Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Milled Fiberglass to Hysol?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Milled Fiberglass to Hysol?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 05:25 PM
jetspud

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Milled Fiberglass to Hysol?

Does adding milled fiberglass add any stength to hysol or is strong enough that you dont need it.

David
Old 05-19-2008, 05:53 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Milled Fiberglass to Hysol?

David,

I've mixed Hysol with milled glass to repair a landing gear mount and it is TOUGH! I can't tell you if anything is strong enough though.

I have no idea what the technical properties are but it looks good to me.

John
Old 05-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Resin alone isn't very strong, until you mix it with glass or carbon fibers. That is where the (tensile, atleast) strength will take off! I am assuming Hysol still is resin only, and has no fiber content.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:15 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I take any scraps of fiberglass and carbon I have left over and put them in a jar. I then stick shears in the jar and chop them up into fibers, maybe 3/8 inch long. I mix this with 9460 F. Use it to mount formers and such, works great

BTW I THINK you can buy this stuff at auto body supply places, like "kitty hair" or something like that (rimshot)
Old 05-19-2008, 11:16 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

O I see...I guess I'm the only giggling 5 year old who just farted in church who thought the last line was funny??? Barry? Justin??? help a bruther out LOL

cheers
buck

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

I take any scraps of fiberglass and carbon I have left over and put them in a jar. I then stick shears in the jar and chop them up into fibers, maybe 3/8 inch long. I mix this with 9460 F. Use it to mount formers and such, works great

BTW I THINK you can buy this stuff at auto body supply places, like "kitty hair" or something like that (rimshot)
Old 05-19-2008, 11:35 PM
jetspud

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buck,

You are older that me, but i am used to things being clean, without anything.... Must be the times...
Old 05-19-2008, 11:44 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

O I see...I guess I'm the only giggling 5 year old who just farted in church who thought the last line was funny??? Barry? Justin??? help a bruther out LOL

cheers
buck
The possibilities are endless, but I am NOT going there!

On a serious note, you can buy chopped glass and kevlar fibers ("kevlar pulp") from multiple sources, I bought a couple quart-sized bags of each from Fibreglast years ago and am still using them. Like Matt, I also keep all my scrap carbon cloth bits and use scissors to cut them into 1/32" and 1/16" length bits...a little goes a long way. The Kevlar pulp in particular is great for internal reinforcements on gear formers and rail joints.

I've tested the Hysol/Kevlar mix to Mach 2.1 succesfully....

Barry
Old 05-20-2008, 12:29 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When I typed that, my money was on Sands!
Old 05-20-2008, 01:27 AM
yeahbaby

LOL

I couldn't resist. it's been a long day of waiting for my flights at dfw and phoenix sky harbor terminals. fun fun fun.......not

barry's serious about the 2.1 mach thing. he's built a couple of rockets that have attained altitudes in excess of 20,000' pretty cool stuff fo'show considering he built it in his garage. post some pix you little weirdo!!!

cheers
Old 05-20-2008, 01:46 AM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

LOL

I couldn't resist. it's been a long day of waiting for my flights at dfw and phoenix sky harbor terminals. fun fun fun.......not

barry's serious about the 2.1 mach thing. he's built a couple of rockets that have attained altitudes in excess of 20,000' pretty cool stuff fo'show considering he built it in his garage. post some pix you little weirdo!!!

cheers
a bit off subject, had to make an unplanned trip to Cinci today myself - 5 hrs getting there, 1 hr mtg, 6 hrs back ...[:@]

since you asked... this beast weighs 102 lbs at launch, fuse tubing is 6" spiral wound S-glass fiber, fins are 1/4" nomex honeycomb core with 3 layers of 5oz CF cloth bonded with 9462 mixed with kevlar pulp and several layers of kevlar and glass cloth on top of the joints. Max altitude so far is 68'K, max speed just over 2.1m around 45'K (coasts on up to max altitude). two flight computers onboard with 2 (backup) baro altimeters, 900 mhz telemetry with realtime GPS and video downlink, and two backup 219mhz tracking beacons... what I do when it's too hot/dry to fly turbines around here.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33420.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	953205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77421.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	953206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59716.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	953207  
Old 05-20-2008, 02:20 AM
cactusflyer

Buck, You should have called me. I would have come out and bought you a soda at PHX.............

John
Old 05-20-2008, 06:49 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

[X(] WOW
Old 05-20-2008, 11:50 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

The thixotrypic (sp? fancy word value=$1.25) Hysol already has some filler in it, though I don't know what it is.

If you're going to mix in a filler, I'd start with a regular laminating resin like West. I did this with some chopped carbon fiber and man, was that stuff tough! I bought the bulk (1 pound) from CST sales and I don't remember it being expensive. By the way, 1 pound should last you a life time of RC airplane work...
Old 05-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Gordito Volador
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cheers
buck

We could chop up a merkin. There has to be an old Glascat somewhere we can cannibalize.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:29 PM
jetboy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gordito Volador

cheers
buck

We could chop up a merkin. There has to be an old Glascat somewhere we can cannibalize.
Bill,
By definition that just makes it Publar, an exotic composite.
Jetboy
Old 05-20-2008, 02:52 PM
yeahbaby

[sm=thumbup.gif]I'll give you a ring later this week amigo. i'll be sittin in phx for a couple of hours on thursday on my way home.

cheers
buck

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

Buck, You should have called me. I would have come out and bought you a soda at PHX.............

John
Old 05-20-2008, 02:55 PM
yeahbaby

Barry's response:
beeps and squeeks

Buck's (aka ricky bobby)response:

I want to go Fast and high too

ORIGINAL: dbarrym

a bit off subject, had to make an unplanned trip to Cinci today myself - 5 hrs getting there, 1 hr mtg, 6 hrs back ...[:@]

since you asked... this beast weighs 102 lbs at launch, fuse tubing is 6" spiral wound S-glass fiber, fins are 1/4" nomex honeycomb core with 3 layers of 5oz CF cloth bonded with 9462 mixed with kevlar pulp and several layers of kevlar and glass cloth on top of the joints. Max altitude so far is 68'K, max speed just over 2.1m around 45'K (coasts on up to max altitude). two flight computers onboard with 2 (backup) baro altimeters, 900 mhz telemetry with realtime GPS and video downlink, and two backup 219mhz tracking beacons... what I do when it's too hot/dry to fly turbines around here.

Barry
Old 05-20-2008, 03:47 PM
cactusflyer

Buck

I'm work'in Thursday but I will be passing through PHX between 11:00 and noon so it will have to be a "diet" soda for me!

Tailwinds,

John