Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle F-15 (1/9) Building Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fly Eagle F-15 (1/9) Building Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:45 AM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Fly Eagle F-15 (1/9) Building Thread

Yeah I want everything internal.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Eagle Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some more ....

Steven
Old 09-29-2008, 07:55 AM
757Driver

Great Pics!
Old 09-30-2008, 06:26 PM
ZivBit

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Eagledriver,

Great setup!

Can you show some pictures of where you located the fule pump, solenoids, UAT tank etc? the back of the plane?
I am building one now and not sure where to put it.

Thanks,
Zivo
Old 10-04-2008, 12:38 AM
757Driver

1. Servos, Servo Extentions [color=#0000CC]I like the servocity.com or airwild.com custom extensions. If you don't want to make your own, I understand...it takes time, money and patience. If you plan on purchasing them prebuilt, then I recomend building the jet, figure out where you want everything and then, using some string or twine, determine the length that works for your setup. There is'nt a standard setup as it depends upon the systems you choose and where you locate everything.
Servo type: I would never use a "standard servo" for anything. The loads and or preciscion that jet airplanes require fall outside the capabilities of a standard servo. As the other gentleman mentioned, its hard to beat a metal gear servo, especially a digital. Now that said, I am on a budget as well so I'm doing things a bit different. I must first tell you that my goals are to end up with a very reliable jet that is relitively inexpensive, around 3000usd, and one that will be fairly light weight so that the approach and stall speeds will be low to accomodate a 400' runway. So you should also know that just as in full scale airplanes, I always preach that we should have a reason, a damn good one, for everything we do in an airplane. This is because people die when we do the wrong thing. Commonly known as pilot error. Your jet can kill. With that in mind you should have good reason for the servos you choose as well as the rest of the equiptment. More to come. I lost my other post as I timed out.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:46 AM
757Driver

2. Airbourne Battery Pack for electronics....should there be only one battery or different batteries for different applications I like redundant batts on the RX because even if the space heater quites the jet turns into a flast glider. You still have control. I run two 2700mah Li Ion (Fromeco) packs into a smart fly sprot regulator. Then into the Rx. This makes the total capicity 5400mah with redundancy and pack balancing. Keeps'em even.

3. Reciver and antennas? PCM all the way. I run one 149DP Futaba Rx. 2.4 is great but its more money and the PCM crap is totally issue free.

4. Air gauges I like one system for gear and doors, another for brakes. This reduces the risk of leakage. If the brakes don't work you will be the first to know. They don't need a gauge. Just more weight, plumbing and if they don't work....just kill the trubine and push it back to the pits. I like the dual Dreamworks.com setup but its not cheap.

5. Glues...what type of glue, ie. CA, epoxy?? One word Hysol....they also make clear which I will use on my next bird. I love it.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:12 AM
757Driver

Taxi testing near. I got the nose on today and the final install on the fuel tanks, UAT, turbine, fuel pump, air tanks and belly pan below the engine. What a ton of lines and wires. I used heavy duty silicon in airsol form to lube the gear and door systems. Works well. No leaks. I proved the UP-3 system and it is flawless right out of the package. I forgot that I used cheap 322HD servos for the gear and brake valves. Nothing more is required and I have $5 in each servo. You will also want to use 3/16" fuel line all the way to the ECU pump. Keeps the fuel flowing freely with less load on the pump. USE FILTERS. I like them before the UAT, befor the pump and after the pump. Atleast one Festo and the others can be Sullivan. Keep the filters where they can be inspected prior to each weekend. Heres where I am today. She's on her feet and ready for final air line routing and servo wire fitting. Also need to make up the ECU pack and install.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90546.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1045657  
Old 10-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Eagle Driver

Hi zivbit,

in Post 192 Pic 4 you can see the UAT,sitting on top of the small fuse-tank.
will take and post new pictures for you this afternoon.

Steven
Old 10-04-2008, 01:22 AM
757Driver

Ok, my first jet. Damn! There alot of systems that converge into the nose. Lotta stuff! I forgot to mention earlier that I had a problem with the Robart "T's that I installed. The kit doestn't come with enough if you want to run gauges. I recommend getting extra air line, restrictors and two 4 ways, for the airlines and 4 more three way fittings. Also get a couple of extra airtanks. Air volume is cheap and doesn't weigh much. I got 3 pair of Robart "T" fittings and none of them worked. All were blocked and wouldn't flow any air. I had to drill them out and resolder one of them. I checked CG today and it looks good. I'm shooting for the 150mm mark from LE aft. Prob nose heavy but safe.

