Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boomerang Nano!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boomerang Nano!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 05:39 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Boomerang Nano!!!

Goose

Was that a P60 or P60SE that you compared?

Mike
Old 11-27-2010, 05:51 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think there is any performance difference in the P60/P60SE Mike, only better throttle response/less lag. One of the guys I fly with has a P60SE in his sprint and it is not as good as my intro with an older P60.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:29 AM
BaldEagel

Now that is interesting, what is the difference between them that you can notice?

Mike
Old 11-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Xairflyer

My P60 intro is fixed gear and 15lb empty his P60SE sprint is fitted with retracts and 16lb, his takes at least twice the distance of mine to take off, I would have better vertical as well with the less weight. He is a bit quicker on a flat out pass due to the clean lines of no gear hanging down.
We came to the conclusion that the sprint was actually more draggier due to the wider fuselage and big air intakes, it would seem the Sprint is better with a P80 size than the Intro was. He has now just removed the P60 and fitted a P80 as it really was short take off's he wanted for the Grass strips we fly from.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:29 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Goose

Was that a P60 or P60SE that you compared?

Mike
I dont remember seeing the checkboard on the intake but it might have been there.. not sure.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:21 PM
BaldEagel

Xairflyer

Do you use flap on take off, I'v found it decrease's the take off run considerably almost half the distance.

Mike
Old 11-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Xairflyer

Yes I have done but found it was not needed, I can get away fairly short. I have some video, need to get it off the mini disk and onto youtube.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi guys,

Can we try and stay with the Nano here?

Cheers

Jan
Old 11-28-2010, 07:30 AM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: Springbok Flyer

Hi guys,

Can we try and stay with the Nano here?

Cheers

Jan
I am sorry if you feel we went of thread, but it is relevant to the question asked by PHague80
Old 11-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Stig Andersen

Got myself an early Christmas present from Al's Hobbies. Hope to fly it next weekend.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:07 PM
cavandish

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

I think the nano flies about the same as the sprint/baby. Its faster than the baby, but slows down the same. I think the gear is set a little further back so it sticks better. It flies great. I have Dreamworks gear.. the mains fit fine. just have to cut the extensions off the tubs holding the tires.. easy to do with scissors. ON the NG, it drops right in ,but you have to cut the hatch on the bottom mostly away in the front, but again, the gear drops right in. we can send pics.. the gear is EXCELLENT.. I dropped it to one tank, wired the brakes into the down side, and used a slightly larger tank...

THe nano requires nose weight for the average turbine, as it was designed around the wren44. I have a Wren70 in mine and it goes ballistic with that. A p60 pushes it around just fine if you keep it light.. I used JR821 servos on everything except the elevator(metal) for reliability more than anything.. the 50oz tank on the smaller motors is plenty.. on the larger motors, I am using the 80 oz tank... Itsl almost too much...

I dont think the construction is as tough, but there are things you can do to beef it up. biggest thing is to dilute epoxy and pain the interior balsa with it, especially around the cockpit area. I feel the booms are a little too lightly constructed and my first hard landing broke the booms but they were really easy to repair. I just wrapped the repair in .5oz fibercloth and sanded, then recovered. worked fine..

The nano is a great everyday plane. I like it as a daily beater.. it just sits in the car and I take it out and bang out a couple flights on open flight night at the club. something I never did with other planes. I keep it put together except for the outer wings..

Overall I like the plane pretty well. Not as well as the Elan ,but its a great beater/first plane to learn on and to keep current... we clocked mine at 153mph with the wren 70, and landing at 23mph full flap. Im guessing the P60 pushes Big Al's it about 140
\
regarding Nose weight in the Nano

I have run a Wren54 and 70 in mine without nose weight, my battery's are all around the C of G, the trick is to mount your bubble trap half way between the fuel tank and 1st bulkhead (and not run out of fuel!) My balance point is about 3/4 back from recommended, it fly’s really well like this if you do not exceed the recommended throw rates. Top speed via on board GPS was 168MPH with the 54, this was in level flight, following a shallow dive.

edit ecu pack is strapped on top of the tank, 2 five cell rx packs are just forward of the tank
Old 11-28-2010, 10:23 PM
G-ROOKIE
My Feedback: (51)

Hi Guys.
Just letting you all know that a couple of guy's in my club are using E-flite 60-120 size electric Tricycle retracts on the Nano.
They work really well !!!!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFLG430
Old 11-28-2010, 10:58 PM
john4648
My Feedback: (24)

Interesting electric retracts. How are they holding up for them? How many flights? Flying off turf or hard surface? What are they doing for wheels and brakes?
Thanks
John
Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 AM
JetGirl

Hi Everyone:

Just wanted to tell you about our YEAR END SUPER SPECIAL ON THE NANO...

Please go to our website at www.boomerangjets.com

Everyone should have a Nano, they're great for your health!!!!

Give me a call at 972/991-1499

All the Best
Patricia
Boomerang Jets USA
Old 12-22-2010, 05:43 AM
larryfl1
My Feedback: (3)

hey everyone... i am about to finally get my boomerang nano...

turbine question... i would like to get something that will give me other uses in the future..also want excellent performance...

with that said...whats everyones thoughts...pros/cons of the following turbines in the nano

wren 75
superbee II
rabit

thanks for the help

Larry
Old 12-22-2010, 05:53 AM
BaldEagel

All the opinions you will get will be biased towards whatever the poster uses, My advise is to go with whatever is being flown succesfully in your area or club, there is no substitute for hands on use.

Mike
Old 12-22-2010, 05:59 AM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

All the opinions you will get will be biased towards whatever the poster uses, My advise is to go with whatever is being flown succesfully in your area or club, there is no substitute for hands on use.

