Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boomerang Nano!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boomerang Nano!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:58 PM
snatch-it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Boomerang Nano!!!

roll on sunday! its gonna get a good few more flights under its belt,
just counting down the hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Stobe777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 80 SE is by far the quietest turbine I´ve ever seen.

TP.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:38 AM
leopaul

With my Nano and Superbee, timer is set at 5 mins. and i land with UAT full... Mine with my onboard Eagletree speed module, was clocked at 234kmh.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:49 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: leopaul

With my Nano and Superbee, timer is set at 5 mins. and i land with UAT full... Mine with my onboard Eagletree speed module, was clocked at 234kmh.
Ya.. we got 157 mph at Route 66 in a slight dive. about the same. It would take some serious cleanup to get it any faster.

My elan seemed a little faster but not much I agree. It was clocked at 165 once. All in All, I liked the elan better, no offense, I kick myself for selling it. I flew it with a super sport, and it would take off in 100 feet or so. This one takes actually a little longer but not much. I think the gear is set back slightly more because it wont wheelie as well, but that does help it from bouncing. I tried moving the CG back to where it would sit on the booms and it would hunt in pitch. I ended up moving the CG forward again to 11 inches. I felt that even 10.5 was too aft. I flew mine and then saw one with 11 inch CG fly and you could see the diff, so we added a few ounces forward by using a bigger turbine batt. Now that I have the new tank, I was planning to try again moving it back to 10.75 inches by going back to the original battery.

Im pretty impressed with this little bird at 150 using the wren 70 homebuilt motor. Well, kinda homebuilt. we built it at Wren USA. I had the master over my shoulder. When Ron dynamically balanced it with the new bearings, it woke up and runs awesome. What a super combination. I think the 14lb class of motors really make this thing fun.

OK, that said, I bet the thing with the 80-100N smallblock motors is just crazy. I wish I hadn't sold my supersport!![:@] The wren 100 is coming out soon. who is going to be the first?? ITs going to be the same size as the wren 70.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:02 AM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: Stobe777

The 80 SE is by far the quietest turbine I´ve ever seen.

TP.
The motors equipped with a shock cone tend to run quieter anyway. When it was added to the Wren 160, it quieted it down alot. I noticed the Wren 120 is very quiet as well. I think the quietest setup I have heard though is saddlers super bandit with a 120 fully enclosed. maybe thats because it going so fast..
Old 09-26-2010, 01:26 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont't know what you call a shock cone, but if you mean the divergent cone that used to be on the inside of the efflux of the P80 that is no longer on the P80SE, the newer P80SE has a cone similar to the 120SX if does not protrude beyond the end of the efflux anymore, forgive me if we are talking about the same thing, but a shock cone does not mean anything to me???

Mike

EDIT: and Wren turbines are only just a bit less noisy than the EvoJet/Hammer/Black Mamba turbines, and they are noisy.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:05 PM
gooseF22

Its the new design like the P120 has. Wren 160 is similar to that
Old 09-27-2010, 05:30 PM
julian46

so how weak is the wire gear? - is it completely useless - or ok if you're careful?

also has anyone found a set of fixed gear stronger than the included wireset?
(with trailing links etc - but fixed)
Old 09-27-2010, 05:39 PM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: julian46

so how weak is the wire gear? - is it completely useless - or ok if you're careful?

My opinion...[:@]

Todds gear dropped in easier than any other gear install I have ever done. A few slices with a knife and scissors, and a little trim on the front. entire job was 2 hours start to finish. its worth the money. I only used one air tank though. the brake goes on the down elevator line.

There are a few guys that have bent wire. but the mount system isn't very good either. And if you upgrade later you will have to rebalance and move stuff from the nose back, of which there is little room.

You know, I bet you could use electric retracts from a 60-90 size plane and make them work, just would have to figure out brake setup..

For me it was much easier to drop in the trailing link system from todd. This is a quick build bird for sure..good luck

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFLG430
something like this..

Old 09-27-2010, 05:45 PM
cavandish

The wire legs are fine if you're careful, just unsuitable for the novice pilot
Old 09-27-2010, 05:46 PM
snatch-it

im still useing the wire legs that is supplied in the kit,
the wooden blocks are a bit naff and break apart when screws are used. i replaced them and never had a problem.
i fly from a grass field thats used for football matches and cricket, therefor it aint smooth.
it lands gently and slow enough not to do damage!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:52 PM
gooseF22

hey look here. I just saw this for anyone wanting a nano.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=678717
Old 09-27-2010, 06:29 PM
crashgoodly

the gear isn't that bad but the blocks aren't up to snuff. i used a pair of struts on the mains and still use the wire nose gear.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:45 PM
julian46

thanks for the info

what is the biggest motor - anyone has successfully flown in the Nano?

Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 PM
julian46

Anyone have experience with a JetCentral Rabbit (max rpm dialed down)in a Nano?

Old 10-03-2010, 08:02 AM
gruntled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't recall anyone putting a rabbit in. The engine mounts would have to be trimmed back pretty far to fit anything larger than the bee.

I can give you the distance between the mounts if you need it.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 AM
julian46

thanks

from the JCwebsite - diameter on the bee is 80mm - rabbit is 91mm

looks like the bee is a better fit (and more suitable power class) all round

Old 10-03-2010, 10:59 AM
gooseF22

thanks

from the JC website - diameter on the bee is 80mm - rabbit is 91mm

looks like the bee is a better fit (and more suitable power class) all round

guys are putting the Wren 54/SS in it. thats a 89mm case. I had to trim the mount sides just a bit and trim the mounts. Its the weight that would get you. I dont know how much a rabbit weighs, but I bet it would fit. I had to put 18 oz worth of batteries up in the nose area. 2 A123's and a 6 ounce turbine bat plus adding 3 oz lead. If I had moved the air trap and pump further forward, would have been less.. next time..

My mount pics are a few pages back. Since jets are so expensive, you just have to fly what you have. BUT.. if I had a rabbit and wanted a boomerang, if you afford it, move up to the Elan. Its a perfect match for the rabbit. I flew one on a super sport at 18lb and it was light and fun, but still did 160mph. I would be worried at 19lb, breaking the nano. the nose isn't that strong, nor is the booms.

I saw one with a Bee and it went good, much like my wren 70..

If you already have the Nano and dont have a motor, then maybe consider the wren 75(coming soon), a used or new wren 70, or used Super sport, and as in all fairness, the super bee)
Old 10-03-2010, 11:06 AM
gooseF22

thanks for the info

what is the biggest motor - anyone has successfully flown in the Nano?

I saw a Ram in one awhile back. it was tight. I think it was a 500. It looked like it flew heavy.. and it had the big gas tank and nickle batts stuffed in the nose and nose well.

Keep it light within reason if able. Its definitely faster than the sprint. we got 150 out of it at Route 66 with the wren 70. Als nano still did 140 with a P60 in it. there is a power diff, but not alot until vertical. The 70 will take it vertical right after takeoff, so I think any 15lb motor would do that too with the 50oz tank, when I switched to the 80oz tank, it wont go vertical right after takeoff any more. It takes one lap to get lighter, but I like having 6 min flight time. It has no problem getting off grass even heavier.

my observations for what its worth...

Old 11-24-2010, 01:29 AM
PHague80

I am interested at to the flying characteristics of the Nano as compared to the Baby (Intro). I learned jets on a Baby Boomer but after a crash my baby is no more! The turbine, a Jetcat P-60 and the associated parts and avionics came through ok but the airframe was a complete write off.

I'm trying to determine if its better to use the P-60 in a Nano or get a Sprint and get a P-80 for it. I'd rather, for cost sake, stick with the wonderful P-60 I have but I have some misgivings about the Nano.

The Baby (Intro) was listed at 17 lbs on the Boomerang Jets website while the Nano is listed at 13. Are these numbers correct? I thought the Baby (Intro) handled very well at about the 15-17lbs I was flying at. Will the Nano at 13 handle the same as the Baby (Intro)?

Compared to the Baby (Intro) does the shorter wings of the Nano have an effect on landing speed? Does the shorter wing span have any effect on stall speed and stall characteristics?

I had wire landing gear on my Baby (Intro) but I'd like to use the Dreamworks RC trailing link landing gear instead. How do these gear fit into the model? Are there any problems with opeartions of the gear after a few flights? How much weight does this gear add to to model?

I do realize that I've asked quite a bit here but I've got to do my due diligence. I would rather not pay the cost of buying a P-70/80 I want to make sure what I end up getting will fly like the Baby (Intro) that I had and loved so much!

Thanks so much

Peter in Virginia
Old 11-24-2010, 04:29 AM
cavandish

I had a baby with hundreds of flights. my Nano has about 150 on it. landing speed with your turbine will be less than slow. The nano is a great airframe. People who have crashed it into the ground say that it is not as strong as the baby/intro don't buy into this (unless prehaps if you intend crashing !) mine has suffered a reasonable amount of abuse, with no ill effect. modifications are not required. My only complaint is that it is film covered, but heh, I do not expect any more for the price. A composite nano with slighly smoother lines, would be an absolute winner in my book.

