Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

UP2 Valve problem

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

UP2 Valve problem

Old 04-13-2009, 12:30 AM
yf222000
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UP2 Valve problem

Hi guys.

Does anyone ever see this issue with UP2 valve? I had left it alone for somewhat a long while without usage.
I had recently hooked it back up and found that, when the gear up was actuated, the gears seems to have very little
reaction to the air pressure from the "In" line. I have check for leaks in the cylinder and there was none. I really think the o rings on the valve's spool has shrunk and air is leaking between the ring, since i have not used it for a long while. Could this be fix by re-lubricating those o rings with the Dow Corning#55 lube? Thanks gents. Happy Easter!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:38 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: UP2 Valve problem

Have you checked the gear cylinders themselves to see if they are gummed up or binding at all? They could be sticking themselves. Can you hear air leaking or passing through the valve itself or is the gear just not moving and there is no noticable hissing sound?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:02 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of things can be at play here and it is rarely the valve. I can tell you that I think Ultra Precision is an outstanding company. I own 9 of these valves. I have had a few minor problems with valves and they always get me on the right track fast. If the valve ever needs repair it is done for FREE for LIFE. I damaged one of the valves during the F-5E crash so I called them to order the replacement parts and asked if they were ready to take my credit card info. Their reply was "Oh no there is no charge"!! I said but The jet crashed this is not your fault and they replied that they guarantee their product for life even if you broke it!! I just can’t say enough about the product or the unequalled customer service and product support. Give them a call and they will walk you through a diagnosis. I am a customer for life!!
Old 04-13-2009, 04:39 PM
ianober

I agree Dom, everytime I have used a UP2 valve it has worked flawlessly right out of the bag. The only problems I ever hear about these valves is the sequence timing is wrong and that is because the user had fiddled with the speed needles. They are adjusted from the factory and are ready to go, install and use!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MaJ. Woody

Lots of things can be at play here and it is rarely the valve. I can tell you that I think Ultra Precision is an outstanding company. I own 9 of these valves. I have had a few minor problems with valves and they always get me on the right track fast. If the valve ever needs repair it is done for FREE for LIFE. I damaged one of the valves during the F-5E crash so I called them to order the replacement parts and asked if they were ready to take my credit card info. Their reply was "Oh no there is no charge"!! I said but The jet crashed this is not your fault and they replied that they guarantee their product for life even if you broke it!! I just can’t say enough about the product or the unequalled customer service and product support. Give them a call and they will walk you through a diagnosis. I am a customer for life!!
Same experience here - he (Phil ?) offered to repair a crash damaged valve free of charge, or to send me the nipples etc for me to repair it myself.

There's customer service, and then there's 'above & beyond'. No question which of the two U.P. fits in.

I agree with the previous posts - suspect the valve last, and the gear first.

Gordon
Old 04-13-2009, 07:46 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

while UP valves are being talked about, has any body got a link to online instructions for use of a UP-3 valve?
Old 04-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: mongo

while UP valves are being talked about, has any body got a link to online instructions for use of a UP-3 valve?
What level of instrictions do you need ? The UP site shows the connection diagram etc, in case that's enough. http://www.up-1.com/upthree.html

Edit: Actually - I just noticed there's also an "instructions" link on the left of that page, that has the written info too, so hopefully that's enough.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:44 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

those would be just what i needed.
thank you sir.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Gordon Mc

No prob's - you're very welcome.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a problem with an 11 year old UP2. In cold weather, the internal spool valve that shifts (after the doors are open) would stick. I opened it up, lubed it, but figured I nicked an O-ring. I called Phil and he asked me to send it back to make sure it worked perfectly and he'd replace the O-rings. No problem, and I bought another one to use while it's away. I have these valves in all my jets. Phil provides great service and has an excellent product.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:39 AM
yf222000
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Ian.
Yes, i have check individual retract and there wasn't any leaks at all. I am beginning to think that because i have not used it in a long time and because it was kept out in the garage,
the o rings has dried out and shrunk. With that said, if i yank out the one of the air line while the spool is in the retract position, the gear goes up as normal. If i plug the air line back, nothing. From the look of it, seems like the o rings that separate the up and down nipples leaks and there is air pressure in both up and down nipples at the same time. I might have to send it back for o rings replacement. Thanks for all the tips gents.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:10 AM
ianober

Definitely send it back and have it serviced, the peace of mind will be worth it and the price is right!! FREE
Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Phil is a super nice guy! I met him many years ago when I and my family were visiting Niagra falls. He lived in Ontairo Canada at the time. I went to pick up the very first UP2 Valve ever sold. A result of a conversation about what else the UP2 could do lead to the UP3 not long after. I always recommend his valves as I think they are superior to the rest.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:39 PM
Redtailpilot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default UP2 and Tricycle Gear

Sorry for the rookie question, but I see where the UP2 Valve is set up for two struts (main gear). My question is how do you connect the nose gear retract to the system? Do you use a T-fitting to run an up and down line, if so, how and where do you run a T-fitting into one of the set of strut valves. Hope I am making sense guys. Thanks for your help. Chic
Old 05-04-2021, 06:07 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you use a T-fitting to run an up and down line
Yes. Run one Up strut air line to the nose retract and then one to the mains. Install a tee back near the mains. Do the same for the Down strut airlines.
Depending on the number of gear doors, you may have to use Tees there also.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:18 AM
Redtailpilot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank You for the response. Chic