Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

KingTech K-80

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

KingTech K-80

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:51 AM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: KingTech K-80

Tip

You can go to the 3 cell LiFe. Barry has recommended that earlier in this thread.

As far as the fuel ramp I would just reduce it by 1 or 2 points to start. If you stay with the 2 cell lipo. I have a K140F on a 2 cell 3000mHa and do not get any flames on start up.

I can't answer on the warranty but I am Sure that Barry or Dirk From www.Kingtechusa.com will chime in.

Joe Lewis
Kingtech
K-80 and K-140
Owner
Old 11-08-2011, 06:06 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO NOT ever put any oil on the starters Bendix clutch!!! This is not advised; Oil will collect dust and cause the bendix to hang. Check to make sure the starter housing is straight to the shaft nut (Sometimes they get pushed slightly to one side or the other in shipping). Is the starter housing touching anything? The noise sounds like the starter is vibrating against something.
Changed the batt to the 3 cell LiFe and the flames should go away as well....

Old 11-08-2011, 09:36 AM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tip22v

I'm using a 2 cell lipo, but I have a 3 cell LiFe. Should I use the 3 cell?

If I remove the starter motor to oil the sprag clutch do I void the warranty?

How much should I reduce the fuel ramp?

Thanks for the help.
Like Todd suggested 3S LiFe will help much of the problem on starting, much much more user friendly, and you get to fly more per charge.

No, the warranty would not be voided, but you shouldn't have to because they do come lightly oiled already. What I would also suggest is to go to the INFO menu and "test starter" to see if clutch would engage and disengage with authority. If it pops off immediately and positively as you press the button, than it is fine, but if it rotor has slow down a bit than it releases with hesitation, than most likely like Todd suggested an alignment issue due to shipping, which could be easily adjusted.

The Fuel Ramp Joe mentioned is the second parameter under "start"

Give me a call if anything,

Regards,
Barry
Old 11-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks, I will switch out the 2 cell LiPo and use a 3 cell LiFe. I will also try the test starter function, I remember seeing that when going through the menus on the FADEC. I remember opening the box when I first got my Kingtech and thinking it was not very well packed, and the starter motor looked a little off center, I centered the best I could. Any suggestions for how to adjust the centering if the starter motor? The starter housing is not near anything so it cannot be vibrating against anything.
Tom
Old 11-12-2011, 06:53 PM
dmscpu
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: marquisvns

Like Todd suggested 3S LiFe will help much of the problem on starting, much much more user friendly, and you get to fly more per charge.

No, the warranty would not be voided, but you shouldn't have to because they do come lightly oiled already. What I would also suggest is to go to the INFO menu and ''test starter'' to see if clutch would engage and disengage with authority. If it pops off immediately and positively as you press the button, than it is fine, but if it rotor has slow down a bit than it releases with hesitation, than most likely like Todd suggested an alignment issue due to shipping, which could be easily adjusted.

The Fuel Ramp Joe mentioned is the second parameter under ''start''

Regards,
Barry

Barry,

I maiden ed my K-80F today and I was the hit of the meet. With 3 to 4 foot flames on EVERY start marshmellows were flash fried in seconds. I thought it would get better but only got worse. I even made sure to top off my 9.9v life. Diesel with 5% of your oil toasted every time. Starts took a very long time and most time raw fuel would be pouring out the exhaust on light off. It's a Da** good thing I had a flame tube, otherwise I would have returned home with ashes. Check out the attached picture.

I have not pulled the data off of the Fadec with my laptop of yet, but I will and send you the info if it will help.

KingTech Kero start HAS to do better than this, and I hope it does.

Mike in AL

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45139.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1685760  
Old 11-12-2011, 07:38 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tip22v's K-80 Throws about the same amount of flame, just not every time. His was the first Kingtech I have seen. It didn't seem to take too long to settle into "running" mode. Once running it behaved perfectly. I was very satisfied with the throttle response in flight, small adjustments during the landing approach got immediate results. I flew it twice and both times it was flawless. The engine is a bit heavy and bulky compared to my Rabbit, but when one considers that the K-80 was Kingtech's first offering, I would call it nothing less than a total success. The price is simply a generous bonus. I'm impressed. If Kingtech's have a fault, it's the fact that while they are "plug and play" out of the box, the settings in the ECU are not as highly refined as some of the more established brands of turbines. Choosing to go with Gaspar's wonderful Xicoy ECU was a very shrewd move and no small part of their success. I think Kingtech is well on their way to becoming a major player in the turbine business.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Tip22v

