Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FEJ F14 Black Bunny by enrico63 Pics and build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FEJ F14 Black Bunny by enrico63 Pics and build

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:33 PM
bigbaggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FEJ F14 Black Bunny by enrico63 Pics and build

ORIGINAL: rwwinter

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Well from what I know nobody has had an actual wing failure inflight? So they had no need to prove anything, and the only reason they have this now is it really ties into the fact they are switching over to the new material on all their models. So the testing they do on new stuff played right into the timing, I dont think they redid anything based on that wing test, my opinion they posted the results of the new material to clear up the issue. Correct me if I am wrong.
Nobody had an inflight failure because nobody flew the FEJ F-14 the full envelope. Nobody flew agressive with her and the reason for this is that most of the pilots were afraid of braking her in flight.

It was pure luck that no wing failed in flight.

I personally think the new design with the two main spars FEJ has shown us in the pictures is the way to go. If there only intention would have been to use new materials and save weight why the redesign?

It is annoying that they are not able to say sorry and to admit that they made a fault... instead of telling me I have to pay for new wings.

Rudi

The argument that none had failed in flight is invalid. The design was not optimum by any means. Like Rudi said it was going to happen just a matter of time. As soon as someone started to feel comfortable with this model they would start hot dogging it, more speed more gs and bingo failure.
Even the new design is capable of failure it may even transfer the failure point into the fuselage.
FEJ did the right thing with the redesign. Too bad they didn't get help in the initial design phase.
It is a far safer project now.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:31 PM
1/2 time show
My Feedback: (78)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost ready
Old 06-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

were are the videos!!!!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:55 PM
rwwinter

Having now 9 flights on my Tomcat (two of them from a 500feet gras strip) I found some week points of the undercarriage.

I would suggest to reinforce this area BEFORE flying. The glas has not been sanded by FEJ and the glue used is brittle. Remove the glue, sand carbon and glas and clean with acetone. Bond with a thick epoxy flox mix.

On my last flight I lost a main wheel during the rollout on gras. Minor damage of the landing gear leg as a result. I secured the screw holding the main gear axle with loctite and this was not sufficient to hold the wheel in place.

As an improvement I now removed some material of the bolt for countersinking the screw...

Rudi
Old 10-03-2011, 02:08 PM
FMRR

Received my new F14 wings today.Very nice quality the new wing also are notched for nav lights were my orginal ones were not.So I need to make a set of clear bezels for position lights now (red green )
Old 10-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Wap4life

FMRR

How do you make the clear bezels?  I have the lights coming from Dan.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:06 PM
FMRR

I was thinking just to form it like you would with a canopy.LED lights do not get very hot so it should not melt.But it would have to be tested .I'm open to better ideas if any body has made them.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Wap4life

FYI  I bought the new version f-14.

Just got the weight of the F-14:

40.66lb includes everything except:
pipes 1.28lb x 2
turbines k170   3.5 x 2 
3 servos 8411 .2
battery for turbine  2.7
fuel  - 14
pilots  2

i'm guessing total dry weight to be around 50lb  and  wet 64-67lb

All the wires and airlines are installed with all valves and cockpit,
Old 10-15-2011, 01:35 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wap4life

FYI I bought the new version f-14.

Just got the weight of the F-14:

pipes 1.28lb x 2
turbines k170 3.5 x 2
3 servos 8411 .2
battery for turbine 2.7
fuel - 14
pilots 2

i'm guessing total dry weight to be around 50lb and wet 64-67lb

Got any pictures of this "new" lighter layup of the F14? I'm surprised for this to be "new" and lighter, it doesn't sound like its much lighter than Bob's F14 with the old-method of layups.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:55 PM
1/2 time show

ORIGINAL: invertmast

FYI I bought the new version f-14.

Just got the weight of the F-14:

pipes 1.28lb x 2
turbines k170 3.5 x 2
3 servos 8411 .2
battery for turbine 2.7
fuel - 14
pilots 2

i'm guessing total dry weight to be around 50lb and wet 64-67lb

Got any pictures of this ''new'' lighter layup of the F14? I'm surprised for this to be ''new'' and lighter, it doesn't sound like its much lighter than Bob's F14 with the old-method of layups.
Yeah maby a couple pounds mine is 53lbs dry and 70lbs wet But it fly's well

Bob
Old 10-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Wap4life

1/2 i will take some picks.

I will try and weigh it again to confirm wait, but i think its right..  If you reread the beginning of the thread the original one was 60lb dry, so it's about 10lb lighter.  Bob has new version then the original with lighter parts. 

Bob,

Whats up bob is wap from waco with mig 29.  you got my good side on the video

Don't forget my shirt, i  sent you another payment
Old 10-15-2011, 02:34 PM
1/2 time show

I will try and weigh it again to confirm wait, but i think its right.. If you reread the beginning of the thread the original one was 60lb dry, so it's about 10lb lighter. Bob has new version then the original with lighter parts.

Bob,

Whats up bob is wap from waco with mig 29. you got my good side on the video

Don't forget my shirt, i sent you another payment
yeah my friend I am going to have some man size shirts made up jest for you. was nice to meet you in waco. we got 3 flights on the tomcat other than some flutter it did great I got some tips for you if you want to give me a call

Old 10-15-2011, 03:09 PM
invertmast

I will try and weigh it again to confirm wait, but i think its right.. If you reread the beginning of the thread the original one was 60lb dry, so it's about 10lb lighter. Bob has new version then the original with lighter parts.