Name:	Jh15766.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1045661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94527.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1045662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67614.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1045663  
Old 10-04-2008, 07:42 AM
LearnedInUk
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 757Driver

Now that said, I am on a budget as well so I'm doing things a bit different. I must first tell you that my goals are to end up with a very reliable jet that is relitively inexpensive, around 3000usd, and one that will be fairly light weight so that the approach and stall speeds will be low to accomodate a 400' runway.
Around 3k? I assume that would be for all less engine. The engines I am looking at all seem to be around 2500-3000. Also what engine are you using?

Thanks, loving the build thread. Hope to join it soon...

P.S. I think I see a sweet looking Firebird or Camaro. Any pics of that?
Old 10-04-2008, 10:22 AM
757Driver

Actually I found a an airstart AMT USA AT-280 with 6 hours on it. Its came with everything, even the ASU and data termainal. It also has a custom FOD screen and a test stand. I got a super deal on it at $1600 shipped. It runs great. AMT USA sent me a free owners manual for it as well. The kit was 1335 delivered. I have about 400 in extras from dreamworks, UAT, T's, Hysol, ect... I found two new 7955TG's on here for 160 delivered. Got the rest of my servos some new and some used for about 120. I probably have another 250 in batteries, the smartfly regulator and the 149DP PCM Rx. So thats fairly accurate less the transmitter and the cost of setting up my new fuel jug, fuel, oil, propane. I realized that each flight will cost me about 10 dollars just in fuel. WOW! It is more than 3K,3865 actually, but not too bad. It would be more accurate to say 4K total if you include the fuel can stuff. I'll get some pics of that setup later...prob monday.

My car is a 69 bird.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:07 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: 757Driver

...I realized that each flight will cost me about 10 dollars just in fuel...
That is especially true with the AMT-280. Reliable engines, but *thirsty*! Watch where you set your timer. I'd go no more than 5 minutes with one go-around with the 280 in the F-15...

Bob
Old 10-04-2008, 02:17 PM
757Driver

Thanks Bob! While I have you here, I was not happy with the position of the tank outlet on the header tank on our Eagles. The clunk sits at the bottom of the tank just fine but when I turn it to the inverted position it makes the clunk line too long. I could shorten it but then I wouldn't be able to reach the fuel at the back/bottom of the tank. Do you have any pics of your tank/clunk lines?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:40 PM
rhklenke

So I finally got the replacement (Robart) nose gear in and started tracking down the fuel leak that I had the last time I attempted to fly the F-15 (over two months ago). Well I found it...

It turns out that there was an area in the main tank where there was not enough resing in the layup and there were a bunch of pin holes. Somebody at the factory tried to fix them with either thick CA or 5 minute epoxy. Either way, the repair didn't work. I cleaned it out and fixed the leak with aeropoxy. Then I went to take a look at the main tanks just to make sure that they were OK...

To my shock, I found that the layers of laminate in the main tanks had separated and even though the tanks were dry inside, there was fuel and air bubbles inside between the layers of glass in the tanks. [X(] They are totally flexible in that area and I'm not sure how long they will stay together. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on them.

So I put the airplane back together and cycled the gear. To my complete disappointment, I discovered that there is another leak in the main gear that I will have to track down [:@].

I am so completely over this plane! [:@] I've had it since June and its been out at the field about 4 times in in the shop for about 90% of the time I've owned it. I will not buy another Fly Eagle product... [:'(]

Bob
Old 10-07-2008, 02:03 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

rhklenke Don't give up now you are about to run out of things to fix. My nose gear cylinder leaked when I got it. I tried everything, than I found the fix. The Piston is plastic and what you need to do is remove it from the bore, put it in a drill or lathe, where you can spin it. take a piece of 1500 grit wet and dry, and roll up a piece the size of the groove. Spin the piston and touch the groove, Very lightly. I did replace the O-Rings, these pistons are double O-Ring. Ill do the mains before I build the jet. Use a good 0-Ring lube. Should last forever.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:12 PM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: drdoom

rhklenke Don't give up now you are about to run out of things to fix.

[snip]
You got that right! Here's what I've replaced so far...

-all door cylinders (leaked) - replaced with new ones from Tamjets
-all door hinges (1/2 of them broke at one point or the other) - replaced with new ones from Tam
-all air valves (leaked) - replaced with new ones from BVM and UP
-main wheels and brakes (tires leaked and pulled off the rims) - replaced with Tams wheels and brakes
-several air "T" fittings (leaked) - replaced with Airpower ones
-nose wheel strut (excessive play that could not be fixed resulted in ground handling so bad the aircraft could not be taken off) - entire nose wheel retract, strut, and wheel replaced with Robart unit
-all 3 fuel tank stoppers (original ones turned to dust after having fuel in the tanks for less than a week) - replaced with DuBro stoppers
-main gear springs (too soft) - original springs caused ground handling problems as plane full of fuel, would "lean" to one side or the other and then get stuck there - replacement springs are still too soft...

