Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Strobe lights circuit....help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Strobe lights circuit....help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:07 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Strobe lights circuit....help

I am looking to build some strobe light circuit for a large passenger jet. I have found a few simple circuits on the net, but to be honest I am pretty lame when it comes to interpeting these things. I get lost pretty quick, but can follow directions pretty good. I found the following circuit, and need the opinion of the electronic gurus here as to whether it will work, and if not give me some advice on what will work. I want to use the Luxeon emitters for strobes at the wing tips and need a circuit which will allow me to use a 11.1 volts and regulate the timing. I can solder it up to a board, but I don't want it to be huge. Any ideas?
Tommy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61867.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	817739  
Old 12-03-2007, 01:48 PM
jetjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Strobe lights circuit....help

Hello Tommy,
I don't know if this is any use, but I got this from local electronics store recently. Works really well.

Link to it working, + bit of fun. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z2yj4HX1Vhs

All the best,
John C

Name:	Us52752.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	817754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62087.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	817755  
Old 12-03-2007, 01:58 PM
DocYates

John,
Cool video. How much was the little circuit, and is it readily available? What size battery is it using? I am actually looking for something to use the bigger Luxeon LEDs with, but something like this might work if you play with it.
Tommy
Old 12-03-2007, 02:00 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Tommy,
Simple Solution for you [link=http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=51]HERE[/link]
Old 12-03-2007, 02:11 PM
DocYates

Todd,
With the five bulb EVO system, can I make two of the whites strobe with the other in a fixed position? Are these programmable? What voltage doe they use?
Thanks for the link.
Tommy
Old 12-03-2007, 02:17 PM
jetjohn

Hi Tommy,

The kit cost about £5.00 GBP ( approx $10.00 ) complete with holder for 9.6volt PP3 battery here in the U.K.
Supplied by Maplin Electronics. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...source=15&SD=Y
I added the red & green LED using a small resistor in the feed to each led, they are then powered off the 9.6volt battery supply, power taken from the on off switch.
The great thing about the kit was the low cost & ease of assembly.
Also as you can see from the photo of it you have a choice of fast & slow flash depending on switch position plus you can fine tune the flash speed even further with the rotary pot.
I must admit I did overheat one of the transistors when I soldered it up but they only cost 11 pence each so major hardship.
It is designed for 9.6volt std pp3 battery, but I am using a 8.4volt 400mah nicad, max power consumption is 40ma so it should run for over 10 Hours on one charge.
As photo it is a Vellman kit, their site being www.velleman.be or www.velleman-kit.com
Here is the link to USA site .
http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/pr...iew/?id=351265
I hope this helps,
Regards,
John C
p.s. All I did was take the ultrabright white led's off the board and solder them onto some lengths of lightweight cable.
( Just checked web site price and adjusted this reply )
Old 12-03-2007, 02:42 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: DocYates

Todd,
With the five bulb EVO system, can I make two of the whites strobe with the other in a fixed position? Are these programmable? What voltage doe they use?
Thanks for the link.
Tommy
Tommy,
With the Evo 5 you can select which channels are beacon and which are fixed in any quantity, ie: 2 beacon, 3 position ; 3 beacon 2 position ect... You can also select lights to be controlled by the TX if desired. You also have the choice of 16 variations of flash sequence in the beacon settings. Extremely high quality modules that are fully programmable.
The Multilight mini module offers up to 8 channels, two of which can be controlled by the TX if desired.
We also have rotating beacons in red and white in a small and large size.
These modules are designed to run on 4.8 to 6V and are compatible with SMT or Luxeon bulbs.
Todd
Old 12-03-2007, 03:21 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

While we are on the subject of lighting, can someone tell me where I can get a red dome enclosure like the one shown in this picture????

Name:	He97092.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	817801  
Old 12-03-2007, 04:17 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a link to a do it yourself nav light setup I did.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_53...tm.htm#5362281

Scott
Old 12-03-2007, 04:40 PM
DocYates

Thanks Scott,
That is a great thread for someone like me who is doe not have a clue about those things.
Todd has some great products, and the Luxeon emitters are really awesome, you can see these tings during the daylight with no problem. I am buildind a 727 and want all the flashing lights including some strobes on the wing tips and landing lights on the wing LE.
Tommy
Old 12-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Adil Nasim
My Feedback: (61)

I have the EVO 5 from Todd as well as full lighting package for the SM F-4. It is DA BOMB. So many programming options etc. I love having the afterburner lights mated to the throttle channel to do various effects at different settings.

I am using 4.8v and it is BRIGHT. I am thankful that Todd warned me about looking at the Luxeon Emitters directly..

Adil