RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Nitro models pusher Bobcat? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/4588799-nitro-models-pusher-bobcat.html)

patzane 03-03-2008 10:21 PM

RE: Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Help needed.
I order another bobcat that is retract ready. I have been waiting for the Robart 520's for the last 2 month from Tower. It was backorder until last Jan. Than nothing, Again backorder for Feb and again nothing. Now it backorder until late March.

Do anybody know where I can get retracts for the bobcat at a good price. I have finish building it, just wating for the retracts.

Thanks for the help

amcleod 03-03-2008 10:44 PM

I just received an e-mail notification of activity in this sub, but on inspection, the link pointed to a piece of exploit code on another website. Of course, there doesn't appear to be ANY way to report this to this website, or to ask how the scammer new to contact me. (Has RCUniverse been compromised?)

Any way, for what it's worth, I mention it here as a salutary warning to everyone who audits this sub.

reb92 03-04-2008 04:53 PM

I have already installed the gas tank on my bobcat 50 facing the rear - It is going to be a pita to get it out - What potential problems am I facing with this set up - I now relize that I cannot let it get to low on fuel before landing...Any other major concerns? TIA

BTW - Engine OS 55AX 11x7 APC Pusher

TUMBLER 03-04-2008 04:58 PM

Matto,

What motor are you using?

Thanks!

Tumbler

ORIGINAL: mattosan1

Nitro to Electric conversion.. 6s 4500mah, 50/55 600rpm/v, 12x8 prop, 8lbs 2oz, Aprox 10min flight time. I will soon take this cat to the field and see how it flys. I will give an update and pic's soon. Thanks for all the information in the first 118 pages... Matto

Meekskin 03-04-2008 05:10 PM

Matto,

You really need to reverse the tank...when the fuel gets low and you go in a dive, the clunk with be sucking air...other than that,,,,no problem with the way you set it up.

Stick Jammer 03-04-2008 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: reb92

I have alread installed the gas tank on my bobcat 50 facing the rear - It is going to be a pita to get it out - What potential problems am I facing with this set up - I now relize that I cannot let it get to low on fuel before landing...Any other major concerns? TIA

Well, it will be more of a PITA to gather all the pieces and throw them in a trash bag cause it's gonna flame out for sure. It will not work with the clunk forward in the tank. The second you go vertical the clunk is high and dry. Even level flight won't take long for it to suck air. Are your wings glued on? If not, it isn't that big of a deal. If they are glued, the anti-rotation rod is probably in the way to remove the tank. I would do whatever it takes to turn that tank around. ;)

Stick Jammer 03-04-2008 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Wingspam

Hey guys I need some help with my Bobcat.
I am having rough time getting smooth takeoffs with this plane. I have 4 flights on this plane and 3 of the 4 take offs where near death, for the plane.

I am rolling down the field for take off and around half throttle or so the plane will JUMP into the air. I mean really jump into the air, with almost no air speed. So far I have been lucky to maintain level fight until the air speed builds up. Once in the air it fly's great almost hands off...

Can anyone offer any suggestion as to why this is happening. I am assuming it is due to the Cg. It is set per the instructions

It is powered by an Os 46x, stock muffler w/ 11x6 P

Thanks

I posted a reply to this question yesterday and for some reason it disappeared so I'll try again. I am assuming you're flying off grass because you mentioned "field". A bumpy field can definitely contribute to your problem. I'm not quite sure why you would be at half throttle when it leaps, maybe you meant half way down the field? Are you applying any elevator when it jumps? I'm also not sure what you meant by "almost hands off". Check your angle of attack as mentioned by opjose, the plane should have a slightly positive AOA when sitting on the gear. Also a good idea to re-check the CG, should be around 10.3" back from the wing leading edge at the fuse. Make sure the neutral elevator setting is correct, the trailing edge should be about 5mm up from a straight edge held against the bottom of the stab.

mattosan1 03-05-2008 12:00 AM

Tumbler,
I buy almost all my electric stuff from Hobbycity (Chinese need to eat also) anyway I am pushing this motor to the limit 6s @ 60amps as you can see the specs below. I have not flown this cat as of yet, but I did fly my Falcon25 (same thing as the Bobcat but smaller) for the first time last Sunday. The conditions were very windy... What a rush...[>:] This falcon25 has 4s @ 38a with about 3lbs 6oz thrust and flew with authority, not vertical but almost... Had a rough landing and had to repair the landing gear on the right rear all else was ok. Matto...

