Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

TBM Shock Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

TBM Shock Jet

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Mr DJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TBM Shock Jet

Do any of you guys have a record book that you record data in after every start up and/or flight? If so, what info are you logging; the same data displayed on the data terminal?

Thanks...

Mr DJ
Old 10-30-2008, 09:23 PM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

I record time of flight, antenna fades if any (spektrum) and monitor shutdown data. after getting home I record how many milliamps each battery takes during charge and there is 4 of them, 2x receiver batts, 1 ecu and one smoke pump battery. I did a search for flight log here in the jet section and came up with a great program that track all kinds of stuff and allows time or flight number triggers for maint. purposes. after inputting all the data from my 7 jets it also gives you total flights for all or any one jet and agrand total of expenses< that one scared me[X(]

Kevin
Old 10-30-2008, 09:44 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin, What turbine are you running in your shock?? I have a nice running T-500 I just bolted up in mine tonight. If a 12 Ib. suppose to fly it than I think this T-500 will be fine. The only thing I'm apprehensive about is that nose over after raising the flaps on takeoff. So have to think alittle about getting some Elev mixing set up. Think I have a few extr 5645 laying around. I know I have some 9204's. Have a smear of them old well liked 605's but kinda don't want to install a plastic gear. Ha. Roy
Old 10-30-2008, 10:07 PM
seflyer

I am running a p-70, take off is short, in slow flight with full flaps at near idle turning the flaps off has really little effect, I think they produce more drag than lift, with out the flaps deployed you can bleed off airspeed to near full flap speed for landing it just takes time.
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28908.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	1062622  
Old 10-30-2008, 10:36 PM
hooker53

Thats good to know. I knew with the mass and drag of this bird it wasn't going to be like slowing down a F-16. Ha. I guess some of the Shock flyers is just playing with crow and the other things to slow it down faster. The field I fly at is in the middle of a flat 170 acre field so I feel like I will have plenty of time to slow it down. I still will enjoy playing with the flaps. I have a Turbinator on a build table but will be the spring before it's done. This shock will be a good preamble for the Turbinator. Happy flying.

Hooker53
Old 10-30-2008, 11:46 PM
seflyer

I use full flaps on landing and speed is a brisk walk. on a vertical climb right at the top, apply full flaps and chop the throttle it will just almost come to a complete stop.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:27 AM
hooker53

Kevin, Do you have any Elev mixed in with your flaps? If so how much? Roy
Old 10-31-2008, 07:19 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Mr. DJ

I have it sitting on top of the 50 oz. tank. It's a Sullivan low profile oval tank.

I'll take a pic this weekend.

Bob
Old 10-31-2008, 07:22 AM
Meesh

Hooker,

You won't need flaps for take off. Mine has a PST J600R and it takes off in a bout 100 feet on grass.

Bob
Old 10-31-2008, 07:26 AM
Mr DJ

Many thanks, Bob...

Is the PST 600 equal to JC Super Bee @ 14lbs?

Mr DJ
Old 10-31-2008, 07:28 AM
Meesh

Yes, 14 lbs.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:54 AM
d_wheel

ORIGINAL: hooker53

Kevin. Do you have any Elev mixed in with your flaps? If so how much? Roy
We will see if Kevin agrees. On mine, the trailing edge of the elevator needs to go down down 1/16 inch with full flaps.

Later;

D.W.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:18 PM
georbeckha

I know on Mine with the P60 power about 1/8th or less is needed for full flap deployment with Takeoff flaps setting about half this or even less. I haven't measured mine yet rather I just adjusted it as needed until it doesn't balloon up when flaps are applied.

I have just 'upgraded' to the JetCat P70 so we'll have to see if this still holds true with a more rearward balance point and more get-up-and-go

George

ORIGINAL: d_wheel

ORIGINAL: hooker53

Kevin. Do you have any Elev mixed in with your flaps? If so how much? Roy
We will see if Kevin agrees. On mine, the trailing edge of the elevator needs to go down down 1/8 inch with full flaps.

Later;

D.W.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:28 PM
FL510
My Feedback: (8)

1/2 flaps will shorten the takeoff to about 25ft. with a P-80.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:27 PM
Mr DJ

Gents

Can one fly legally if Waiver paper is signed off while waiting for AMA to send it?

Mr DJ
Old 10-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Meesh

No, I went through the same thing a couple of weeks ago.

Got my waiver on Saturday (signed off) and had to fly on Sunday with the Buddy Box. It's not OfficiaL Untill the AMA Registers and Approves the application.

My buddy stood there on Sunday morning with his finger on the trainer switch.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:02 PM
seflyer

I will measure my elevator corrections when I get home this evening, 1/8 sounds about right though. I know some people are using crow, I tried it but did not see the need, it will fly so slow and has no tip stalling tendencies anyway so I did away with it. it certainly does not hurt anything though, so I guess it is up to personal preference,.