Bob,

Whats up bob is wap from waco with mig 29. you got my good side on the video

Don't forget my shirt, i sent you another payment
I'm surprised it only dropped 10ish lbs from it, considering the size of the airframe... I'm hoping to get my F-14 down to 44lbs RTF dry so it meets WJM criteria
Old 10-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Wap4life

Bob pm your #.

Invert- Great! i really love your build. Don't forget to let me know when the cockpits are ready

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97488.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1674770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96873.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1674771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61165.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1674772  
Old 10-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Wap4life

Hey Bob,

I have a question, i knew i must have hooked up something wrong.  When my gears are up the swing wing will not swing only when gears are down.  Also when the wing swing back it's real slow compared to forward and it will not swing all the way back.  The battery is fully charged and i have the swing wing on a 3 move switch.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:37 PM
invertmast

Bob pm your #.

Invert- Great! i really love your build. Don't forget to let me know when the cockpits are ready [img][/img]

Here are some pics
WAP, I've got the 3D printed parts 99% done. All thats left for the cockpit, is the Seats, tub and stick grips. Shoot me a PM of the width of your F-14 at the windscreen hoop, and the width of the fuselage where the center hoop on the canopy is, and i can probably get ya some pricing on cockpit parts now, if you don't mid having to come up with your own seats and tub.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Wap4life

will do!  thanks
Old 10-15-2011, 04:45 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

When you quote wap could I get one as well

Bob pm your #.

Invert- Great! i really love your build. Don't forget to let me know when the cockpits are ready [img][/img]

Here are some pics
WAP, I've got the 3D printed parts 99% done. All thats left for the cockpit, is the Seats, tub and stick grips. Shoot me a PM of the width of your F-14 at the windscreen hoop, and the width of the fuselage where the center hoop on the canopy is, and i can probably get ya some pricing on cockpit parts now, if you don't mid having to come up with your own seats and tub.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:16 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

When you quote sap could I get one as well

Bob pm your #.

Here are some pics
Yes sir. I can do that!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:07 AM
FMRR

Wap4life,I was out of town for a week and just check in,this thread has been dead for a little while and now it's on fire again.Just want to say congrad's on your new FEJ F14 and good luck.Hope you post your build
Old 10-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Wap4life

Hey,

I have had the jet since August and completed must of the build.  I took a some pictures if you like to see something specific let me know.  I will post more pics. 

The gears work flawlessly every single time.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:34 PM
FMRR

Sure... like to see what ever pic's you have the time to post.Nothing specific yet just general.I was planning to build mine this winter but will have to push it back to next summer.The good news is I should have three other jets done and flying by then.So right now I'm just following along on this one and learning what I can and what to look out for.You got to love RC universe best place to learn and share.BTW does anybody know anything more about Bobs flutter issue?.Like to avoid that.Glad to hear your having no problems with your gear.I have one of the older kits with the new wings,I just bought two new EVO160vx that should push her pretty good.Good luck with your build and look forward to seeing some pic's
Old 10-17-2011, 05:12 PM
1/2 time show

My flutter issue was I had the servo arm the same size as the arm on the elavator (jest like the plans showed) witch made it slopy about 1/4 inch each way. and when the flutter happend it wasted the servos. after we landed they moved about 2 inches both ways big time slop.
Them horizon guys are the bomb I had them all on it and dident tell them what the other one said and thay all said the same thing I needed to shorten the arm on the servo and they told me if I did it they would replace both 8711's I had to drill and tap new holes becouse ther was not any where I needed them and Bam two new 8711's
Now I have no slop what so ever. Now I have my travel rate up to 100% before they was turned down to 50% and had no manaical avantage big time tork.

Bob
Old 10-17-2011, 05:24 PM
1/2 time show

ORIGINAL: FMRR

Sure... like to see what ever pic's you have the time to post.Nothing specific yet just general.I was planning to build mine this winter but will have to push it back to next summer.The good news is I should have three other jets done and flying by then.So right now I'm just following along on this one and learning what I can and what to look out for.You got to love RC universe best place to learn and share.BTW does anybody know anything more about Bobs flutter issue?.Like to avoid that.Glad to hear your having no problems with your gear.I have one of the older kits with the new wings,I just bought two new EVO160vx that should push her pretty good.Good luck with your build and look forward to seeing some pic's
my gear work great too. the first flight my filler valved was cloged( never had that happen before) when I filled it my compreser said it was full. But I realy took of with no air or not very much. the 2nd flight the gear came right up then the dreaded flutter happend. we also have issue's with flaps we need to go over so every body will know. After the first flight and was all over the place on landing Ali did not use flaps for 2nd and 3rd landing and it greassed right in.
the issue is full length flap is a bad idea for models it takes away the washout and thats why the wing are stalling on all these you see in the videos. Ali' told me if that was his plane he would cut the flap and use the outbord flap for crow! that will make this thing land like a boomarang remember the real ones have leading edge slats and a computer to keep it stable. if you dont do it dont use flaps! in Ali's words resist the urge to use the flaps! ( I like the way he talks)
so I will be cutting my flap on the panell line

Bob

Old 10-17-2011, 05:39 PM
1/2 time show

I also have my 12x dialed in sweet when I sweep the wings the spoilers almost shut off and elavons go to low rates with out having to flip 2 switches I can email this program to any buddy with a 12x jest haller

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.