Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Dragon wing failure.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Dragon wing failure.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:32 PM
JET FX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dragon wing failure.

A high percentage of the 'perceived' quality of any given hobby product, regardless of manufacturer has to do with the real world experience of the modeler....
Old 08-18-2010, 07:26 PM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: marquisvns

ORIGINAL: as722

ORIGINAL: marquisvns

ORIGINAL: as722

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

Guys.....
I think you are missing a key point that has been brushed upon already in this thread.....
This tab is for securing the wing to the fuse. It's sole function is to stop the wing from sliding off the spar. Flight loads are minimal at this joint. What is not being discussed is if in the failures that have occurred, was the spar collapsed or broken on the failed wing. I would be willing to bet these are spar failures, not failures of the retention tab.
While I do agree the security of these tabs is severely inadequate, I think further investigation into the source of the failures is warranted.
If someone can post spar material and dimensions, I can check into load capability of the spar.

I am sure Anton is listening, hopefully he is just taking some time to digest the issues and put together a business plan to correct the issues at hand. Give him a few days before throwing him under the bus....

Todd
Todd,

I can't speak for others but mine was not a spar failure as the wing tube and the other wing were still attached after the crash.

Albert
Albert:

The phrase ''still attached after the crash'', does that mean that the spar is still nice and straight? or is it folded but just still attached to the fuselage?

Barry

It's folded from when it hit the ground but still attached to the fuse. The other wing was attached to the fuse in perfect condition. When the wing came off the airplane did a ''car wheel'' in the air and actually landed kind of flat on the grass. The fuse was actually in one piece but there was cracks every where.

Albert
Albert,

Although we weren't there when this happened, it's hard to comprehend that the wing would separate cleanly from the airplane without distorting the wing tube in the air. Unless at such low airspeed with high roll rate, so high that the centrifugal force ''shoots'' out the wing cleanly, which is not likely to be able to perform by any RC jet.

Say the tab did fail first, during the wing separation from the fuselage, at this time, the wing only has one spar to ''hang on to''. It is bound to flutter and rotate on that only spar, once it did, the spar would fold, then wing slips out. make sense?

Another scenario, the integrity of the spar breached first, pops loose the tab, wing folds and departs; this is what I think happened, and would have happened to my friend's dragon if he had gone say another 10 more mph on that one turn.

Albert, I don't mean to contest your mishap, just trying to help sort things out for the sake of the spirit of this thread.

Barry

Barry,

I'm pretty confident that the spar did not fail but I'll never know for sure. I had heard of other pilots bending their tubes so once in a while I would take the tube and roll it on a glass table to check for any "bows" and it was straight as could be. The new style spar looks to be up to the job IMO.

Albert
Old 08-18-2010, 07:56 PM
rcand

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

If you have the money for a jet engine and all the components, you have the money to do it right and just buy a BVM jet. Less hassles, better engineering, and your jet ALWAYS goes together perfectly and flys perfectly too. BVM is built for the speed the jets go, and then some (added security). I've been building and flying BVM jets for 21 years now ... way back with the ducted fan Aggressors. They were designed and perfectly engineered too. So, for an extra $800 ~ $1000, just buy BVM and fly safely ... and have a jet that will not break-up in the air. You will have a team of experts who will also back you up, as well as their product!!!

We appreciate your comments and I too believe BVM has the best products and I have been flying BVM stuff since 1985, when all he had was the sport shark. But when you compare prices, the Dragon is similar in size and style as the Ultra bandit, Dragon around $2500, maybe less and the Ultra at about $14,000, that is not just a small difference and that's why many are buying from China. Believe me if I could had afforded the Ultra I would not have bought the Dragon

Nuff said.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:10 PM
rcand

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

ORIGINAL: rcand

Well, sorry for your loss, especially since I have a Dragon. I always believed SM was the best of the kits from China but I guess they are all about the same.

I dunno....... There are some pretty darn goood ARFs from China out there...

True, I never had a problem with my Tam F-18. But Tam makes trips to the factory about every month or so to make sure everything is done correctly
Old 08-18-2010, 10:20 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Albert, a well designed spar or certain structural members could flex (not as likely with our models) but never bend, otherwise I could assure you that's not the only thing gonna be "bent out of shape"

If other pilots' and my buddy's spar including his replacement (which is identical as the bent one) are the so call "new style spar" and still bend under load, then, in my opinion, they are NOT up to the job.

Barry
Old 08-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Well, all this talk has certainly brought down the prices and values on Skymaster, as well as the direct sales of their jets.