MT Dragon W50F1 610Kv

Dimensions: 50x55.5mm
Lipo Cell Range: 4-5
I/O (A) : 2A
Kv: 610RPM/V
Max Load: 55A
Max Efficiency: >86%
Resistance: 43mohm
Shaft Diameter: 6mm
Weight: 307g
Recomended Propellers;
5 Cell Lipo: 12x8

Recomended Model Weight: 2000-3600g

TUMBLER 03-05-2008 12:34 AM

Matto,

I am curious to see how your .50 size flys as electric. My Falcon .25 does 140(139mph actual haha) out of a dive and 122 level. I am running 6s and added retracts. I ordered another one and will be adding flaps to slow down the landing speed.

Here is a vid of it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=falcon+25

Tumbler

mattosan1 03-05-2008 01:23 AM

Tumbler, Wow your Falcon25 looks very fast and I must say good pilot work!!!

I am sure the setup for my Bobcat will fly great (9lbs thrust vs 8lbs 2oz RTF) but this motor is 610kv @ 6s will only yield 13,500 rpm max so it may not be as fast as you seem like you want to go... If you want huge speed you may have to go EDF setup (high amperage = high cost = high speed). Matto...

reb92 03-05-2008 08:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Stick Jammer

ORIGINAL: reb92

I have alread installed the gas tank on my bobcat 50 facing the rear - It is going to be a pita to get it out - What potential problems am I facing with this set up - I now relize that I cannot let it get to low on fuel before landing...Any other major concerns? TIA

Well, it will be more of a PITA to gather all the pieces and throw them in a trash bag cause it's gonna flame out for sure. It will not work with the clunk forward in the tank. The second you go vertical the clunk is high and dry. Even level flight won't take long for it to suck air. Are your wings glued on? If not, it isn't that big of a deal. If they are glued, the anti-rotation rod is probably in the way to remove the tank. I would do whatever it takes to turn that tank around. ;)

Unfortunatly the wings are glued - I also put velcro on the bottom of the tank to hold in place a little better...bad Idea - This is not going to be easy. Thanks for the replies.

opjose 03-05-2008 12:33 PM

You can cut the wood off the former at the front of the fuel tank w/o problems.

Cut it on either side of the tank so that you can later replace it with wood stock accross the cut area, which you can in turn screw in place.

I did this to make my tank easier to replace and remove, since I typically pull each plane's tank once each season to check everything.

This will permit you to push the tank "up" then forward and out with enough clearance.

amcleod 03-05-2008 01:44 PM

I've got a GMS .25 engine here, looking for an airframe. Would one of the BobCat 25s fly OK with that engine? All the BobCat 25s I've read about in here seem to be electric powered or have .32s in them.

I don't require the model to be a brain-blistering speed-daemon, but I don't want it to be a complete, unflyable slug, either.

Stick Jammer 03-05-2008 04:24 PM

Original: reb92

Unfortunatly the wings are glued - I also put velcro on the bottom of the tank to hold in place a little better...bad Idea - This is not going to be easy. Thanks for the replies.