You would need to work very hard to stall the Nano with a 60 size turbine

The dreamworks gear works well, and is good quality, the only problem I have had is with the pivot screws coming undone, this is easily cured with thread locker.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:36 AM
gruntled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: PHague80

I am interested at to the flying characteristics of the Nano as compared to the Baby (Intro). I learned jets on a Baby Boomer but after a crash my baby is no more! The turbine, a Jetcat P-60 and the associated parts and avionics came through ok but the airframe was a complete write off.

I'm trying to determine if its better to use the P-60 in a Nano or get a Sprint and get a P-80 for it. I'd rather, for cost sake, stick with the wonderful P-60 I have but I have some misgivings about the Nano.

The Baby (Intro) was listed at 17 lbs on the Boomerang Jets website while the Nano is listed at 13. Are these numbers correct? I thought the Baby (Intro) handled very well at about the 15-17lbs I was flying at. Will the Nano at 13 handle the same as the Baby (Intro)?

Compared to the Baby (Intro) does the shorter wings of the Nano have an effect on landing speed? Does the shorter wing span have any effect on stall speed and stall characteristics?

I had wire landing gear on my Baby (Intro) but I'd like to use the Dreamworks RC trailing link landing gear instead. How do these gear fit into the model? Are there any problems with opeartions of the gear after a few flights? How much weight does this gear add to to model?

I do realize that I've asked quite a bit here but I've got to do my due diligence. I would rather not pay the cost of buying a P-70/80 I want to make sure what I end up getting will fly like the Baby (Intro) that I had and loved so much!

Thanks so much

Peter in Virginia
Peter - if you end up buying the Navy scheme Nano, I have a bunch of spare airframe parts and complete wing/boom/tail bag set that I will make you a heck of a deal on - and I could meet you local! It is always good to have back-ups.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:24 PM
gooseF22

I think the nano flies about the same as the sprint/baby. Its faster than the baby, but slows down the same. I think the gear is set a little further back so it sticks better. It flies great. I have Dreamworks gear.. the mains fit fine. just have to cut the extensions off the tubs holding the tires.. easy to do with scissors. ON the NG, it drops right in ,but you have to cut the hatch on the bottom mostly away in the front, but again, the gear drops right in. we can send pics.. the gear is EXCELLENT.. I dropped it to one tank, wired the brakes into the down side, and used a slightly larger tank...

THe nano requires nose weight for the average turbine, as it was designed around the wren44. I have a Wren70 in mine and it goes ballistic with that. A p60 pushes it around just fine if you keep it light.. I used JR821 servos on everything except the elevator(metal) for reliability more than anything.. the 50oz tank on the smaller motors is plenty.. on the larger motors, I am using the 80 oz tank... Itsl almost too much...

I dont think the construction is as tough, but there are things you can do to beef it up. biggest thing is to dilute epoxy and pain the interior balsa with it, especially around the cockpit area. I feel the booms are a little too lightly constructed and my first hard landing broke the booms but they were really easy to repair. I just wrapped the repair in .5oz fibercloth and sanded, then recovered. worked fine..

The nano is a great everyday plane. I like it as a daily beater.. it just sits in the car and I take it out and bang out a couple flights on open flight night at the club. something I never did with other planes. I keep it put together except for the outer wings..

Overall I like the plane pretty well. Not as well as the Elan ,but its a great beater/first plane to learn on and to keep current... we clocked mine at 153mph with the wren 70, and landing at 23mph full flap. Im guessing the P60 pushes Big Al's it about 140
Old 11-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

My Intro with a P60 weighs 15lb with fixed gear, empty, very short take off and endless vertical, much better than the sprint with a P60, if you want to buy new then P60 for the Nano and P70/80 for the sprint
Old 11-26-2010, 08:18 PM
gooseF22

The nano is built around the Wren 44 or P60 motors, however, the Wren 54 series motors only weigh 1/2lb more than the 44 and that thrust class 54 goes all the way to the wren 100 at 20lb. my motor hits 14.5lb thrust, and is ballistic.. the supersport 18 is crazy with it. I could imagine a wren 100 in it, wow that would be scary, and I think you would have to watch overspeeding it. I have run the wren 70 side by side with the P60 and wren is a little more lively in the same setup.. it will out vertical the P60 in this setup just a bit, but either power plant is fine. I actually think the 44 is not enough for this bird if you want to have a verticle fest, but it will fly it just fine. So stick with the wren 54 series or P60. Of course I'm partial to the wren..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.