Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

wren supersport

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

wren supersport

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wren supersport

ORIGINAL: Forgues Research

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

What are you using as an ignition for the spark plug?

I use a regular ignition module but without the auto advance and make it fire continuously with a timer I made . As I said I now have them made with everything built in

Roger
Are they available to buy? PM if you are not happy to post here
Old 07-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Forgues Research

What are you using as an ignition for the spark plug?

I use a regular ignition module but without the auto advance and make it fire continuously with a timer I made . As I said I now have them made with everything built in

Roger
Are they available to buy? PM if you are not happy to post here
Not allowed to post business.... sorry I will PM you

Roger
Old 07-06-2010, 02:02 PM
paulflys4fun

Just wanted to explain where we where up to with the Wren S/S and the Evo Booster in the Sprint.

Jim the owner took both turbines and the Sprint to Wrens last Saturday. Wren spent 5hrs with Jim checking over the SS and doing tests on the Sprint which had the Evo booster in it at the time. This is what he has reported back to me!

The SS was tested and the ecu was put onto a computer and all the info was downloaded. No errors could be found, but that said they could not understand why the ss was so slow to spool up. Wren fitted a new ECU to the SS and set the turbine up. The turbine throttled and ran perfectly. Jim is fitting the SS back into the Sprint as I write this.

Now the Sprint Evo booster problem. The Booster was started and a air flow meter was put into the airframe. The hatch was fitted and the flow of air measured. This reveals that there is more than enough air entering the Sprint to run the Booster. So this is not the reason the hot can turbines as Ali calls them will not run in the Sprint! Next a fast acting thermo couple was placed in front of the turbine. This showed that the air entering the turbine on that day with no hatch on and the turbine at tick over was 19 deg c. The turbine was throttled up to full and the air temp remained at 19 deg throughout. The hatch was then fitted. The temperature shot up to 50 deg c almost straight away. As the throttle was opened it was not until 1/3rd throttle did the temperature in front of the turbine return to 19 deg c.

So the conclusion that was reached was that the high temperature the turbine was sucking in with the hatch fitted, and the speed these new small turbines spool up does not give the ECU and pump time to react to the massive temperature change inside the Sprint fuzz. By slowing the spool up time down, it helps the Ecu/pump react to the temperature change and supply the turbine with the correct amount of fuel and stop the turbine from sending flames out of the back.

I hope this information helps. We will continue to work on the SS in the Sprint and if we find any other information we will post straight away. I am only posting this to try and help. Anyone with any comments or things we have missed are welcome.

Can I say a very big thanks to Wren for all there help and time.

Regards

Paul
Old 07-06-2010, 05:10 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting information, Its a wonder how the chaps in Dubi and South Africa and all those other places with high ambient temps ever get to fly their Sprints.

Mike
Old 07-06-2010, 06:58 PM
cavandish

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Interesting information, Its a wonder how the chaps in Dubi and South Africa and all those other places with high ambient temps ever get to fly their Sprints.

Mike
apart from spool up with the plane standing still on the runway, they would not have an issue
Old 07-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Mike
We fly Sprints & other jets here in Cyprus in temps over 40c without problems. I am sure the air temps with the hatches on & turbine running, are well over 50c.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:04 AM
paulflys4fun

I think you are missing the point. You are flying with a higher temp, but it maybe a constent higher temp. Its the change in temp so quickly that is upsetting the turbine in the sprint.

If you guys could do tests that would be good and post the replys. The spool up time for my p70 and Jims p80 is so slow compaired to wren and evo booster that it would seem that is why they run without issue in the Sprint. Both the Evo and Wren do run, but as i say with a slower spool up time. We are talking about slowing the spool up down by 2 seconds from what we can normally expect them to do. As we fly at sea leval and an avarage air temp of 12 deg c our turbines are preaty much running at there peak and our ecu's are set at that.

All i can post is what was found. We will do futher checks on other models, but for now slowing the spool up time down was the only way to get either of the turbines to run in the Sprint.

Regards

Paul