Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Air flow rate control

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Air flow rate control

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air flow rate control

What mechanisms are you guys using for flow rate control (not pressure - just rate) for retracts, gear doors, etc ?

I'm rigging 11 gear doors on my Jag just now, trying to control rates not only to avoid bang-bang actuation, but also to ensure that one door opens slightly slower than another so that they don't hit each other, etc.

Robart restrictors have their uses, but aren't quite up to what I want here. I tried clippard valves like the one shown below, but all of the useful control for my application is in the last 1.5 degrees of the many-turn needle, so it just isn't fine enough. Old fashioned mechanisms like using a wheel collet to clamp down and retsrict airlines have similar problems in that the control is too rough.

Any good ideas and/or product out there ?

Gordon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30054.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	958386  
Old 05-27-2008, 07:53 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: Air flow rate control

hard as this sounds to do, it does work.

brass tube, electrical grade solder, and a set of fine numbered drill bits.

you have 2 areas of restriction to work with, length of restriction and diameter of hole.

takes patience, but worth the effort.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:29 PM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

What mechanisms are you guys using for flow rate control (not pressure - just rate) for retracts, gear doors, etc ?

I'm rigging 11 gear doors on my Jag just now, trying to control rates not only to avoid bang-bang actuation, but also to ensure that one door opens slightly slower than another so that they don't hit each other, etc.

Robart restrictors have their uses, but aren't quite up to what I want here. I tried clippard valves like the one shown below, but all of the useful control for my application is in the last 1.5 degrees of the many-turn needle, so it just isn't fine enough. Old fashioned mechanisms like using a wheel collet to clamp down and retsrict airlines have similar problems in that the control is too rough.

Gordon
Gordon,
I got control valve that similar.
Give me a call and we can go over the installation. Maybe 2 brain put together can come up good way to do it.

Name:	Db84219.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	958511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50252.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	958512  
Old 05-27-2008, 11:11 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Gordon try the Clippard MNV 1K, it is EXTREMELY precise. I use them on the gear doors of my F4 to do exactly what you are trying to achieve. Since set up years ago they have never needed adjustment.
Regards, David,
Old 05-28-2008, 01:58 AM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Gordon,

I use the SMC In-line One-touch Speed Controller Fitting for my gear. I use two for the gear, works great. They can also be used for gear doors. Catalog link below, see page 7:

http://www.smcetech.com/CC_catalogs/smc/pdf/AS.pdf

Ken

Name:	Xv64392.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	958652  
Old 05-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Gordon Mc

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I will buy some of these doohickeys and see how they work out.

Gordon
Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Gordon Mc

Hey David - do you happen to know of a clippard part # for the female-threaded barb that the valve requires ? I know I can use the regular 11752-2 male-threaded barb for the female port in the vave, but I can't find the equivalent part of the opposite sex. Tried calling clippard but no response - they may not be open yet.

-

OK - got it. In case anyone else is interested, the part #s for the female threaded barbs are:

http://www.clippard.com/store/displa...ku=11752-2-PKG for 1/16" barb
http://www.clippard.com/store/displa...ku=11752-4-PKG for 1/8" barb
Old 05-28-2008, 01:43 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cyclinder control 101, the proper way to control a cyclinder is by restricting the atmospheric exit air side of the cyclinder and not limiting the inlet flow, this takes a check valve built internally into the valve and proper orientation of the check and needle restriction. this will give repeatable results and one would be needed on both sides.

By using orifice type hole restrictions your basically limiting air "in" on one direction and limiting atmospheric air "out" in the other direction for some basic weird compromise. Where this will show up is if you flip your model on the side or upside down where the gear load works in conjunction with gravity, you will have a whole nutha set of speeds. Inflight airpressues could drive you nuts.

Also air is very compressable and we move very little of it and that is why the mixed reviews of succes with flow controls on the valve itself, its really best to be as close the the cyclinder barb as possible, Gordon this alone will change your first clippard results.

I can buy inline restrictors of .001" drilled increments with any hose barb size needed. When differing speeds in both directions are not needed, one on each side gets the job done retracts only but does exhibit the slow creep movement.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: c/f
Cyclinder control 101, the proper way to control a cyclinder is by restricting the atmospheric exit air side of the cyclinder and not limiting the inlet flow, this takes a check valve built internally into the valve and proper orientation of the check and needle restriction. this will give repeatable results and one would be needed on both sides.
I do have restrictors on the airflow in both directions for the gear doors, though not for the airbrakes since they are "spring-extend, air close" and so only have one "throttleable" direction.

Also air is very compressable and we move very little of it and that is why the mixed reviews of succes with flow controls on the valve itself, its really best to be as close the the cyclinder barb as possible, Gordon this alone will change your first clippard results.
Hmmm …. problem here is that I really don't want to use 22 separate restrictors on the 11 doors (+2 more on the airbrakes) if I can avoid it.

I can buy inline restrictors of .001" drilled increments with any hose barb size needed. When differing speeds in both directions are not needed, one on each side gets the job done retracts only but does exhibit the slow creep movement.
Can you advise where you get these ? I'd be interested in getting some to experiment with.

Gordon
Old 05-29-2008, 08:49 PM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Sorry, Gordon, no. I have the parts I think you mean but they dont have a part number on it. My Google directs me to the Australian Clippard web site , yours in the US may well show the part. Regards, David.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:38 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Ken replied ...
I use the SMC In-line One-touch Speed Controller Fitting for my gear.
Do they sell direct or do you have to go thru a distributor (like Fastenal)?
Old 06-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Airforce7

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...oducts_id=1556
Old 06-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Another thing you might be interested in for all those doors is the Tom Cook manifold.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:33 AM
GrayUK

All these you have listed are large and heavy.

Try these guys.

[link=http://www.westgroup.co.uk/]West home[/link]

More specific
Air Logic - Accessories Catalogue
[link=http://www.westgroup.co.uk/catalogue.asp]Airlogic[/link]

Download Air Logic - Accessories Catalogue pdf

This is the range i use, look at the restrictors.

Not just the restrictors but this site is a Gem for just about anything for model pneumatics

Paul
Old 06-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Airforce7

Paul,

Thanks for sharing these links; I really like the inline gauge from The West Group. I might look into buying one of those in the future.

As for the orifice restrictors, I currently use two Airlogic inline barbed orifice restrictors in my Rafale. Beware; you need to handle them with care as they break very easy when pressing the tubing onto the barbs. The body also has a part line and can crack with to much pressure during tubing application. Look carefully at the PSI rating for these as well, in some cases they won’t handle the pressure we’re putting into our jet pneumatic system(s).

Ken
Old 02-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Garthwood

ORIGINAL: tamjets

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Gordon
Gordon,
I got control valve that similar.
Give me a call and we can go over the installation. Maybe 2 brain put together can come up good way to do it.
Tam.......I have one of those Adjustable Retract valve (TJARV02) that I bought from Darrell at Sierra Giants. It was included with the kit when i purchased the Sierra Rotating retracts for my 60 size H9 Corsair. I'm having some problems with air leaks, I think.
Also it is retracting (up) to fast, bang bang. I have a medium size air tank, 100 psi. Getting about 3-5 cycles by then the air pressure gauge is tell me that I still have around 82 psi. At that psi only one will go down and the other one stops at the rotating stage.
I am using a standard Futaba 3004 servo. Attached a picture of the set up. I have filled up to 100 psi and left it over night, by the morning (8 hrs) the air gauge showed me I only had about 10 psi.
This is my first try with retracts, so my experience from 1-10 is maybe 0. Need help please.

Garthwood.

Name:	Hf98727.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1131248