Have you seen the sudden spike in the amount of people trying to off-load their SM jets lately? Someone even took all the components out of their Skymaster jet to use for a better quality jet, and is selling the jet only!! Stating that they would rather sell it to someone who is willing to fix or deal with all the unknowns and risks than for him to risk flying that jet again. Better to sell it off at a severe loss of money than to have it crash and burn up all the electronics and engine.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:29 AM
JetsRC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could you please tell me where did you see this? Please if posible send me all the links to check about this big increase in people off loading their SM jets. It is important for me to be informed about this things.

We have hundresds of SM jets all over the world with no issues, I personally have jets with more than 3 years and hundreds of flights and are still going solid, most of the best dealers in the world deal with Skymaster products. As with any product problems may arrise from time to time and we are willing to solve those problems and help customers, this has been done in the past and it will be done in the future.

Michel
Old 08-19-2010, 12:33 PM
tothemax

I also would like to see some of these planes that you see at reduced prices particularly a Dragon. thanks
Old 08-19-2010, 12:38 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, all this talk has certainly brought down the prices and values on Skymaster, as well as the direct sales of their garbage jets.

Have you seen the sudden spike in the amount of people trying to off-load their SM jets lately? Someone even took all the components out of their Skymaster jet to use for a better quality jet, and is selling the jet only!! Stating that they would rather sell it to someone who is willing to fix or deal with all the unknowns and risks than for him to risk flying that jet again. Better to sell it off at a severe loss of money than to have it crash and burn up all the electronics and engine.
I personally have not seen this trend and I look at the sales boards most every day. Please post evidence. Currently there are 10 SM jets for sale on the boards out of 71. Thats 14% off all jets being sold. Hardly a "spike" as you put it.

Plus, SM probably sells more jets than anyone else meaning that there are more used jets out there to sell at any given time. If anything this proves that people are satisfied with their jets and NOT selling them as you suggest.

It seems that this isn't the only thread where your facts are skewed or are simply incorrect. I guess you haven't had enough spanking on the full scale "approach" issue by the pilots who fly commercially including one who is a 757 pilot on that issue.

Do you even fly jets at all? or are you lurking around here just to stir up trouble?
Old 08-19-2010, 01:08 PM
icepilot

This is pure nonsense...
Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 PM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

Guys,

To put this back into perspective, I would say this. Skymaster/X-Treme Jet products are overall good products. I'm sure that Anton and John et al have put in a fair amount of work bringing us jets at a palatable price. However, in manufacturing problems do arise and when they do, how they are handled is what sets companies apart and distinguishes the winners from the losers. And a company is only as good as how they handled their last mistake. Add to that the message boards, like RCU, and the ability to communicate with the world as easily as we do today and a company can have it's reputation ruined in an hour by people that would have to fly 14 hours to knock on the door. The nature of manufacturing is to solve problems. Not everyone is capable to do this or everyone would be in their own business. But Anton IS in business. He needs to get on this thread and make people feel good about his products again and he needs to make the people who may have defective products feel confident in flying SM jets again. I see pilot tw watching this thread but so far no comment.

So how abou it Anton? Get on here and end this. Put out a product directive stating that there may be problems with the tabs and the canopies and post a modification that people can do to make YOUR products safe to fly. I would assume that anyone who is capable of building a jet is capable of modifying it to be safe.

I know, you think that it is good business practice to just let this thread die and within a few weeks or months things will be back to normal. You are probably right but I look at it this way. We, as jet flyers in the US (and everywhere) are only one serious accident away from losing our right to enjoy our hobby as freely as we do.

Good flying this weekend!

Jim
Old 08-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Airplanes400

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

Well, all this talk has certainly brought down the prices and values on Skymaster, as well as the direct sales of their garbage jets.

I personally have not seen this trend and I look at the sales boards most every day. Please post evidence. Currently there are 10 SM jets for sale on the boards out of 71. Thats 14% off all jets being sold. Hardly a ''spike'' as you put it.

Plus, SM probably sells more jets than anyone else meaning that there are more used jets out there to sell at any given time. If anything this proves that people are satisfied with their jets and NOT selling them as you suggest.

Do you even fly jets at all?
I have 8000+ hours in the following jets; Lear 35, Falcon 20, Sabre, and Citation 10, not to mention my 2500 hours prior to that, in which 900 were turbo-prop. I was also a Check Captain/ Check Pilot who certified pilots for left and right seat in these types of jets. And yes, I also fly jets and planes in this hobby.

