Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Not a good day flying.......

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Not a good day flying.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a good day flying.......

Saturday I lost my favorite jet. My XL went in. I had 88 flights on it before it went in. I thought I would install a smoke system. There were about 25-30 people watching. I took off very smooth and circled the field, I hit the switch for the smoke and the smoke came on,,,,,right to the ground. I had no elevator. I still don't no why I lost elevator. Wondering if I might have had a mix on that switch??? Smoke system worked well in my basement over the winter, BUT I didn't have the booms and rear stab attached. Guess it was my fault not to check it at the field with the smoke on AND all controll surfaces. The XL had 11 flights on it this season. The thing that really hurts is that I just put in a brand new P120 SE from Jetcat. As I said, only 11 flight. All is gone ECU, IO board, fuel pump ETC. The turbine also has a few dings in it. I am hoping that when I send this in to jetcat Tuesday, the guys at jetcat are in a good mood when they estimate it for repairs
My advise to all Jet pilots,,,,, Number all the parts If I would have numbered the parts, I might have bee able to repair this.... Just kiddin

Here are the remains

Hoss
Attached Images    
Old 05-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Charts

Default RE: Not a good day flying.......

Sorry to hear about you misfortune Hoss. A lesson to us all - carry out extensive checks after a major modification.

Chris
Old 05-25-2008, 02:33 PM
GrayUK

Bad, bad day [][]

Old 05-25-2008, 03:02 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry for your loss...
...but i think you become more carefull now if im corect you just become also a better jetpilot than you where!

get up and fly[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-25-2008, 04:13 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One lesson here (easier said than done in the heat of emergency) When you do something (turn on smoke) and something bad happens- Undo what you just did (turn smoke off). I learned this with an asymetrical flap deployment. Scott
Old 05-25-2008, 10:19 PM
TSR
My Feedback: (5)

Back in 52, Jake Edwards was flying and he had a red, no green jet, it was hot that day, wind out of the west, his car had over 20.000 miles on it, but there was no water to drink, lot's of soda but the road was dusty too. The tires cost a lot but, ATM didn't have an electric start, Jact Renolds was there and he had on some really big boots, it was about 80 out, no more like 72. Too many bugs that day. Ahhh, what was I taking about?
R.O.

How am I doing Hoss? Ha, ha, ha..ha! Who does that sound like? Ha, ha, ha...ha!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:27 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

TSR,
I thought you were talking to me. I was talking to (er... listening to) that same guy at the field today.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:35 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your plane. After two year of great fun, my XL did a nose dive approximately 30 seconds into the first flight of the day. The plane rolled slowly to the right, pointed the nose down, and would not respond to any radio input. The airframe and engine were totalled. Only 9 servos survived the crash.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:04 AM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

David Jackson
Our crashes sound the same........ I don't think I'm going to give up on boomerangs........ I started with a Intro moved to a XL an now mabe a Elan. They are nice flying planes
Thanks for the responses guys, AND TSR I do remember that day

Hoss
Old 05-26-2008, 07:29 AM
TSR
My Feedback: (5)

[X(]Yup, I remember back in 42, no it was 52... anyway the crash, well it was a hot day, did I mention that Bud Seelock was there? He was driving and old 56 Dodge, well... the rain started in at 4:02 P.M. my lunch was cold and my left sock got wet, it was my blue sock, not the red one. Okay the crash, I got this kit from Jursy Kit's, it's out of business now, I had to sue them, the kit cost me almost twelve bucks back then, of course you only got paid two bucks and hour, I was working for this trucking comapany called Blue Star... bla, bla, bla and so Roger goes... no point, just words![:'(] Oh well.
R.O.
It was your J&R alright, or a sun spot, earth quake? Roger, Roger, Roger???????? What a guy... he is a guy isn't he?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:52 AM
DAVAL
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Hoss
Sorry about your lost , A number of years ago I had a extra & put a smoke system on it , the 1st time I turned it on it went out of control & I lost it.
lesson learned , I always now go very high & have someone next to me turn it on the 1st time & have them ready to turn off if I get interferences.
You just have to go on Hoss. Good Luck