Kevin
Old 10-31-2008, 02:11 PM
d_wheel

ORIGINAL: Mr DJ

Gents

Can one fly legally if Waiver paper is signed off while waiting for AMA to send it?

Mr DJ
No. But you can get your waiver number quickly if you do it right. A friend of mine faxed mine to AMA early on a Wednesday. I called them about noon on Friday, and the young lady said that they hadn't processed it yet, but asked for my phone number. About an hour later she called me back with the waiver number. With that I flew Friday evening. Only took 2 days to get it!

Later;

D.W.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Mr DJ

Now that's what I'm talking about, D.W... Thank you as well, Bob...

Gents, ya'll wish me luck, I test Saturday around noon time...

Gerry, Jed, All - thanks for all your help. I'll keep you posted...

Mr DJ
Old 11-01-2008, 08:42 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

Flew the Shock Jet Today! Put 4 flights on The Falcon is GREAT in it!!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Mr DJ

I flew my puppy, but no Waiver. Not because of flying skills; after the first flight for trimming, etc, the engine wouldn’t hold starts afterwards…

It would reach 40+ RPMs and just cut off, and the data terminal would read: Ready. My CD and a few other seasoned pilots couldn’t figure it out.

Also, the heat sensor just couldn’t be right; that bad boy kept reading 400C, 300C, 100C 20 minutes after the engine was off. Even with my blower, it never got below 32C.

My CD thinks there’s a problem with Futaba’s 2.4 receiver and the ECU. There’s a guy at that field had the same freakin’ problem; he placed some device between them – maybe on the throttle lead that solved the problem. He wasn’t there, so I will have to contact him later. I will ask the question in the Futaba 12Z forum.

Anyways, my CD took it up then passed her to me. I just flew her around at half throttle for two minutes maybe and landed her. Good thing, for the tank was completely empty and the bubble tank was half full.

My CD suggested I try starting it with my JR 9303 and see what happens – if no problems, then it’s the Futaba receiver. If it still happens, then send it Eric. BTW, we called Eric while the problem was happening. We tried recalibrating the thermo parameters in order to reduce the high temp readings on the terminal. It didn’t work.

I need to reduce travel both full and duel rates on my ailerons – that puppy was sensitive like a mother. Low rates was a bit better. I will make my current low rate the high rate and make a new low rate half of that.

The Bee is set at 180K; mine reached nearly 182K on the terminal – must have been the added oil above the 2.5 percent that I used to cushion of the bearings

Now check this: the freakin’ starter pipe I bought had a sleeve inside – a double wall if you will. That mother melted it like butter and it collapsed inside and the next thing we heard was BOOM. The freakin’ pipe blew backwards, the covering caught on fire, the wires were singed, some of the bottom wood burned away. It was freakin awesome That same scenario happened a few times but not so intense. We finally move the pipe aside and she fired right up – fired right freakin’ up. So while she was running, I installed the wings and off she flew. Landed her on half flaps; brakes worked fine.

But as I said, after that flight, she wouldn’t restart – well, she’d start, but once it hit 40K RPMs, she’d shut down so fast; and the self cooling phase never kicked in – good thing I purchased that blower.

So, either the Futaba’s 2.4 receiver (TBM flies with JR’s 2.4 with no problems) or there’s a problem with the fuel pump (but it worked just fine when detached for priming) or the ECU is faulty. I may just send it to Eric for a look-see.

Next time up, that freakin’ Waiver is mine

Mr DJ
Old 11-01-2008, 09:49 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

Sounds like yhe ECU battery is low. What did the ECU say when it quit?? What Battery are you using?? Let me know, BEFORE you send it back. Gerry
Old 11-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Mr DJ

Gerry

I have a TBM (Framco) 5600 7.4 Li Ion. We checked it, it was pumppin' out 8 with no load, 7.X with a load.

I have the same separate batt for my servos.

Thanks...

Mr DJ
Old 11-02-2008, 08:48 AM
d_wheel

ORIGINAL: Mr DJ

My CD thinks there’s a problem with Futaba’s 2.4 receiver and the ECU. There’s a guy at that field had the same freakin’ problem; he placed some device between them – maybe on the throttle lead that solved the problem. He wasn’t there, so I will have to contact him later. I will ask the question in the Futaba 12Z forum.
Not saying it isn't the receiver, but I have at least 20 flights on mine with a Superbee and Futaba 2.4 receiver with no problems at all.

Later;

D.W.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Meesh

I've got about 18 flights on mine with FUTABA 2.4 ans a PST J600R. No problems.

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.