I seroiusly doubt SM sells more jets than than anyone else, but I do agree there are many out there. Hopefully, most of them are hangar queens (which may explain why some people have had them for years ... cause they never fly them). If and when they do fly them, they do very gentile maneuvers so as not to overstress a weak structure. OR ... as in the case of a rep, reinforced it in many, many areas that the 'factory' overlooked.

The SM factory 'scrap balsa wood and glue job' that we all saw on a previous post that was done for the aluminum tab must have been done by a child on his/her first day of work at the SM factory in China.

Seeing all this, it is clear that SM has no quality control, nor quality. Just junk that they brush off as 'buyer beware' with their belief that the buyer needs to reinforce the SM jet in many places so that it is airworthy. As is straight from the box, SM jets are for display only.

Please don't defend a bad product. Anton and his inept crew have known about these issues for 18 months and did nothing about any of it. Simply put, Skymaster jets are severely lacking quality, and are not airworthy.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:25 PM
icepilot

I have 8000+ hours in the following jets; Lear 35, Falcon 20, Sabre, and Citation 10, not to mention my 2500 hours prior to that, in which 900 were turbo-prop. I was also a Check Captain/ Check Pilot who certified pilots for left and right seat in these types of jets. And yes, I also fly jets and planes in this hobby.

I seroiusly doubt SM sells more jets than than anyone else, but I do agree there are many out there. Hopefully, most of them are hangar queens (which may explain why some people have had them for years ... cause they never fly them). If and when they do fly them, they do very gentile maneuvers so as not to overstress a weak structure. OR ... as in the case of a rep, probably reinforced it in many, many areas that the 'factory' overlooked.

The SM factory 'scrap balsa wood and glue job' that we all saw on a previous post that was done for the aluminum tab must have been done by a child on his/her first day of work at the SM factory in China.

Seeing all this, it is clear that SM has no quality control, nor quality. Just junk that they brush off as 'buyer beware' with their belief that the buyer needs to reinforce the SM jet in many places so that is is airworthy. As is straight from the box, it is for display only.

Please don't defend a bad product. Anton and his inept crew have known about these issues for 18 months and did nothing about any of it. Simply put, Skymaster jets are severely lacking quality, and are not airworthy.
[/quote]

Well, I have several hundred hours on my 3 SM jets, and there are a lot of pilots here in Norway that fly SM jets everytime we are at our field. None of them have ever fallen apart, they are not flown gentile and they are great planes. I am not a rep, not sponsored and I have
never reinforced any of my SM models. Contrary to your ramblings, I know these planes and I know what I am talking about - but I doubt that you are a person that can be discussed with in a sensible manner so I will end my engagement in this matter here..
Old 08-19-2010, 03:36 PM
rcand

well, I decided to see if the metal tab in my Dragon may become a problem. I was fortunate to have installed an EZ air system on a recessed plate, flush with the root, behind the tab, so I have a go view of the tab and mounting just by removiong my EZ air mounting plate. What I found out was disappointing. The tab is in the wing about 3/4 inch with a big gob of glue gluing it to the inside of the very thin fibergalss root section, that's it. there are some large balsa blocks just in front of the metal tab. It looks like the tab was meant to go through the balsa blocks, but either the tab or the blocks are not in the correct position. The fiberglass root is not very thick, definately not structural. I can't believe SM would screw this up. This is pre-engineering 101, you know, mount the tab through a block of wood, preferably hardwood or plywood. I will be making some modifications before I fly again.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:50 PM
mk1spitfire

Do you think public show organisers will ban these models from displays if there is a known proven structual fault?
Old 08-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Airplanes400

ORIGINAL: icepilot

Well, I have several hundred hours on my 3 SM jets, and there are a lot of pilots here in Norway that fly SM jets everytime we are at our field. None of them have ever fallen apart, they are not flown gentile and they are great planes. I am not a rep, not sponsored and I have never reinforced any of my SM models. Contrary to your ramblings, I know these planes and I know what I am talking about - but I doubt that you are a person that can be discussed with in a sensible manner so I will end my engagement in this matter here..
Hi Icepilot,
I'm glad you have had safe flights with your SM jets. I really hate to see them crash no matter who the manufacturer is. People put a lot of money and time into these things. I hate to see all that go to waste .. for any reason ... even pilot error.

I'm sure you saw that 'factory' aluminum wing tab glue job on one of the SM Dragons. Something like that should have never been put in the market. Obviously, SM lets anything go out their door. Now we have a rash of these planes coming apart in the sky !!!

