Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Gyros on Jets???

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Gyros on Jets???

Old 02-05-2010, 05:32 PM
CRye
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyros on Jets???

I understand the use of gyros on helis. But when you make a heading change by rudder input the gyro follows that heading.
I assume the advantage is to have a gyro in a fixed wing is to seek wings level but if you give aileron input does it still seek level or the new “heading”.
Is this controlled by attenuation of the hold tendency when it receives an aileron input and again seeks wing level when no out of center aileron input?
Is the use of gyros dependent on position upon start up, ie better be on flat surface?

Looking at weatronics system.

Thanks
Charles
Old 02-05-2010, 07:07 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Gyros on Jets???

you would not use a heading lock gyro you wold have to use it in rate mode....I have considered putting a GY401 on the rudders of my Elan, as she does weird things in the yaw axis when the wind blows....
Old 02-05-2010, 07:36 PM
CRye

Thanks Dave,

Anyone give practical advice on what and how the gyro functions work on the weatronic gyro system? Going to read the manual but knowledge from experience is always good
Old 02-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Guillermo Ibanez
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: CRye

Thanks Dave,

Anyone give practical advice on what and how the gyro functions work on the weatronic gyro system? Going to read the manual but knowledge from experience is always good
I have two ACT Fuzzy Pro Gyros in my Skymaster F-16. One in the Rudder/Noe Wheel and another in the ailerons. Both Gyros are for two servos each one.

Both has 2 Modes controllables by two separate channels in my transmitter.

One Mode is Normal Mode (Dampening Mode) with sensitivities controllables from the Transmitter with a 3 position switch (0%, 50% and 75%) and the other Mode is Heading Lock with the same sensitivities controllable by another 3 position switch.

Not yet tested but I hope this Sunday is my maiden flight.

Do a search for a thread "The ABC's of gyros in Jets".....There is many information shared in this thread.....

No experience with the Weatronics, but look for David Gladwin......He will give you all the advices you need in this gyros

Old 02-06-2010, 05:26 PM
CRye

?hola? Guillermo,

Thanks for the ref to the The ABC's of gyros in Jets thread. I read a few entries and will return to it.

Charles
Old 02-06-2010, 09:20 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: Guillermo Ibanez

Thanks Dave,

I have two ACT Fuzzy Pro Gyros in my Skymaster F-16. One in the Rudder/Noe Wheel and another in the ailerons. Both Gyros are for two servos each one.

One Mode is Normal Mode (Dampening Mode) with sensitivities controllables from the Transmitter with a 3 position switch (0%, 50% and 75%) and the other Mode is Heading Lock with the same sensitivities controllable by another 3 position switch.

Do a search for a thread ''The ABC's of gyros in Jets''.....There is many information shared in this thread.....

No experience with the Weatronics, but look for David Gladwin......He will give you all the advices you need in this gyros

I have been using gyros on my ailerons and rudder for years on my Bandit ,BVM F100 and BVM P80. Do not use it in a heading hold mode. On ailerons what you will notice is the plane is fly's rock solid and is not effected by the wind . I had a situation at Florida Jets one year when one flap servo on my BVM P80 quit . I was able to land with one flap down and one up. I still had to hold aileron control to make it level. But at the instant I deployed the flaps it bought me time to make the correction. My set up is to use landing gear as a master then mix to a aux channel that runs the gyro sensitivity. On ailerons with the plane on a stand if I rock it the would deflect about 1/8 of a inch at low rate gear up and 3/16 at high rate gear down. I use the same aux channel for the rudder also but I manually adjust the rate much higher on the rudder gyro. I use a mix so I can forget about it once it is set up. Also with futaba it allows me to say on one side of the aux channel. Many gyros one side is rate and the other is heading hold. If you have the rate to high the plane will start a osolation . Just pull the power back and when you land back off the sensitivity. My latest set up is to use the gyro on just one aileron. The reason for this is with most of my planes I like to crow the ailerons with out having to use 2 gyros. Even with one aileron the plane fly's rock solid. Good Luck Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29649.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1373330  
Old 02-07-2010, 04:09 AM
David Gladwin

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

I currently have three Weatronics receivers, 2 Micros plus a 12-30 on 2.4 with gyros. All work very, very well. I am only using on normal mode, with variable gain, so far, as I have not yet worked out how to control the switching and neutral setup before the manual is published.

I gave a quick guide to set up on the other Weatronics thread.

These receivers are quite brilliant. Imagine, a standard size receiver with TWO Rf links PLUS a downlink PLUS three gyros !

Regards, David Gladwin.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:21 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Guillermo Ibanez

ORIGINAL: DAN AVILLA

ORIGINAL: Guillermo Ibanez

Thanks Dave,

Do a search for a thread ''The ABC's of gyros in Jets''.....There is many information shared in this thread.....

I have been using gyros on my ailerons and rudder for years on my Bandit ,BVM F100 and BVM P80. Do not use it in a heading hold mode. On ailerons what you will notice is the plane is fly's rock solid and is not effected by the wind . I had a situation at Florida Jets one year when one flap servo on my BVM P80 quit . I was able to land with one flap down and one up. I still had to hold aileron control to make it level. But at the instant I deployed the flaps it bought me time to make the correction. My set up is to use landing gear as a master then mix to a aux channel that runs the gyro sensitivity. On ailerons with the plane on a stand if I rock it the would deflect about 1/8 of a inch at low rate gear up and 3/16 at high rate gear down. I use the same aux channel for the rudder also but I manually adjust the rate much higher on the rudder gyro. I use a mix so I can forget about it once it is set up. Also with futaba it allows me to say on one side of the aux channel. Many gyros one side is rate and the other is heading hold. If you have the rate to high the plane will start a osolation . Just pull the power back and when you land back off the sensitivity. My latest set up is to use the gyro on just one aileron. The reason for this is with most of my planes I like to crow the ailerons with out having to use 2 gyros. Even with one aileron the plane fly's rock solid. Good Luck Dan
Thanks Dan

very useful information....

Old 02-10-2010, 02:12 PM
CRye

Thanks all,
I am glad to see others sharing info on a question I had.
Dan,
Do you use only one ail when crow setup so it still gives wing leveling action in crow, ie would not if run to both sides?
whats your experience with the bright finish for flying visibility and any effect on rx reception?

Great looking F100. I am working toward bashing my Giant super sport into a qusi F107 Ultra Saber.

Dave,
I would like to read that manual when it comes out.

I'm going to have to find some serious coin to put all this in new jet.

Charles
Old 02-10-2010, 10:21 PM
TommyWatson

I have a weatronic RX in my Turboprop powered Extra. I have the Gyro on the roll axis. It keeps the wings level much better than I can.
Be carefull not to have too much gain or you will get bad oscilations.

Regards