Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sounds too cheap

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sounds too cheap

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:58 AM
rcdriver22
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds too cheap

Is there a base line cost into turbine jets? I'm advertising elsewhere a mint Baby Boomerang original as new, together with Behotec JP66 19 lb thrust turbine with bespoke manufacturers engine mount, together with Orbit full FADEC control. The behotec is currently manual configured to save weight. The parts etc to upgrade to auto are included. This turbine has 2+ hours sucking cold air and blowing hot. No FOD damage but there are skip marks on the comnpressor (when the hand starter has jumped on spool up) Also a minor dint on the rear can back edge. Low price reflects this. Engine can be seen running. All this jet needs is to be fitted out with of servos, rx gear etc ,etc. and then flown.

It it a cheap entry in Jets and Turbines at $1980? Why I'm asking is I paid Alan $990 for the orinial kit and got it built by a friend for $300, they now sell ARTF for $700[&o] so those prices mean nothing and the Behotec is about $2000 new?

This is the only hobby I know where you buy new one day and the next sell it for 50% less. Just testing views

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68434.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	960152  
Old 05-30-2008, 11:30 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Sounds too cheap

ORIGINAL: rcdriver22

This is the only hobby I know where you buy new one day and the next sell it for 50% less. Just testing views

Paul

I would disagree. Go buy a new car and drive it off the lot then try to sell it back to them. Same thing, not to mention, market sets the price.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:43 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry to burst your bubble, but as a rule, you get 50 cents on the dollar when you sell used.

There are sooooo many times, I've been on the classifieds (yours too Ian ) where I want to ask if the airplane is titanium dipped. Some people want to sell for what they paid...

Good for them, if they can.

Raf
Old 05-30-2008, 12:59 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Thats why you havent seen mine up there Raffy. If I cant get what I think its worth then I will fly it to its demise.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:56 PM
flyexperimental

If you buy a good used jet right,it can be flown for some time and be sold a few years later for what you paid for it.If you do not like to take a beating on selling stuff you bought new just don't buy new.I am about to turn 40 and I have never had a new car.I have had cars and trucks only a year or two old,but I let the guy that bought it new loose 15,000 for having it a year and driving 20,000 miles.My used Boomerang(which I bought used)with about 150 flights sold for $2500 in less than a day or two on RCU.I feel I had it priced to sell,aparently I did.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:00 PM
rcdriver22

Thanks for the input.
Its a theme I've discussed with some here off line, like Easytiger would have said its what the buyer is willing and wants to pay. If I'm honest then say with a Wren 44 Gold its not going down 50% as there is a healthy resale market. With Behotec very strong resale in Europe less interest Stateside.

Paul
Old 05-30-2008, 06:19 PM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input.
Its a theme I've discussed with some here off line, like Easytiger would have said its what the buyer is willing and wants to pay. If I'm honest then say with a Wren 44 Gold its not going down 50% as there is a healthy resale market. With Behotec very strong resale in Europe less interest Stateside.

Paul
Why do you have quote C.M.? It ruins a good thought and thread.......

DW_Crash
Old 05-30-2008, 10:36 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

I agree 100%. I tied to sell my HotSpot ready to go for 2500. I reduced the price to 2000 and received an offer of a 1974 Cadillac. The plane has only being flown once in the last year, so I will fly it until it is no longer flight worthy.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:05 AM
rcdriver22

ORIGINAL: dw_crash

Thanks for the input.

Paul

DW_Crash
DW
Oops that wasn't mean't to alien you, Curtis didn't have a 100% record, you and his jet sold to you are the proof. On RCU he was in your face with most posts and most times very direct, that I liked as he belittled many on line egos. That said you stuck with that deal and sorted it out your end. If you weren't straight you could have sold the problems on to another jet flyer.

I've bought jet goods from around this globe and 99% of jet sellers are real great guys. Its my preferred route, I've paid cash to a German jet guy today who could go vacation now on the cash, but I know he is sound and goods are as stated. Stateside, I'm about to pay 50% to a guy for a jet he values fairly at $1000 on his own offer, with no RCU/ebay/paypal background but his referee was pure gold! I'd buy a busted flush on that referral.

So if paying 50% is no kind of insurance against a lemon, its not a fair guarantee. I bought my very first turbine a PT75 ( home builders hmm) blind on trust, turned out he was a GTBA founder and writer in the RCJI mag. I was later after running it (untutored no help) introduced to another GTBA committee member and a UK turbine rep who instructed me on the turbine building basics mostly online or on the phone for free. Thats priceless

Paul
Old 06-01-2008, 01:30 PM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: dw_crash

Thanks for the input.

Paul

DW_Crash
DW
Oops that wasn't mean't to alien you, Curtis didn't have a 100% record, you and his jet sold to you are the proof. On RCU he was in your face with most posts and most times very direct, that I liked as he belittled many on line egos. That said you stuck with that deal and sorted it out your end. If you weren't straight you could have sold the problems on to another jet flyer.

I've bought jet goods from around this globe and 99% of jet sellers are real great guys. Its my preferred route, I've paid cash to a German jet guy today who could go vacation now on the cash, but I know he is sound and goods are as stated. Stateside, I'm about to pay 50% to a guy for a jet he values fairly at $1000 on his own offer, with no RCU/ebay/paypal background but his referee was pure gold! I'd buy a busted flush on that referral.

So if paying 50% is no kind of insurance against a lemon, its not a fair guarantee. I bought my very first turbine a PT75 ( home builders hmm) blind on trust, turned out he was a GTBA founder and writer in the RCJI mag. I was later after running it (untutored no help) introduced to another GTBA committee member and a UK turbine rep who instructed me on the turbine building basics mostly online or on the phone for free. Thats priceless

Paul
Paul,

After a lot of effort, the Reaper and JJ1400 are sorted out and work well. In the end though, I ended up spending more than if I had purchsed the same stuff new. And, I still have an impending Fraud case to deal with. So, I learned a lessons about buying online:

1) Closely look at the persons record. Contact the negative feedbacks and hear what went wrong etc.
2) NEVER pay more than 1/2 of new for anything used. Even 'new' stuff, I don't go more than 2/3 of new. You just don't know.
3) Don't but bids in as a joke cause it looked like a good deal. I never expected to win the bid on the Reaper. I was the only bidder at the starting price. I thought surely someone else would out bid me by $5 and win it. I guess other knew what I didn't.

Thanks,
Dave