In most products these days, "Made in China" has meant same quality, lower price. In the case of SM (and as stated by their rep, "Made in China" means cheap quality, bad engineering, low price ...

I have very high standards for something that is going 200+ mph. The g's that these jets are capable of, and endure, would cause a human to 'black out'. A 90° bank at a constant altitude can put as much as 4 g's on an aircraft structure, and a hard landing can be 2 or more. Since these models weigh anywhere from 18 to 35 pounds, a 'g' force of 6 would be as if the plane weighed 108 to 210 pounds. That is what the minimum stress capability of these planes should be. The fiberglass thickness in these jets is not capable of this with proper reinforcing. SM jets do not have the proper structure or reinforcing. Their aluminum wing tab is severely inadequate, and improperly glued/attached.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:30 PM
JetsRC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is really going no where and it is not worth to continue posting on this. Treating people of inept and saying that childs work on this jets is not my idea of a discution and clearly this is going towards a brand slash more than trying to find solutions, with all sort of theories and asumptions that really do not show the reality of things.
Flying all sorts of big planes doesn't make anyone an expert on RC, sorry...

As posted earlier any customers having problems, doubts or any other issue with your SM or XJ models please feel free to contact me directly by email. We will do our best to help you out.

Michel out...
Old 08-19-2010, 04:43 PM
AndyAndrews

And yes, I also fly jets and planes in this hobby.

I seroiusly doubt SM sells more jets than than anyone else, but I do agree there are many out there. Hopefully, most of them are hangar queens (which may explain why some people have had them for years ... cause they never fly them). If and when they do fly them, they do very gentile maneuvers so as not to overstress a weak structure.
What RC jets do you own now and what have you owned in the past? Just curious. I've had my SM F-16 for over three years and never once had a structural problem at all with over 100 flights on it. Plus I'm not easy on it. Most flights are full throttle with hard turns. She's held up fine. So much btw, that I'm getting it re-themed because I'm bored with the current theme. I would't spend that kind of money on a jet that wasn't proven.

But do tell us - What turbine jets are you currently flying? (not scale) Also, there are no waiver holders from York SC. Are you listed under another city?
Old 08-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Airplanes400

ORIGINAL: JetsRC

This is really going no where and it is not worth to continue posting on this. Treating people of inept and saying that childs work on this jets is not my idea of a discution and clearly this is going towards a brand slash more than trying to find solutions, with all sort of theories and asumptions that really do not show the reality of things.

As posted earlier any customers having problems, doubts or any other issue with your SM or XJ models please feel free to contact me directly by email. We will do our best to help you out.

Michel out...
Typical lame attempt to brush off the issue when you are losing. But the issue is real ... SM jets are severely inadequate in design, structure and workmanship. Not assumptions or theories either ... the pictures show the inept workmanship and design of SM jets.

Your response is the same as Antons ... hey, have a problem ... send me an email. Well Mike, the problem seems to be wings and canopies coming off in flight due to poor craftsmanship. What are you going to do for the customer who contacts you AFTER his plane crashed for these reasons? Anything you do is too late then. And don't offer to sell him another plane! Instead, suggest that your customer buy a different brand ... like Yellow, JHH, or BVM.

SM should announce retrofits for all their deficiencies ... just like BVM and Toyota. Even supply the necessary materials to the current owner, or offer for the rep to do the modification. I'd rather have patch on my jet than a jet that slammed into the ground and burst into flames, destroying everything.

Then, SM should immediately upgrade their products with proper workmanship and materials.

I wouldn't fly a Skymaster jet if you gave one to me. I don't want the liability of owning one if one of these can cause property damage or kill someone due to poor quality that causes them to come apart in the air.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Airplanes400

What RC jets do you own now and what have you owned in the past? Just curious. I've had my SM F-16 for over three years and never once had a structural problem at all with over 100 flights on it. Plus I'm not easy on it. Most flights are full throttle with hard turns. She's held up fine. So much btw, that I'm getting it re-themed because I'm bored with the current theme. I would't spend that kind of money on a jet that wasn't proven.

But do tell us - What turbine jets are you currently flying? (not scale) Also, there are no waiver holders from York SC. Are you listed under another city?
I too have an F-16, but not SM. Granted, the F-16 by design has a great structure ... strong too. One of my favorites to fly. Just up here in York (no-mans land) for a short time. No place to fly jets in this area. Fields here are grass ... not good for jets. I live, and fly R/C jets in South Florida. Also have F-4 and F-15 (bvm, yellow aircraft, and jhh)
Old 08-19-2010, 06:07 PM
marquisvns

ORIGINAL: JetsRC

..... with all sort of theories and asumptions that really do not show the reality of things.

