Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Airworld 1/7th scale L-39 Likes/Dislikes

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Airworld 1/7th scale L-39 Likes/Dislikes

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Airworld 1/7th scale L-39 Likes/Dislikes

If you have built an flown the Airworld 1/7th Scale L-39 I would like to hear what you thought about the kit and flying qualities of the finished model. If you could list which turbine you used and the weight of the model sans fuel that would be really helpful too.
I'm thinking of building one of these to fly at my local field and would like to use Gold 44 as I want to keep the wing loading to the absolute minimum. Since this model is about the same size as the Fox Composite Hawk I would think performance would be similar.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 12-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Redline7000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airworld 1/7th scale L-39 Likes/Dislikes

Not too discourage you from the Airworld L39, why not look into the Savex L39. The turbine of choice for the Savex is the Wren 44. It's supposed to be a brilliant jet with this powerplant.

http://www.savex.cz/
Old 12-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Bob_B

I have seen the Savex fly with the Gold 44 but I want a larger model than the Savex.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:52 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Bob

Me again!

I have an Airworld L-39 1/7th with a JetCat P80.
I would say the ideal turbine is a P60-P70 if you are going to build a scale aeroplane-ie gear doors etc.
Mine has full gear doors, legs cockpit etc.
Also my kit is an early wood lined kits and AW now use foam which tends to be lighter.
If you go wire legs and light detail I think it will fly fine on the 44 Gold
kit is basic and instructions lacking-I have notes on my web site under articles and tips from when I built my L-39

regards

Dave
Old 12-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Bob_B

I'll check your site.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 12-05-2007, 08:26 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: R_Belluomini

I'll check your site.
Thanks,
Bob
if you fly of grass it will never lift of on a Wren 44...
Old 12-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Dave Wilshere

Sandor

I'll take that bet...

Dave
Old 12-05-2007, 03:18 PM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave

I bet you'll win that bet. The power to weight of the Airworld L39 with a 44 gold will be very similiar to a Savex L39 with the original Wren 44 and mine had no problem taking off from grass. I think the Airworld L39 / 44 gold will be a very nice combination.

John
Old 12-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Bob_B

That is what I thought too John as I have seen the Savex model fly on both versions of the 44. The Gold powered L39 was very impressive!!

ORIGINAL: john agnew

Dave

I bet you'll win that bet. The power to weight of the Airworld L39 with a 44 gold will be very similiar to a Savex L39 with the original Wren 44 and mine had no problem taking off from grass. I think the Airworld L39 / 44 gold will be a very nice combination.

John
Old 12-06-2007, 03:50 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob

My Savex L39 was 11lbs dry with 7.2lbs of thrust. I am sure you could build the Airworld L39 at 14 -15lbs the only difference will be the airframe weight as all of the equipment that works in the Savex version would also work in the Airworld giving you the same installation weight. 10 lbs of thrust is plenty for that weight and the model will be very nice to fly with the low wing loading.

John
Old 12-06-2007, 04:15 AM
Dave Wilshere

Guys

I would guess 15-16, but that's still plenty with a 44 Gold
We flew a 15lb Panther with a Hobby Jets 632 (7lb thrust) and it was fine...

Dave
Old 12-06-2007, 05:53 AM
Dave Kelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I built and flew an Airworld 1/7th L39 for the 2007 Jet World Masters in Ireland.
I powered the plane (which was just under 9kg's) with a Wren Supersport. The model had unlimited verticals and was very slippery on landing with scale faired in flaps linkages (as i enclosed all the flap linkages internally and used 3421 JR servos....If you want to enclose the linkages and use the pre-fitted Airworld servo mounts you will need two of these servos and a way of reversing one of them...)
I lost the model on flight 3 (radio or Rx battery failure, i think no control when going downwind for landing) and the major headache is fitting the radio equipment and a full depth cockpit. Tricky and tight.
I needed no nose weight with the Supersport, Mick Reeves tailpipe and the ECU and Rx batteries mounted either side of the Nose undercarriage.
The Kit is a difficult (lots of Aeropoxy in fuselage recepticles) and a time consuming build (if you want a scale model with all linkages internal (Rudder,ailerons and flaps) and rivet panel lines in place, the Meratti/Eurokit recommended undercarriage legs are poor and prone to cracking and the Hawe retracts are not very smooth in operation. ..and for the money i think there are better, bigger and more prefinished ARTF's out there nowadays.

just my £0.02 but it's your money!

Dave Kelly Scotland
Old 12-06-2007, 09:15 AM
Bob_B

Thanks for this info, exactly what I was looking for.
Bob

ORIGINAL: Dave Kelly

Hi,
I built and flew an Airworld 1/7th L39 for the 2007 Jet World Masters in Ireland.
I powered the plane (which was just under 9kg's) with a Wren Supersport. The model had unlimited verticals and was very slippery on landing with scale faired in flaps linkages (as i enclosed all the flap linkages internally and used 3421 JR servos....If you want to enclose the linkages and use the pre-fitted Airworld servo mounts you will need two of these servos and a way of reversing one of them...)
I lost the model on flight 3 (radio or Rx battery failure, i think no control when going downwind for landing) and the major headache is fitting the radio equipment and a full depth cockpit. Tricky and tight.
I needed no nose weight with the Supersport, Mick Reeves tailpipe and the ECU and Rx batteries mounted either side of the Nose undercarriage.
The Kit is a difficult (lots of Aeropoxy in fuselage recepticles) and a time consuming build (if you want a scale model with all linkages internal (Rudder,ailerons and flaps) and rivet panel lines in place, the Meratti/Eurokit recommended undercarriage legs are poor and prone to cracking and the Hawe retracts are not very smooth in operation. ..and for the money i think there are better, bigger and more prefinished ARTF's out there nowadays.

just my £0.02 but it's your money!

Dave Kelly Scotland