Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Tailerons on a BARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Tailerons on a BARF

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:07 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Tailerons on a BARF

Whadda ya guys think about that?

I've had great success with my hornets using tailerons so, I'm just about to start wiring up my Diamond Back BARF and was thinking about using tailerons. Anyone tried it?

Raf
Old 12-10-2007, 03:09 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tailerons on a BARF

IME the BARF needs all the elevator throw it can get and the use of tailerons would be taking away from that when necessary.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:20 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Raf,

I assumed you meant stabilators and not tailerons, not sure that tailerons would have enough roll authority on a Bandit but I could be wrong!

Are the elevators already cut out of the stabs?

Have you asked BV what he thinks about this idea (BTW I have asked in the past and have the scars to prove it!!)

Regards,

PS the very first Bandit was designed with all moving stabilators, BTW.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Matt,
Mental, physical or both!?

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Hi Raf,

Are the elevators already cut out of the stabs?

Have you asked BV what he thinks about this idea (BTW I have asked in the past and have the scars to prove it!!)

Regards,

PS the very first Bandit was designed with all moving tailerons, BTW.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Nothing like enough tail authority.

It’s sweet as designed…leave it that way!

Dave Wilshere
Old 12-10-2007, 05:05 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing is ever perfect, I think give it a try Raf, thats is if your willing to use yours as a test platform?

So your thinking about using the wing ailerons and the stabs as ailerons? Are you just looking for more roll rate? Or are you thinking of just using the stabs as ailerons too? Also are you going to do like the one person suggested and use the whole stab or the cutout stabs like they usually come?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:49 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: ravill

Whadda ya guys think about that?

I've had great success with my hornets using tailerons so, I'm just about to start wiring up my Diamond Back BARF and was thinking about using tailerons. Anyone tried it?

Raf

OK I think I get it now, you were asking about using the elevators as "tailerons" (i.e. not just normal elevator action but differential ailerons as well), and not all flying stabs as the F-18 uses. I thought you were talking about having all flying stabs (whether used for pitch or pitch and roll)

All I know is you can get a LOT of roll on a BVM bandit with just the ailerons. The pitch control can be separate.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Gordon Mc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think vectored thrust would be a much cooler mod than tailerons ! C'mon Raffie - you can do it !!!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:14 PM
ravill

Matt, I had a feeling that if I called BVM and wanted to do any deviation from the build, I'd get 12 lashings!

I was just going to use the stabs as they came, ie cut out. I have seen my bandits do some really fast rolls, so I know that I won't need a higher roll rate!

I have used EVERY bit of elevators on flare before, so I know that a slow moving bandit uses up alot of elevator travel. But lets face it, Bandits tip stall. My super balsa bandit did it on me twice! [X(]

Just before the first tip stall, I was floored at how sllloooowww the bandit could fly! Luckily I was able to just correct that tip stall with just a broken flex plate! [sm=red_smile.gif]

Don't ask me about the second time!

Raf
Old 12-10-2007, 07:31 PM
ravill

I was thinking that tailerons might help with this. I'm a believer in crow as it also increases effective washout and I've been able to slow my bandits waaayy down with out tip stalling.

Its not that I'm trying to tip stall the airplane, [:@], but I'd like as much insurance as possible. I was thinking that changing the wing tip aerodynamics(a corrected down pointing taileron increasing effective wash in) might induce a tip stall.

With tailerons, the wing tips (ie ailerons) would move less, causing less changes in the wing tip aerodynamics? Kind of a stretch? Maybe?

I heard, through a friend, that uncle Bob was very unhappy with the suggestion of using crow, but my bandits, and others, have been very happy using crow!

With my hornets, I noted that the turns are smoother with the tail end of the jet actually slicing through the turn instead of just dragging its "heiny" through the turn using just ailerons. I doubt I'd notice such a change with a bandit because we bandit flyers know that a bandit slices and dices!

Vectored thrust, hmm, I can't hover a prop plane, and only the McBrizzle hovers jets!

Raf
Old 12-10-2007, 07:34 PM
ravill

Flying stabs on a bandit? Hmm that might be interesting...

Raf