I ran the starter in "test" mode and the clutch sounded like it was disengaging positively. I turned the fuel ramp back by one, will see how it does tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:54 AM
marquisvns

ORIGINAL: dmscpu

No, the warranty would not be voided, but you shouldn't have to because they do come lightly oiled already. What I would also suggest is to go to the INFO menu and ''test starter'' to see if clutch would engage and disengage with authority. If it pops off immediately and positively as you press the button, than it is fine, but if it rotor has slow down a bit than it releases with hesitation, than most likely like Todd suggested an alignment issue due to shipping, which could be easily adjusted.

The Fuel Ramp Joe mentioned is the second parameter under ''start''

Regards,
Barry

Barry,

I maiden ed my K-80F today and I was the hit of the meet. With 3 to 4 foot flames on EVERY start marshmellows were flash fried in seconds. I thought it would get better but only got worse. I even made sure to top off my 9.9v life. Diesel with 5% of your oil toasted every time. Starts took a very long time and most time raw fuel would be pouring out the exhaust on light off. It's a Da** good thing I had a flame tube, otherwise I would have returned home with ashes. Check out the attached picture.

I have not pulled the data off of the Fadec with my laptop of yet, but I will and send you the info if it will help.

Mike in AL

Hey Mike, obviously it was too rich most likely during the ignition phase, dial it down leaner to 15-17 for Diesel, and probably dial down some on the preheat and fuel ramp. Call me if anything...

Barry
Old 11-13-2011, 08:55 AM
dmscpu

Barry,

Mike in AL

Hey Mike, obviously it was too rich most likely during the ignition phase, dial it down leaner to 15-17 for Diesel, and probably dial down some on the preheat and fuel ramp. Call me if anything...

Barry

Barry,

I'm a bit unsure exactly the items you are talking about, let me see if I understand you:

"too rich most likely during the ignition phase, dial it down leaner to 15-17 for Diesel" Is that Pump Power Ignition? Currently set at 21

"probably dial down some on the preheat" Is that Engine Fuel Preheat? Currently set at 30%

"probably dial down some on the fuel ramp" Is that Pump Start Ramp? Currently set at 2

I attached a screen shot of my current info for your consideration.

Sorry to be so anal but I want to make sure I get everything correct so that KingTech can represent better at the next fly in I go to.

Thanks

Mike in AL

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37194.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1686046  
Old 11-13-2011, 11:45 AM
marquisvns

Yes Mike, those are the parameters to adjust, without a video of the GSU as things happen. I don't know which stage it is "hanging" meaning temperature remaining for more than a few seconds without increasing. That's the phase you like to make it leaner, but sometimes this richness will carry over onto the next phase and that's when it gets flamy. On a Diesel start, lean out the "pump ignition" only first, I think you should be seeing improvement already.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tip22v

I ran the starter in ''test'' mode and the clutch sounded like it was disengaging positively. I turned the fuel ramp back by one, will see how it does tomorrow.
Tip

When you ran the starter in test mode did you still get the buzzing sound that we heard on your video?

Joe Lewis
Kingtech
K-80 and K-140
Owner
Old 11-13-2011, 01:33 PM
JOHNSCHR
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Mike,

What software are you using to import your ECU data to your PC?

Thanks,
Chris

Barry,

Mike in AL

Barry

Barry,

I'm a bit unsure exactly the items you are talking about, let me see if I understand you:

"too rich most likely during the ignition phase, dial it down leaner to 15-17 for Diesel" Is that Pump Power Ignition? Currently set at 21

"probably dial down some on the preheat" Is that Engine Fuel Preheat? Currently set at 30%

"probably dial down some on the fuel ramp" Is that Pump Start Ramp? Currently set at 2

I attached a screen shot of my current info for your consideration.

Sorry to be so anal but I want to make sure I get everything correct so that KingTech can represent better at the next fly in I go to.

Thanks

Mike in AL

Old 11-13-2011, 03:07 PM
dmscpu

ORIGINAL: JOHNSCHR

Hi Mike,

What software are you using to import your ECU data to your PC?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

First you need the adapter:
http://www.xicoy.com/catalog/product...jn76ntk6611is6

and Noooo it's not a simple servo connector to USB, it's got chips inside the black box.

