Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RAM 750P And the Thermocouple

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RAM 750P And the Thermocouple

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 06:23 PM
cy paul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAM 750P And the Thermocouple

Hello Guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to test a thermocouple to see if its defective or not? Having issues getting my 705P to run, well it runs jsut the pump doesn't seem to kick in so i'm wondering if its the thermocouple?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
C
Old 05-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RAM 750P And the Thermocouple

The thermocouple used with the RAM engine is a "K" type thermocouple (Alumel/Chromel).
All it needs is heat.
It is made by Omega Instruments....and available from most good electronic parts companies.

It must be plugged into the ECU, and the battery must be charged. You do not need to remove it from the engine or rotate the engine in order to test it.

With everything hooked up, carefully warm the thermocouple tip with a propane torch. Watch for the temperature indication to rise on the start box display. You needn't rotate the engine to see the EGT increase.....
If you get no indication, the thermocouple is probably NFG.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What makes you think it's the thermocouple? are you not getting temp readings? is your turbine an auto start or air start?

Assuming the problem is the thermocouple:

RAM ecu's use an ungrounded thermocople, if yours is a grounded version or if it got shorted(by bending it too much) it won't work and can damage your ECU, to check it use a continuity tester between any of the plug contacts and the thermocouple wire itself, if it has continuity between any of the two conectors and the sensing wire, it's shorted, and needs to be replaced.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:42 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[/quote]
RAM ecu's use an ungrounded thermocople, if yours is a grounded version or if it got shorted(by bending it too much) it won't work and can damage your ECU, to check it use a continuity tester between any of the plug contacts and the thermocouple wire itself, if it has continuity between any of the two conectors and the sensing wire, it's shorted, and needs to be replaced.
Yep thats how you test it [sm=thumbup.gif]. Or isolate the thermocople from the body of the engine put the tip in front the cone without touching then restart.