AM
TommyWatson

Hi Nicolas,

I did the downgrade to 1.31, then I ran the FX40 utility program and changed the area to America. Then I upgraded to 1.38. Now (as expected) my 36 mhz australian module shows up as "Mismatched RF Module". I still have not received my 14 ch 2.4 module or Rx, so I can't tell if it works but it is looking good so far. Thanks to MaxNitro for the info.

I don't plan to go back to 36 Mhz as I have a 9Zap that I use for my Weatronic Receivers.

I also have a 6EX and a 7C and they seem to be OK as far as the Zero GUID problem.

Regards

Old 01-19-2008, 01:31 AM
TommyWatson

Tower Hobbies will sell to whoever wants to buy from them. Why do they care?. I got my 6EX and 7C from tower. Much cheaper (and more readily available) than from the LHS. I also got my 9ZAP from tower without a module and I put my 36 Mhz modules in.

Regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.