Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM ELECTRA CRASH WHAT DO YOU THINK HAPPENED?????????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM ELECTRA CRASH WHAT DO YOU THINK HAPPENED?????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 AM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: BVM ELECTRA CRASH WHAT DO YOU THINK HAPPENED?????????

Take a step back guys and think about the science.

On all our models we have enough up elevator to stall the model, I would guess.

If you take the speed it is flying and divide by the stalling speed in straight and level flight, and then square that number, that's how many 'g' you can pull if you apply full up!!! Are there ANY jets you can't break if you try hard enough? Jets are so fast it is easy to over-stress them.

My jet trainer stalls (clean) at 28 and does a fast pass at 140, that's 5 times as much so if I were to pull full up I'd get 25 g ...... and a shower of bits like Dustin. At least he put up his hand and admitted the mistake. We ALL have to fly carefully.
The most g I have pulled yet in that model is 9
I am told that pylon racers are stressed fo 40 g turns, but how many g can YOUR jet take and survive? Anyone measured it?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to see some abusive remarks, look for bvmflier under the video clip on youtube. Wow!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:25 AM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, my hobby's model flying, not abusive remarks
Old 05-20-2010, 10:40 AM
jfetter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: quist

According to Rush Limbaugh the ocean water is tough and withstand that little spill.
Al Franken really was right about Rush...

Jack
Old 05-20-2010, 11:01 AM
GOGGLES PIZANO

Seems to me a few question reguarding the incident is fair to have,as we all want to know if any safety issues are abound so we can act accordingly.But i do believe in staying on point and not fall into a "feeding frenzy" on the issue.The man said he basically over geed the airframe....pilot/operator error.Sounds pretty clear to me.I see this incident as a oppurtunity to "check" ourselves in the manner which we fly,inspect our own aircraft.We are fortunate the acft came apart away from spectators.Could have been a serious incident...but it wasnt.Lets be mindful of how we handle our acft when heading toward the centerline when we are flying.Peersonally,i dont think B.V. finds any humor or benefit in this at all,most likely he is pissed...but i dont wan to put words in his mouth,but common sense tells me what manufacturer wants to have an incident like this with his products.If there are any issues with airframe strength i think B.V. will implement proper corrections.As for Dustin...bad deal man..sorry this happened,but a rate switch error can happen to anyone flying the edge.I think most jet flyers or flyers in general dont appreciate the requirement of performance flying cause they mostly fly fast laps. Very easy to have a good flight when your not doing anything but basics.Lets learn from this and have a safe good time guys and gals.My two cents.Thx.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:38 AM
digital_trucker

I've done the exact same thing myself....and in the same way, in fact. Not with a model worth that amount of $$$ though...I wish I had a dollar for every model I've seen disintegrate for being pushed too far "just one more time".

Sudden localized gravitational anomalies suck.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:17 PM
pbusa1400

I've own two Electras with nothing but sucess on every flight. They are the ultimate an the edf's. Dustin just pushed it a little to hard.
But can anyone name a manufacture that produces a model that can go over 200 mph pull full up elevator and still stay together?
I'm not even worried I'm still going to fly mines as hard as I can!!!!!!

Dustin sorry for your loss but it was a spectacular way to go out man!

Pablo

Old 05-20-2010, 12:46 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pbusa1400

But can anyone name a manufacture that produces a model that can go over 200 mph pull full up elevator and still stay together?

Pablo
Any Q-40 pylon racer.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:50 PM
GrayUK

Looks like the nose came off to me.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:54 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Dustin,

Sorry to see your lost. The Electra was definately hauling the mail. It's too bad there are those out there who look for every opportunity to try and beat up on a BVM product. I recently went through the same thing when I converted a Skymaster F-16 using a BVM EVF and a competing vendor's intake ducting. The ducting is some of the worst EDF ducting available and caused a large loss in performance on the maiden flight. The competing vendor's supporters were very quick to jump all over the maiden flight and state the ducting was the best they had ever seen and wasn't the cause of the low performance. I named three fixes the ducting needed and proceeded to fix one thing at a time and test fly. I fixed the first issue and the performance greatly improved and video was posted to document the fix. Guess what, the competing vendor's supporters disappeared after the video showed a hugh performance increase. I said all of this to show that there are those out there who will look for any reason to rag on BVM products. Whether it is out of jealousy, envy, being a competitor, or whatever, there are those out there looking for anything to rag on the BVM products.

By the way, I talked with BV about putting one of the "R" versions of the EVF in a NIB Ultra Viper.

Kirk
Old 05-20-2010, 01:13 PM
pbusa1400

ORIGINAL: rjbob

Pablo
Any Q-40 pylon racer.
Ha your right.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:29 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: rjbob

Pablo
Any Q-40 pylon racer.
Ha your right.
How about the sloap soarers that do over 300 mph?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:39 PM
jfetter

So it seems this thread may have worked it's way done. One person clearly has an agenda or a grudge and he got his jabs in, most figure the pilot said what happened and it makes sense so why question it... Anyone left? Beuller... Beuller?

