RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Powerbox Core radio and set up thread. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/11660334-powerbox-core-radio-set-up-thread.html)

Dave Wilshere 01-28-2020 10:04 PM

What software on Mercury do you have? They should be updated.
I would check with Danny on the software version your radio will have and get him to talk you through updating. 1.65 has specific requirements

Dave

AngusMc 01-29-2020 07:02 PM

Thanks, one Mercury (new one) has P2Bus listed as default and one older one needs to be updated.

AM

husafreak 02-01-2020 12:54 PM

Looking today at CORE Intro videos from Powerbox. Besides that there are two #9's and no #8 it was pretty straight forward... Two questions right off are regarding Flight modes and powerbox/receiver updates.
The three flight mode videos are great but I also (and only used to) think of "flight modes" as a three position switch that changed surface travel and expo from, say: low rate/low rate with high rate rudder/high rates. I would like to see a video or instructions covering that application. The Powerbox concept of flight modes was typically handled by canned flap programming or mixes in my previous radios.
Is it possible to update my Powerboxes and Powerbox receivers from the CORE transmitter? I would like to see how to do that as well.
Gotta love long hotel stays with nothing to do!

BarracudaHockey 02-01-2020 01:13 PM

Not sure about the Mercury and that but yes you can update receivers from the Core

The setup of the Rates on different switches and different rates and that is handled in other menus. Where I use flight modes is to trim the elevator separately with each mode so that I can do flap/elevator compensation by setting up different elevator trims for each flap switch position.

husafreak 02-01-2020 03:49 PM

I’ll have to learn how to put different rates and expos on a single switch then. Yes the process for mixing flaps and elevator trim is well explained and every tutorial I watched makes perfect sense. I’ll keep looking for the procedure to update receivers, if it is in the manual I apologize for asking in advance!

AEROSHELDON 02-01-2020 04:50 PM

Single switch is pretty easy, when you assign the DR and EXPO just keep using the same switch and the same positions for hi/med/low....

On the RX I did my update wirelessly, it's not in the receiver menu, it's in the main menu where you do the Core update.

BarracudaHockey 02-02-2020 04:45 AM

When you go into the System Menu to select Update it gives you a list of everything's version.

You just pick the receiver that's bound to that model and it tells you what version it is and what versions are available.
Tap the version you want and it takes about 30 seconds to push the update and reboot the rx.

husafreak 02-02-2020 09:00 AM

OK, so when I update the TX via USB stick it also loads RX updates. Cool

BarracudaHockey 02-02-2020 09:06 AM

Cool indeed :)

What surprised me is that it actually tells you what each available version fixes when you go to push the updates.

BarracudaHockey 02-02-2020 11:48 AM

Here we go
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...0d280c09fb.jpg

In the system menu
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...3b457b6b83.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...0868d866ac.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...763798992f.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...1ca3b42663.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...a94331ec2b.jpg

David Gladwin 02-03-2020 10:55 AM

Core

Another install completed. Its in the PST Reaction with I sat gyro so it needed 11servo outputs. I will use this jet to evaluate both modes of the gyro.

So, without using my Mercury, reserved for my Sea Fury, assigned 8 to the 9 channel receiver, all flying controls, 3 to an 8 channel receiver, gyro gain, throttle and brakes.

Fed power to both from y leaded outputs from Sensor.

P2 bus inputs are pressure sensor, Xicoy ecu data and GPS for gyro speed gain control.

Another lesson: It seems I Sat gyro outputs cannot be assigned to functions driven from the 8 channel receiver.

Otherwise all seems to be working perfectly, now for some flying weather !

Reever45 02-03-2020 11:22 AM

One thing i learned with the iSat Gyro is that you don't have to have physical channel available for the gain. I used all 9 channels and actually have my gain channel assigned to channel 11 and works great.

husafreak 02-03-2020 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Reever45 (Post 12580752)
One thing i learned with the iSat Gyro is that you don't have to have physical channel available for the gain. I used all 9 channels and actually have my gain channel assigned to channel 11 and works great.