Then the software is at:
http://www.espiell.com/FadV5cInst.zip

Mike

Old 11-13-2011, 03:25 PM
mdeseve
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Guys anyone using mobile dte oil with the kingtech turbine. Is it authorise for the waranty.

thanks

mike
Old 11-13-2011, 03:53 PM
dmscpu

Yes Mike, those are the parameters to adjust, without a video of the GSU as things happen. I don't know which stage it is ''hanging'' meaning temperature remaining for more than a few seconds without increasing. That's the phase you like to make it leaner, but sometimes this richness will carry over onto the next phase and that's when it gets flamy. On a Diesel start, lean out the ''pump ignition'' only first, I think you should be seeing improvement already.
Barry,

I did a lot of changes all one at a time and with the engine cooling down between starts.
The best results we got were:

Pump Power Ignition: 15 tried 16 no change
Engine Fuel Preheat: 10 had the biggest effect but down from 45%
Pump Start Ramp: 2 only prolonged the start cycle and still had flames
Also tried AUTO+2 at 1 and 0 only prolonged the start cycle and still had flames

The video is at:
Pump Power Ignition: 15
Engine Fuel Preheat: 10
Pump Start Ramp: 2
Also tried AUTO+2

This is the link to view the video, and if anyone is wondering what the computer interface looks like, take a look:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46660307/201...-12-51_759.wmv

So Barry, where do I go from here?

Thanks

Mike
Old 11-13-2011, 03:56 PM
KC36330

Mike, link is a NoGo here, 404 error.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:05 PM
dmscpu

ORIGINAL: KC36330

Mike, link is a NoGo here, 404 error.
Works for me.... Maybe try a different browser????

I used Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and even IE and it worked on all......

Mike
Old 11-13-2011, 04:28 PM
KC36330

worked in IE, but won't work in my Firefox...........still a rather lengthy start and too much flame.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Tip22v

Joe,
I did three more flights today and I don't recall hearing the buzzing sound during start up, maybe tweaking the starter motor alignment fixed it?

Tom
Old 11-13-2011, 04:53 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Tip22v's Shokjet got a new nickname today: Batmobile. Remember the flame out the back every time Batman drove off? It sure runs well, though. Despite the lousy weather we still had fun.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Tip22v

I was trying to find the fuel ramp menu setting to adjust the fuel ramp (as recommended on this thread) but cannot find it. I have look all through the book for the FADEC and it talks about fuel ramp but does not appear to mention how to adjust it. What am I missing? The Batmobile looks really cool but I sure would like to tame it down if possible...

Thanks, Tom
Old 11-13-2011, 06:12 PM
ddlstang
My Feedback: (2)

With the Gsu plugged into the ECU press the #2 button on the GSU twice ( it must say TRIM LOW to acces the menu ). It will display a screen labeled start, press that, then scroll through.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:24 PM
JOHNSCHR
My Feedback: (3)

It's labelled "pump ramp"
Old 11-13-2011, 06:46 PM
marquisvns

ORIGINAL: mdeseve

Hi Guys anyone using mobile dte oil with the kingtech turbine. Is it authorise for the waranty.

thanks

mike
Mike, you willl be fine.

Barry
Old 11-13-2011, 06:50 PM
marquisvns

Yes Mike, those are the parameters to adjust, without a video of the GSU as things happen. I don't know which stage it is ''hanging'' meaning temperature remaining for more than a few seconds without increasing. That's the phase you like to make it leaner, but sometimes this richness will carry over onto the next phase and that's when it gets flamy. On a Diesel start, lean out the ''pump ignition'' only first, I think you should be seeing improvement already.
Barry,

I did a lot of changes all one at a time and with the engine cooling down between starts.
The best results we got were:

Pump Power Ignition: 15 tried 16 no change
Engine Fuel Preheat: 10 had the biggest effect but down from 45%
Pump Start Ramp: 2 only prolonged the start cycle and still had flames
Also tried AUTO+2 at 1 and 0 only prolonged the start cycle and still had flames

The video is at:
Pump Power Ignition: 15
Engine Fuel Preheat: 10
Pump Start Ramp: 2
Also tried AUTO+2

This is the link to view the video, and if anyone is wondering what the computer interface looks like, take a look:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46660307/201...-12-51_759.wmv

So Barry, where do I go from here?

Thanks

Mike
Mike, your video didn't open, so call me, as I can't help you with only limited information.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.