Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ram 500 Starter Motor Removal/Replacement Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ram 500 Starter Motor Removal/Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ram 500 Starter Motor Removal/Replacement Question

How do you remove the outer aluminum case to service a Ram 500 starter motor???--Is it a press fit or does it unscrew???---Or is it serviceable at all???---Engine is a Ram 500R..

THANKS!! Kevin
Old 12-06-2007, 07:57 PM
flyexperimental

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ram 500 Starter Motor Removal/Replacement Question

It is threaded on,should screw right off.Just changed the starter motor on mine.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Kevin Greene

I've twisted it as hard as I could to no avail---[:@]---Any ideas as to how to loosen it up???

Kevin
Old 12-06-2007, 08:23 PM
flyexperimental

I put some duct tape on it and gently gave it a turn to break it loose with a small pair of channel locks.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:53 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

If its "X" style starter (larger) then unscrew, if original 500 it is press fit, just pull off-you may need to use a heat gun to help if it is stuck. Scott
Old 12-06-2007, 09:00 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Kevin,
Does it have the round standoff's (new style) or air foil shape (original style).

If round standoff's then it should unscrew; I would highly recommend a strap wrench so you do not distort the housing, see photo.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Kevin Greene

Thanks for all of the replies!!!---OK...I managed to get the outer aluminum cover off (mine is the old style with airfoil shaped standoffs)...The sticker that was on the motor had fused itself to the aluminum housing cover making removal of the housing difficult to say the least...

Now, How do you change the motor on this old style starter???...Does the Bendix need to be removed first???---I can't see how the motor is attached to the lower housing...

Again---Thanks for the help!!!

Kevin
Old 12-06-2007, 10:52 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If you have the old style I believe you are out of luck, it is almost impossible to take it apart and I don't think you can get parts.
You can by the new style from Modelbau USA however you will need a new front cover housing.

you might want to check with Carlos at RTI

Good Luck

Rich

Old 12-07-2007, 02:13 AM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I know this might not be what you want to hear, but I'd send it to Carlos at RTI. I resently recieved my Ram 1000 back with a $475 repair bill because I tried to change a bad starter myself. I was only a speed 280BB motor and should be a piece of cake. Long and short of it, the starter wasn't aligned and spaced out properly and that caused it to drag. The dragging starter messed up the preload and took out the bearings and shaft. The worst part about it is the engine only had about a half hour on new bearings.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:54 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Changing a starter motor shouldnt be all that difficult as long as you keep the spacings the same.. No ?
Old 12-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Kevin Greene

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

If you have the old style I believe you are out of luck, it is almost impossible to take it apart and I don't think you can get parts.
You can by the new style from Modelbau USA however you will need a new front cover housing.

you might want to check with Carlos at RTI

Good Luck

Rich

By front cover housing do you mean the aluminum fairing or the front cover to the compressor???---There has to be a way to take it apart and there has to be someone out there that knows how!!!---

Kevin
Old 12-07-2007, 03:41 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin,
The bendix on the ones (3) I have had apart were pressed on the starter motor shaft. I cut the motor apart with a dremel so I could get to the bendix without destroying the bendix or other parts.

I then modified the bendix to mount to the motor shaft with set screws. This was a very difficult process and I don't recommend doing what I did.

I am in the process right now of removing the starter permanently and have built a hand held wand starter. I will test this system in next few days. This was a lot of work and not sure it will be worth it.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Kevin Greene

How is the motor held in place on the lower section of the housing???---I cannot see how the motor and Bendix are held in place---Is it a press fit or what???

I managed to repair the starter motor that I have (The wires broke away from th solder tabs) but I would like to know how it was originally built as I would like to reverse the procedure to get it apart to replace the motor if needed in the future...

Thanks!!!

Kevin
Old 12-07-2007, 06:27 PM
GSR

I wrote a page a few years ago about how to do this for a 750. It is the same for a 500. Do a search for ram starter with me as the author. The 750/1000s used a different motor , but the procedure is the same. Scott
Old 12-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Kevin Greene

ORIGINAL: GSR

I wrote a page a few years ago about how to do this for a 750. It is the same for a 500. Do a search for ram starter with me as the author. The 750/1000s used a different motor , but the procedure is the same. Scott
I did a search and this is all I could come up with---I would really appreciate it if you could find the post as this is all that comes up with the search...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47.../tm.htm#474633

Kevin
Old 12-08-2007, 12:33 AM
GSR

Cant find it now- Short version: Remove cowl from can. Remove bullet cover.Use whatever method you choose (lathe, 2 inch dremel wheel,saw) to cut the motor off right at the end of the can. Cut between the end of hte can and the magnets. Push the shaft with bendix out though the motor end plate. You can now reach the two screws that hold the motor end plate to the tripod. Remove them. The bendix is loctited and pressed on the shaft. Remove it with out deforming it or it wont work right. It is just soft brass and aluminum. Use heat to help. You cant drive it out from the front as there is a cross shaft all the way through. If you cant heat it up and pull off you will have to disassemble the bendix and drive the shaft out. If you must- drive out the cross shaft with the right size drift. Make sure to note orientations. Support well to not deform it. The outer bendix and spring will know come off the aluminum center. Now you can support the center part andrive out the motor shaft stub with the correct size drift. Mount new motor to tripod. Replace Bendix -press/locktite it on. If your are real ambitious you can make the bendix removable by drilling and tapping the center section for 2-56 set screws. thats it Your done- Yeah right it will take about 3 hours and threre is a good chance you will f up the bendix.
Send it to Carlos. Scott
Old 12-08-2007, 02:02 AM
Kevin Greene

Thanks Scott!!!--I've always been a do it yourself kind of guy especially if I can save a significant amount of $$$---When the motor craps out I will give your way a shot...Again, thanks for the explanation.

Kevin
Old 12-08-2007, 10:07 AM
fast_bro
My Feedback: (8)

What are you putting the 500 on. Glad to see that you finally got a good motor RAM Let me know if you all are going to get together and fly again maybe I will not be working next time.
Later