​​​​​​

My PB 9 channel RX only has 9 servo ports, doesn’t the iSat gyro use one for physical connection? Or maybe memory fails, it seems whenever I am questioning what I see in the forum I never have the components available, I travel a lot...

Reever45 02-03-2020 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by husafreak (Post 12580765)
​​​​​​

My PB 9 channel RX only has 9 servo ports, doesn’t the iSat gyro use one for physical connection? Or maybe memory fails, it seems whenever I am questioning what I see in the forum I never have the components available, I travel a lot...

iSat plugs into BATT/Data port, which could also be channel 10 if not using gyro.

BarracudaHockey 02-03-2020 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by husafreak (Post 12580765)
​​​​​​

Its got two on the "back" end that are labeled P2 Bus, and Fast Track/Data the FastTrack bus is used for the ISat gyro OR it can be remapped in the telemetry menu for the receiver to PWM and then you can use it as channel 10

P2 Bus is for telemetry sensors

Westwindpilot86 02-03-2020 07:03 PM

Cant wait to get mine. I will be getting mine in the begining part of march. It was between this and the IX20. But I just cant trust a radio that looks like it was made by Tyco. I saw a comment on FB the other day that someone said the update on the RX`s to the latest version is just a scratch of what is in store for us on this radio. I feel like everytime an update on the other brand is 1 step forward, 2 steps back with bugs and glitches in the new software. What are more people getting? The silver and black one or the black one?

Thanks

husafreak 02-03-2020 07:21 PM

Color doesn’t matter. If you watch all the videos on the Powerbox website and read whatever reviews you can find you will only get more excited. This radio is a platform for the future. The other radio you mentioned seems to me to be another “one shot deal” from Spectrum. Probably to be replaced and forgotten by its manufacturer in a couple of years.

husafreak 02-03-2020 07:27 PM

Oh, I chose the blackface.

Westwindpilot86 02-04-2020 09:51 AM

Yeah, I believe your statement about a "one shot deal" is very true. I think PB really did there homework on this radio and it's going to be around for years to come. I'm excited to get it.

BarracudaHockey 02-04-2020 12:38 PM

Both look good side by side, I went with the all black look (I always preferred my DX18 Stealth looks over my stock DX18G2) but the titanium face plate looks good as well

David Gladwin 02-05-2020 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey (Post 12581045)
Both look good side by side, I went with the all black look (I always preferred my DX18 Stealth looks over my stock DX18G2) but the titanium face plate looks good as well

My suggestion is to go for titanium. All black can get very hot in bright sunshine, ( not that we are getting much of that in the UK but in Australia it was a problem!) one reason that PB may want to change the colour of the case.

Westwindpilot86 02-06-2020 07:36 PM

David, that's a great idea. Living in Vegas I dont fly usually past June and it can get warm in may and june so the silver would be an excellent choice. But I imagine as long as you keep it in the case when not in use the black on black is probably fine. Either way, when I'm ready to purchase it will most likely come down to a coin toss and that's what will decide it.

BarracudaHockey 02-07-2020 05:07 AM

Mine has survived so far in Florida but I don't leave it on tables in the sun, it's flying or its put up

Bob_B 02-07-2020 07:08 AM

I never leave my tx sitting out. Its kept in the case when not in use, doesn't matter what brand. I like to protect my investment.

AngusMc 02-09-2020 04:13 AM

My Core arrived this weekend and wow!, feels great in the hand, really like the leather grips. Set up a PBR 9d with a Igyro SRS relativity easy, quickly go from a 9 channel to 14 channel ( 5 for ail,rud,elev).

Has anyone tried updating Voice? transmitter is version 1.65. loaded voices from Powerbox Terminal on to USB, place USB in slot, go to system , software, check, beside voice packaged press "load" says nothing to install? ( files are on USB) is there something we have to do in file manager? I see all the various voices in there from the USB stick.

thanks

Angus