Mike
Although Im partial to the wrens. thats solid advice if you are new to turbines.. I will add that you should go with something you can easily get serviced. that would and did narrow it down to just a few brands backin the day for me.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:08 AM
larryfl1

I am leaning towards the superbee II

it has 1 pound less thrust then the wren 75, will i even notice that difference?

I think the weight on the superbee is better and the burn rate is a little lower...

and people locally use both them and jetcats regularly.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:12 AM
gooseF22

Larry,
at
15lb of thrust, the Nano has excellent thrust to weight even with the big tank. its about 1:1 with the 80oz tank. with the 50oz tank you can go vertical right after takeoff. I havent seen one fly with a superbee but I expect its about the same as with a hot P60, so if thats true, its light but not as hot..

with a rabbit, it would be stupid good power.. guys are flying it with a wren super sport, which is about the same thrust. thats enough thrust to worry about breaking things in my opinion, but it would be fun. I sold a super sport last year, and if I had it back, it would be in my nano though.. This Wren 70 in mine was a used motor that RB balanced, and I put bearings in, so it ran perfectly..couldnt pass it up..

I dont think the top end would be much better but it would go up like a bat outta he!!..

When you buy a turbine, you should also consider that the turbine will probably power a few more planes, so consider that in the small turbines.. think about what you would plane you would get next if you master the one you have and want something else.
aThe 15lb turbines can power other trainers, and small and med size planes. I have seen a wren 70 in a BVM bandit thought, and it did good, along with a TAM F-16. I have seen the Rabbit in all kinds of planes up to about 25lb.., and in all fairness, it does well.

By the way, if you like the Wren, Ron has a 100N small wren now, its a solid over 20lb thrust on the small supersport shell. That would also be a good all around engine.. it could power anything small up thru an Elan or Flash, viper, bandit,...etc... its the same price as the super sport was, and it comes with the new Xicoy ECU and that ecu is outstanding. I got to test it.. Its a direct upgrade from the FAdec with no additional plugs or mods.. I really like that new ECU on the small motors. It has alot of the same programming as with the PRojet ecu.. Starts wonderfully.. I got to do the fuel consumption runs on the first couple.. He services everything in Indiana.. Its the same dimensions as the 70 and 75, same weight too

Old 12-22-2010, 06:19 AM
larryfl1

that was my thoughts around the rabbit...

can i fit the rabbit and throttle it down slightly?

this way i have a great engine for anything else in the future???

will the extra weight of the rabbit make any difference? I would like to use the larger tank also..

Old 12-22-2010, 06:25 AM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: larryfl1

that was my thoughts around the rabbit...

can i fit the rabbit and throttle it down slightly?

this way i have a great engine for anything else in the future???

will the extra weight of the rabbit make any difference? I would like to use the larger tank also..

Wren is 89mm wide rabbit is 92mm. It will be tight. I had to sand the mounts on the wren. THe weight is close to the same, within a couple of ounces.. So, Im not sure if it will fit, maybe someone else has fit a rabbit.. I have only fit the wren...sorry
Old 12-22-2010, 06:27 AM
BaldEagel

If this is your first tubine, then seriously consider the start options, gas has been used for a long time to start turbines, but it is on the way out as most manufactures are changing or have changed to Kero start, its easier, less gear to carry around, and is the way forward, and if you ever want to sell and upgrade it will be easier to sell on.

I know I will be flamed for the above as all the Gas users come on and say they don't have a problem with gas starts and Kero starts are unreliable, but take into account that most of the major manufactures are changing to internal ceramic plugs for Kero start and they don't do that to make their products unreliable.

I am biased towards JetCat and would recommend them to anyone starting out, as they just run straight out of the box without any problems, they also have the facility within the ECU to restrict top speed of the airframe without dialing down the maximum thrust through a Pitot connection, this is a major bonus if you are contemplating a oversize turbine in a small airframe, but do take note of the residue thrust at tick over, some airframes will not come down without a very low residue thrust level, bigger the turbine the more residue thrust.

Mike
Old 12-22-2010, 06:36 AM
gooseF22

The flap on the nano is pretty draggy, I think it could handle 1lb of residual.. my guess...

I cannot argue anything Mike is saying. Im one of the guys that still prefers propane, but Wren is also moving towards the kero and is and will be offering both. With the Xicoy and Projet Ecus, you can have either, same as Jetcat...dont know about JC.. I also prefer an external plug no matter which.. my preference is based on being comfortable tearing one down in my camper at the field though.

I do like it when a motor allows you to convert it yourself. I have seen a few times when issues with the kero start required a conversion back to propane. I have seen some guys able to do it in the field.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:38 AM
BaldEagel

Also consider the JetMunt Merlin 90 the Merlin is 90mm wide, I have one in a Sprint and its an excellent internal start Kero turbine, service from Gaspar is exemplorary, but its a small but, but a but it is, the EGC and sensor cables are permenatly attached to the turbine, this prevents any quick change to another airframe you may wish to do, I do not know if the Rabbit and Wren are the same, perhaps gooseF22 will confirm.

Mike
Old 12-22-2010, 06:45 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

I do like it when a motor allows you to convert it yourself. I have seen a few times when issues with the kero start required a conversion back to propane. I have seen some guys able to do it in the field.
I perfer to not have to strip down and rebuild at all LOL, I prefer to fly rather than fiddle with the turbine every time I go to the field, never had a problem with my JetCat or Merlin and in truth never seen any problems either, when JetCat first brought out the external Kero start they did have problems with early burn outs, but that has been addressed on the latest version that's been out for about 18 months too 2 years now, have not seen one post on this version having any problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.