Michel out...
Michel, the reality of things is that the spars are bending, tabs popping, canopy ejecting... in flight! If this isn't enough for you, dragons crashing, now that's the reality of things.

After my buddy receives the new but same spar, he traded the plane to me, so in essence I am also one of the owners of a dragon. So, if you will provide me with a stronger spar, and I shall thanking you and take care of all other mods; otherwise, I urge Anton to provide a stronger spar for those who choose to up grade and put together a provision for structural improvements for the wing tabs, canopy area, and or any other relevant locations as soon as possible.

From what I know, dragons are made by a subcontractor in China and perhaps that explains the lack of quality control. I personally also own an old SM Gripen and it probably has about 500 flights to this day by 5 or 6 previous owners before me and is still going strong.

Cheers SM, owners, dealers,
Barry
Old 08-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Airplanes400

OK ... to be fair to Skymaster, they are not the only manufacturer to have poor craftmanship, workmanship, and design. I have seen several areas were FeiBao jets need improving and reinforcing too. But so far, I have not seen or heard of any Feibao jets coming apart in the sky.

There are people that fly, and people that know how to build a plane that will fly safely. I have also seen people that have no business flying jets. They should still be flying trainers. Some people are given a turbine waiver that don't deserve it.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:20 PM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

Michel,

I just want to thank you for your offer of assistance to those who seek it. And yes, lets stop bashing each other and share ideas and our frustrations in a respectful manner. I am as frustrated and even irate over this as the rest of you.

Also, I would admit that SM brand has great recognition in the hobby although they have really dropped the ball on this issue.

I'll be flying my newly reinforced, newly canopied Dragon this weekend and not worry about it. If only Anton would get on here and straighten this mess out I would be perusing his website dreaming about my next jet! Oh well, I'll look at Aviation Designs.

Jim
Old 08-19-2010, 06:46 PM
AndyAndrews

I too have an F-16, but not SM. Granted, the F-16 by design has a great structure ... strong too. One of my favorites to fly. Just up here in York (no-mans land) for a short time. No place to fly jets in this area. Fields here are grass ... not good for jets. I live, and fly R/C jets in South Florida. Also have F-4 and F-15 (bvm, yellow aircraft, and jhh)
Not to be to inquisitive, but all of your jets are ducted fan right? You don't own a turbine jet do you? If so your not waivered are you? The reason I ask is that you are all of the sudden posting a lot on the jet forums and based on your comments you really don't seem to know much about the community.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Molnar142
My Feedback: (38)

Wow.
Like most threads I see these days it takes 2+hrs of time (that I have little of) away from my life to weed thru the immense amount of BS to get to what seems, at times, less than 10% of valuable content. Can we dispense of the crap, realize there is a potential problem and get on with finding solutions to each model affected with this design?

In my world (largest jet engine manufacture in the world…I’ll let you guess who) we have a process for these types of defects in design or manufacturing. It’s called Service Bulletins. They are categorized from Cat1 which equals ground plane and address immediately to Cat9, do at customer convenience. All Skymaster and any other manufacture has to do is post bulletins on their web site detailing the problem and hopefully a way to remedy. They could also provide the severity like, do before next flight or at customer’s discretion, etc. A representative from the manufacture could post a thread each time a bulletin is published on their web site so we know to go look….that by the way is called an All-Ops-Wire in my line of work.
I have a Skymaster F-16 (among other jets) and this is what I did to remedy the problem after this tab issue was brought to my attention.
I cut a small window above the tab to have a look inside and I would agree the way the tab was fastened was inadequate (in my opinion). So I simply drilled a hole through the lower wing skin, thru the Al tab, added a carbon fiber doubler to the underside of the wing and threaded in a #6 self tapping socket head screw in which protruded through the tab on the inside. Then, thru the window that I cut, I filled the area around the tab with Hysol. I also added a small piece of wood to lay transverse across the tab. After setting overnight, the structure is solid. If this tab rips out of here now the plane, I’m afraid, has other issues. You will also note, I JB welded a lock nut to the top of the tab. This is so I’m not relying on the 2 threads, due to the thickness of the tab, to secure the wing bolt.

I really feel for the guys that found out about this issue the hard way. Thank you though for sharing as I hope the ingenuity by some may help mitigate further catastrophic failures.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18992.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1486778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10659.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	1486779  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.