Jack
Old 05-20-2010, 02:10 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My thoughts are that this YouTube "fast food" should not have been posted without Dustin's consent.
Because you've taped something, doesn't give you free reign to publish it.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:22 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

My thoughts are that this YouTube ''fast food'' should not have been posted without Dustin's consent.
Because you've taped something, doesn't give you free reign to publish it.
When done at a public event that allows cameras? Sure it does. Its your property and you can do what you want to with it.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:17 PM
GOGGLES PIZANO

This venue is an open forum with rules already posted.No ones approval for posting any issue is needed as such.With all respects to Mr Bueschler his "approval" is not required,nor is it "required" from anyone to start any thread.An acft was destroyed while in flight,while maybe some postings may be viewed as "edgy"...the overall purpose is to determine the cause and any potential flight risk that can be avoided by sharing info.HATS OFF TO MR.BUESCHLER FOR FESSING UP AND STATING QUITE CLEARLY THE CAUSE OF THE ACFTS DEMISE.I believe "crashmaster" is as much out of order as the "edgy" statements.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:38 PM
jfetter

ORIGINAL: GOGGLES PIZANO

This venue is an open forum with rules already posted.No ones approval for posting any issue is needed as such.With all respects to Mr Bueschler his ''approval'' is not required,nor is it ''required'' from anyone to start any thread.An acft was destroyed while in flight,while maybe some postings may be viewed as ''edgy''...the overall purpose is to determine the cause and any potential flight risk that can be avoided by sharing info.HATS OFF TO MR.BUESCHLER FOR FESSING UP AND STATING QUITE CLEARLY THE CAUSE OF THE ACFTS DEMISE.I believe ''crashmaster'' is as much out of order as the ''edgy'' statements.
Fess up? C'mon Dustin knew what he did when he did it, he never tried to hide it at Nall for a second, saying he fess'ed up implies he even considered not explaining what happened. He's a professional and he was flying a demo, I'm sure for a second even he went "holy ^$&#!" and chuckled when that thing ripped open like that! As for "out of order", it seems RonLongAZ is the one with the beef, the transparent attempt to bring this to light as if "oh, look at this cool video I found" is just that, transparent, he clearly has a beef with BVM so he goes after Dustin after a crash... Pretty low class IMO...

Jack
Old 05-20-2010, 05:18 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i hate to post in a thread like this. i know there is some beef between ron and bob. i am certain that it has something to do with the thread being started. but taking ron at his word, he says this should be posted to warn and educate fellow flyers. i then expect ron to list all jets that he has crashed ( if any? ) and the reasons why so i can decide if i want to purchase one of those jets. educate me all the way, not just with the elctra and help a fell jet guy out. cant we really move on, life is too short. barry
Old 05-20-2010, 05:30 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

My Tango could have done it!

Beave [&:]

Old 05-20-2010, 05:38 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Honestly, what I find interesting is that at the same event...a few days prior to the Electra going in...one of my friends smeared a Storm Cat across the field like ketchup being poured on a foot long hot dog. The flight line was even shut down so we could all go out and pick up the pieces. The pilot thumbed it in...no questions asked. I posted a video of the complete crash. I posted a picture moments before it crashed. Besides a few "ouch" type comments...no one cared (other than Lukey ) and that was that.

How come the OP did not complain about this accident too?

Just wondering...

B

Old 05-20-2010, 05:41 PM
GOGGLES PIZANO

jfetter..while i appreciate the fevor which you display in your comment towards my post,it is also unfortunate that your comprehension skills in reading are sorely lacking.When i was a child i thought people would get smarter as i grew older.I must say that i have been sorely disappointed at times.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:41 PM
oistein
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: F.P./BANDIT

ORIGINAL: RonLongAZ

ORIGINAL: Top Buns 2006

Jeremy,

check the Joe nall thread. Fan did not blow up. I got greedy on the elevator for the given speed, it happens. Not the airframes fault, or bvm.
So just to be clear!!!! if I go buy a complete electra kit fans, batteries, and all! ( around $8K ) This could happen to any one of us if we pull the elevator to hard? WOW I am sure the electra owners will like to know this.

a jet should be flown with precision and discipline , if you think

you need to '' pull hard on the elevator '' maybe you should learn

to fly a 40 size trainer first ... just a thought
Why all this arrogance? I dont understand it! I simply don't understand why some all if sudden think they're so much better than others. There are so many experts in this forums. Experts at talking at least..

I met Dustin, he a fantastic pilot and very, very nice guy! He is also humble! I think it was very honest and the right spirit to tell just what happened. Thanks Dustin.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:43 PM
rbean2
My Feedback: (3)

Its not a question as to "If" it will break, but "When" it will break.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:52 PM
jfetter

ORIGINAL: GOGGLES PIZANO

jfetter..while i appreciate the fevor which you display in your comment towards my post,it is also unfortunate that your comprehension skills in reading are sorely lacking.When i was a child i thought people would get smarter as i grew older.I must say that i have been sorely disappointed at times.

(in reply to bevar)
I understand your post is not against Dustin, I was simply objecting to the words "fess up", if done tongue-in-cheek, then you need to get a little better about emoting sarcasm. When I was a child I thought people would learn to use capital i's when referring to themselves and quote the correct post when replying to someone on a bulletin board... (sniff) :-o

Jack
Old 05-20-2010, 06:19 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

Honestly, what I find interesting is that at the same event...a few days prior to the Electra going in...one of my friends smeared a Storm Cat across the field like ketchup being poured on a foot long hot dog. The flight line was even shut down so we could all go out and pick up the pieces. The pilot thumbed it in...no questions asked. I posted a video of the complete crash. I posted a picture moments before it crashed. Besides a few "ouch" type comments...no one cared (other than Lukey ) and that was that.

How come the OP did not complain about this accident too?

Just wondering...

B
Because your friends plane did not disintegrate in mid air...............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.