The next thing is, if the main gear units leak or the struts don't work, I'll replace them with Robat 650's and struts. That way, I won't have ANY Fly Eagle retract or air system hardware in the plane at all...

I don't know what I'll do if the main fuel tank splits and starts to leak - either try and replace them with Jet Legend ones or have an F-15 bond fire in my back yard ... []

Bob
Old 10-07-2008, 05:01 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

ORIGINAL: drdoom

rhklenke Don't give up now you are about to run out of things to fix.

[snip]

I don't know what I'll do if the main fuel tank splits and starts to leak - either try and replace them with Jet Legend ones or have an F-15 bond fire in my back yard ... []

Bob
Bob,
Call me, Ill come over and take video. We'll put it on youtube

Marty
Old 10-07-2008, 05:58 PM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: afterburner

Bob,
Call me, Ill come over and take video. We'll put it on youtube

Marty
Cool, that would be a first for me!

Bob
Old 10-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Eagle Driver

You got that right! Here's what I've replaced so far...

-all door cylinders (leaked) - replaced with new ones from Tamjets
-all door hinges (1/2 of them broke at one point or the other) - replaced with new ones from Tam
-all air valves (leaked) - replaced with new ones from BVM and UP
-main wheels and brakes (tires leaked and pulled off the rims) - replaced with Tams wheels and brakes
-several air "T" fittings (leaked) - replaced with Airpower ones
-nose wheel strut (excessive play that could not be fixed resulted in ground handling so bad the aircraft could not be taken off) - entire nose wheel retract, strut, and wheel replaced with Robart unit
-all 3 fuel tank stoppers (original ones turned to dust after having fuel in the tanks for less than a week) - replaced with DuBro stoppers
-main gear springs (too soft) - original springs caused ground handling problems as plane full of fuel, would "lean" to one side or the other and then get stuck there - replacement springs are still too soft...

The next thing is, if the main gear units leak or the struts don't work, I'll replace them with Robat 650's and struts. That way, I won't have ANY Fly Eagle retract or air system hardware in the plane at all...

I don't know what I'll do if the main fuel tank splits and starts to leak - either try and replace them with Jet Legend ones or have an F-15 bond fire in my back yard ...

Bob
so many Problems, have you ever send a email to James ? i`ll think he will fix it all ......

not one of these problems with my eagle, everything works fine.

Steven
Old 10-07-2008, 08:17 PM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: Eagle Driver

so many Problems, have you ever send a email to James ? i`ll think he will fix it all ......

not one of these problems with my eagle, everything works fine.

Steven
Yep, James has tried very much to help, and I appreciate it. However, all of the parts he's sent me have had the same problems...

I wonder though about everyone who says that they haven't had any problems - that's in how many flights?

Bob
Old 10-08-2008, 02:11 AM
757Driver

I had made good headway on the jet and had the front end all ready to go. To my suprize when I tried to power the ECU nothing worked. I later found a dead cell in the pack that I built. I also started to burn in the servos and one of my rudder servos died after about 5 minutes. I replaced the servo and will hopefully get the ECU batt lined out tommorow. The gear system (up-3 Valve) works well and no leaks after some lube and silicon spray. The only complaint with the FEJ brakes is that they tend to stay engaged after the air is removed. Heres a few more pics and hope to make taxi tests today.

Name:	Ge94060.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1048012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79410.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1048013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72972.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1048014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke90206.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1048015  
Old 10-08-2008, 02:15 AM
757Driver

more pics.

Name:	Ca83104.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1048016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78455.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1048017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24626.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1048018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76595.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1048019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz31202.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1048020  
Old 10-08-2008, 02:17 AM
757Driver

a few more...

Name:	Tq48781.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1048021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74385.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1048022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47977.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1048023  
Old 10-08-2008, 09:26 PM
757Driver

Started her up today and performed taxi testing. The B-duct worked well and temps were 165 F at the highest point. This was at idle power and should be just fine with even more power and air flow during flight. The steering was good and the jet went streight down the runway. I setup a rudder rate for takeoff and landing to reduce the steering to almost nill. I did manage to tip the jet during a turn I made that was too fast. The jet does have a high CG. Crosswinds worry me with the narrow gear and high CG.

I have a few more little issues to sort out and will hopfully fly this weekend.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:59 PM
nt flyer

Hi Jason. What is your all up weight?

There is a review of the FEJ F!5 in the August edition of RCJI. They gave it a good wrap, and suggested a gyro for the steering channel.

Cheers,

Greg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.