Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster Wheel Leaking

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster Wheel Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:31 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skymaster Wheel Leaking

I have a set of L39 tires that both leak around the junction of the tire and the rim.

Before I start taking things apart, I would like to get some input from any of you that have had this problem and know the fix.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:52 AM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Default RE: Skymaster Wheel Leaking

Hi Keith. I had that problem with my Skymaster F-15. I pulled the wheels off, cleaned everything very well and re-installed. There was some sort of leak between the brake and wheel hub but once cleaned it work perfect...again. Do you mean the actual tire is leaking air?

SM
Old 08-12-2009, 02:56 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

take them apart. clean everythink good and put them again together.dont over fill with air
Old 08-12-2009, 06:04 AM
pilott28

ORIGINAL: smaze17

Hi Keith. I had that problem with my Skymaster F-15. I pulled the wheels off, cleaned everything very well and re-installed. There was some sort of leak between the brake and wheel hub but once cleaned it work perfect...again. Do you mean the actual tire is leaking air?

SM
This is a friend's kit that has been sitting a while. It almost looks to me like the tire has aged and cracked right around the point where it comes in contact with the rims, but I can't tell for sure.

Sounds like I will need to take them apart tonight.

Anyone ever filled them with the expanding foam to get away from the leak problem?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:42 AM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keith,

The Skymaster wheels have an O ring in a shallow groove that seals the 2 wheel halves. If the wheel has ever been pulled apart to release air, there is a good possibility that during re-assembly the O ring was not seated in the groove and was pinched. It doesn't take much to damage the O rings to the point where there will be an air leak. I do not know the wheel size that you're working with but the O ring size for the F-4 is 1mm x 50mm.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 PM
pilott28

Thanks Mike. I am going to pull them apart tomorrow and take a look.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:05 PM
f106jax

Keith,

Will you be making it to Super Jets South? It would be good to see you again.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Likai

Hello Keith:

If the leaking is from the junction of the tire and the rim, the problem must be caused by damaged tire rubber, tiny pin hole or small crack are exist in this area and cause leaking. Changing new tires will solve the problem.

If you can see bubbles from nipple in water, the leaking is from the 42mmX3.5mm O-ring which acts as a check-valve. Taking it out and lubricating by thick silicon oil and assembling it again will solve the problem.

The 50mmX1mm O-ring is just for sealing two half of rims, it is only functional when you are inflating the tire, so it will not cause tire leaking.

Please send me your address for sending new tires to you.

Best regards

Old 08-13-2009, 01:02 AM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

I just want to say that as a Sky Master customer (MB339) their customer service is excellent. I had an issue with the canopy glass on my kit, which I purchased two years ago and only recently finished building...I made a post about my issue and before I could even contact them a new canopy was on the way, no charge to me.

Here you make a post about leaking tires and asking for solutions and Sky Master sees the post and is sending you new tires no questions asked.

That is service. They will get more of my business that is for sure!

Good luck with the tires, in the end I am sure it will get resolved.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:42 AM
pilott28

ORIGINAL: Likai

Hello Keith:

If the leaking is from the junction of the tire and the rim, the problem must be caused by damaged tire rubber, tiny pin hole or small crack are exist in this area and cause leaking. Changing new tires will solve the problem.

If you can see bubbles from nipple in water, the leaking is from the 42mmX3.5mm O-ring which acts as a check-valve. Taking it out and lubricating by thick silicon oil and assembling it again will solve the problem.

The 50mmX1mm O-ring is just for sealing two half of rims, it is only functional when you are inflating the tire, so it will not cause tire leaking.

Best regards

Thank you very much. I was pretty sure that was the issue, but I will confirm it tonight and if it is the problem, I will PM my address.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 AM
pilott28

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

I just want to say that as a Sky Master customer (MB339) their customer service is excellent. I had an issue with the canopy glass on my kit, which I purchased two years ago and only recently finished building...I made a post about my issue and before I could even contact them a new canopy was on the way, no charge to me.

Here you make a post about leaking tires and asking for solutions and Sky Master sees the post and is sending you new tires no questions asked.

That is service. They will get more of my business that is for sure!

Good luck with the tires, in the end I am sure it will get resolved.
I agree. I have owned several of the planes and always been a satisfied customer. I've got an F16 sitting in my garage that is the next project on my list.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:34 AM
f106jax

Hello Keith:

Best regards

Hello Likai,

Would Skymaster consider abandoning the air filled tire on the F-4 and producing a solid tire? The problem is that when inflated to 40 lbs., the tire diameter grows to a size that will not clear the wing root and go into the wheel well. When the tire is inflated to a diameter that it will enter the wheel well, apx. 22 lbs., then the tire is not rigid with the weight of the jet on it. This makes for a longer take off roll and flexing of the tire sidewalls.

Thanks for considering this change.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: f106jax

Hello Likai,

Would Skymaster consider abandoning the air filled tire on the F-4 and producing a solid tire? The problem is that when inflated to 40 lbs., the tire diameter grows to a size that will not clear the wing root and go into the wheel well. When the tire is inflated to a diameter that it will enter the wheel well, apx. 22 lbs., then the tire is not rigid with the weight of the jet on it. This makes for a longer take off roll and flexing of the tire sidewalls.

Thanks for considering this change.
I would have to add that I can't see why Skymaster uses the inflatable wheels at all. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any advantage to them. At the same time, there are some significant disadvantages. The first being the problem Mike mentions above - that I have seen others with Skymaster's kits besides the F-4 struggle with - especially since, if you over-inflate the tires, your only choice to deflate them is take the hub apart - and then that *very* small "O" ring gets moved out of place. In addition, the tires appear to wear out *very* quickly - even in the smaller Skymaster models, and with an inflatable tire, once is worn out, you are *done* flying on it until its replaced - a real bummer at a flyin if you don't have any replacements on-hand...

I simple, hard, solid tire seems to be a much better solution IMHO...

Bob
Old 08-13-2009, 10:06 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

I could get on board with solid tires myself! I have 8 flight on the 339 and they are getting worn out fast!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:14 AM
RonTins

Hello Keith:

Best regards

Hi Likai:

Hope all is well with you. I'm curious to find out how long the wheels that ship with the Big F-16 can hold air for. Mine loses all air after sitting in a box for a month or two. Is this normal? The wheels have never been used. If it is a problem, can I send them in for a replacement?

Thanks.