Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Comp Arf Flash. Help.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Comp Arf Flash. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 04:49 AM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comp Arf Flash. Help.

Hi Guys,

Just started building my Flash and the build is smooth so far. I do not plan to fit the bypass as i plan to install the new wren 160 in there.
My question for those who are flying without the bypass is whether they have installed the inlet joiner up to the engine, or is there no use for the inlet joiner to be installed, and the pre installed intakes are good enough for a non bypass set up.
Thanks.
Best regards

Chaitanya.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 736 Likes on 532 Posts
Default RE: Comp Arf Flash. Help.

Chaitanya

I would install the complete ducting! Less chance of fuselage damage with a fire, engine will be cooler.

Regards

Dave

I don't know anyone since the prototypes who didn't use the ducting
Old 01-02-2009, 09:56 AM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chaitana:

I flew my Flash with the Falcon and then the Super Eagle. Yes, use the ducting which leads to the bypass. However, in all tests we performed, the turbine (both) acutally performed better and ran COOLER with the bypass cover left off. Those inlets are small so the benefit of the duct work is it directs ALL incoming air to the turbine.

The benefit of leaving the bypass cover off, is the turbine gets any excess air which enters through the cockpit and nose gear area (yes even with the door) and finds its way to the turbine. Additionally, during cool down, the turbine cools down quicker and does not build up heat when the auto cool stops. Last, the pressure area created at the nozzle / pipe entrance is enhanced by additional air which results in lower pipe temps and a cooler fuselage. The protection from fire damage should you have a hot start,is lost.

Last, please do cut the NACA inlets in the bottom of the fuse as suggested. Again, really helps with cooling the pipe and keeping the fuse cooler.

Best regards,
Eric Clapp
Old 01-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

I used only the upper bypass duct, with no inlet ducting. I did this because I put smoke in my Flash and that's the only place to put smoke tanks. My Flash flys fine like this, and actually seems to be faster than the other 2 Flashes I fly with that use the full ducting.

Jim
Old 01-02-2009, 10:49 AM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

I Use this configuration in my Flash with a JetCat Titan SE... Works great!! Hill Climbing at its best. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69953.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1101498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84054.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1101499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45446.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1101500  
Old 01-02-2009, 11:35 AM
JetCatJimmy

In Arizona, it's best to NOT run with the bypass due to heat buildup. The ducting wasn't allowing enough blow-by air around the turbine to adequately cool it. I had the full bypass set up and later pulled it out except for the upper shield that the turbine sits under when the fuse is right side up. I also laid ceramic blanket down the top side of the rear of the fuse over the pipe to reduce heating there as well. Of course, we get temps in the 110's regularly here, so we need to make considerations with our planes around that, but the ceramic blanket (BVM) worked wonders over the thrust tube. I highly recommend that while you're still in the build phase. It was a pain to undo all the work to get it in there afterward.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-03-2009, 04:26 AM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Guys for all the help. I will go with Erics setup of installing the inlet joiner up to the turbine but not installing the carbon bypass.
In Mumbai the temps are in the mid 30 degrees C, so i would be careful of heat build up in a full bypass setup after shutdown.
Eric i have already made the naca ducts in the bottom of the fuse. Jimmy i have coated the rear fuse with BVM heat shield instead of the ceramic cloth.

Best regards
Chaitanya.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:34 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts