Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hysol vs. 30 min. epoxy for falcon

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hysol vs. 30 min. epoxy for falcon

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 PM
larry11
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hysol vs. 30 min. epoxy for falcon

Can someone tell me what the difference is, and is it absolutally necessary to use hysol as I dont have any on hand.

I am building a Nitro Models falcon equipped with a P-70.

I will be using the hysol or 30 min. epoxy to glue in the formers and to reinforce where needed.

thanks in advance.
larry
Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Hysol vs. 30 min. epoxy for falcon

Not really required to use hysol.. however it's convenient when placing formers as it will stay in place, instead of dripping down due to gravity
Old 11-28-2007, 07:49 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Many jets were built and flown before it was common amongst most of us to use hysol products.......
Old 11-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Myself: the 30 min epoxie added to an existing glue joint will do fine.

Joeflyer just flew his with a wren supersport... he has posted in Falcon 120 thead. Send him a PM ask him what he used.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Many jets were built and flown before it was common amongst most of us to use hysol products.......
Indeed. If you have some milled fibre, coloidal silica, or similar material, you can mix that with regular epoxy to make it more like the thixatropic glues. Just be advised that such mixing alters the pot life, so you may want to mix smaller batches at a time.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:52 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Larry,

It's not necessary to use Hysol. If you look at my entries in the Falcon 120 thread you can see how I modified and eliminated some of the formers. I used Hysol on the formers that support the nose gear and 30 minute epoxy everywhere else.

If I didn't have the Hysol on hand I would have mixed milled fiber with the epoxy for extra strength, as Gordon suggested, on the nose gear formers only. The glue that Nitro Models uses is not adequate, so you definitely need to go over all the critical joints.

Good luck with your project. The plane flys great. Let me know if you have any questions.

Joe
Old 11-29-2007, 06:42 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have never used it (I don't have anything against it but just never tried it). I use good old Bob Smith Industries 5, 30 min epoxy mixed with a bit of micro balloons. I have never had a hinge, former or anything else ever come loose. I think proper technique goes a long way....especially with hinges.
Dom
Old 11-29-2007, 07:03 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

thats how i do it
i mix about 25-25% cotton fibers and epoxy fibers thru the 30 min zap epoxys
works best and wont drip out
Old 11-29-2007, 09:18 AM
larry11
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks guys for your responses. I will then proceed with epoxy!

Joe, I am sure I will be pm'ing you with questions as my build proceeds.

Larry
Old 11-29-2007, 11:40 AM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Man it cracks me up that all you guys are still paying through the nose for Hysol or BSI 5-30 minute epoxy.

I bought a West Systems Epoxy system about 7 years ago and never looked back. The setup costs about $65 for a quart of resin, 7 oz hardner, and the pumps. You can add silica, microballoons or milled fiberglass to thicken it up. You can find it at West Marine.

BTW: This stuff is VERY strong. The High Power rocket guys use it all the time. I've seen many projects go through Mach using it.

Chris
Old 11-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ChrisAttebery

Man it cracks me up that all you guys are still paying through the nose for Hysol or BSI 5-30 minute epoxy.

I bought a West Systems Epoxy system about 7 years ago and never looked back. The setup costs about $65 for a quart of resin, 7 oz hardner, and the pumps. You can add silica, microballoons or milled fiberglass to thicken it up.
Each has it's place as far as I am concerned. I use numerous epoxies including the West system, but the fact that it has such a weird mix ratio makes it quite a bit less suitable for use in those cases where e.g. you just want a half teaspoon of thixotropic glue to fix some small part in place.

With the tube-based solutions such as Hysol, it's very easy to get the quantity of glue you want without waste. With regular 1:1 epoxy mixes, you can make a reasonably small amount of glue up, and then add some milled fibre etc to it. With the non 1-1 mixes, I end up having to mix a far greater amount of epoxy up than I need - and then that larger amount of epoxy also uses up a larger amount of milled fibre etc., so that my required half-teaspoonful of glue ends up wasting gobs and gobs of glue and fibre.

Personally, I'm quite happy using my approximately $8 per tube Hysol in the cases where it suits best, my (free) PIC 5 -> 30 minute epoxies where they are the best, and West Systems and other such glues in the applications where they are the best.

For other people, simply the convenience of not having to fart around with trying to get the mix of epoxy to milled fibre (etc) right, is more than enough to justify the "paying through the nose" $8 or so per tube for Hysol.

Gordon
Old 11-29-2007, 01:01 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Once you use Hysol and the mixing nozzles and dispensing gun you will never go back. It may be a little more expensive but it is well worth it!! So easy to apply Hysol to former joints with the 6" nozzles reaching back pretty far. Also with the new E20HP(??) formula I don't have to wait all night to let the first application setup, it dries in about 75-90 minutes.

The only thing I ever use West Marine epoxy for is fiberglassing, as it is a laminating resin and thats what its designed for. Its is also good for molds and layups of sort but like Gordon says I dont like to fiddle with ratios and milled fibers unless I absolutely have too.