If your wings are glued securely, you should be able to cut the anti-rotation rod with a hacksaw blade. This will take a little effort but at least you can get the tank out. I'm sure you gained a valuable lesson and it probably goes without saying, but never install a fuel tank that can't be removed. Good luck on the surgery. ;)

Meekskin 03-05-2008 05:41 PM

amcleod,,,,use the os 32 and you will be very happy. Use the os 25 and it barely flies. The 25 is not close to being enough engine.

amcleod 03-05-2008 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Meekskin

use the os 32 and you will be very happy.
I don't have a 32. I'm looking for an aeroplane that I can use my existing 25 on. If the BobCat 25 won't work, then too bad! I will have to find something else for that engine. Still planning to buy one of the bigger BobCats, and equip it with retracts and a 75, but I'm not going out and buy a 25-sized BobCat and 32 motor as well.

I was just hoping the 25 would fly the, uh 25-sized BobCat.

reb92 03-06-2008 09:50 AM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meekskin

use the os 32 and you will be very happy.

I don't have a 32. I'm looking for an aeroplane that I can use my existing 25 on. If the BobCat 25 won't work, then too bad! I will have to find something else for that engine. Still planning to buy one of the bigger BobCats, and equip it with retracts and a 75, but I'm not going out and buy a 25-sized BobCat and 32 motor as well.

I was just hoping the 25 would fly the, uh 25-sized BobCat.

Great Planes has a spitfire .25 size that is real fun to fly - You might want to try one of those.

airborne14830 03-07-2008 09:33 AM

Do you have to do anything special with your engine to turn a pusher prop in the right direction? I have a evolution .61 that I would like to install in my Nitro Bobcat 50. Also, will the motor mounts be strong enough for this type of engine as well?

Also, can anyone point to the right thread that outlines how to mount your wings using bolt versus gluing? I am just trying to figure out which method is better.

Thanks

opjose 03-07-2008 11:52 AM

ORIGINAL: amcleod

I've got a GMS .25 engine here, looking for an airframe. Would one of the BobCat 25s fly OK with that engine? All the BobCat 25s I've read about in here seem to be electric powered or have .32s in them.

I don't require the model to be a brain-blistering speed-daemon, but I don't want it to be a complete, unflyable slug, either.
Heh...

I am awaiting a GMS .32 to put in my Bobcat 25, which is currently electrically powered.

I finally got the speed I wanted out of it by putting in TWO 4800mAh 11V packs in a 6S1P configuration to produce 22v @ 600 watts or so.

I realized that this was about the equivalent of a .25 engine, and that the .25 engine with 4oz of fuel would weight a heck of a lot less than my two big packs, so I decided to convert it back to glow.

The .25 should do fine with the right prop. I want to push it as fast as possible to I'm going with the .32.

opjose 03-07-2008 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: airborne14830

Do you have to do anything special with your engine to turn a pusher prop in the right direction? I have a evolution .61 that I would like to install in my Nitro Bobcat 50. Also, will the motor mounts be strong enough for this type of engine as well?

Thanks
Except for a very few engines, most glow engines cannot have their rotation directions reversed.

That means that you MUST use a pusher prop.

Stick Jammer 03-07-2008 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: airborne14830

Also, can anyone point to the right thread that outlines how to mount your wings using bolt versus gluing? I am just trying to figure out which method is better.

Thanks

When using a pusher prop, the engine turns in the same direction as it would with a standard prop. This would be counter-clockwise when looking at the front of the engine. Just make sure you have the pusher prop orientation correct, the trailing edge is much thinner than the leading edge. The engine blocks that come with the plane are usable but fairly soft, I chose to make new ones from hardwood. I'm not a fan of gluing the wings on for the simple reason of maintenance and/or repairs. You're in the right thread, you just need to go back and do some reading. Trust me, its well worth your time. ;)

mattosan1 03-09-2008 12:52 AM

Stick jammer, I did buy the 46la, the thrust on this motor is pretty wimpy, as you said, 3lbs 5oz with 11x6 prop[&o]. I will install this on a frame that is around 3lbs RTF still looking for this frame... What thrust can I hope to get on a 55ax or 61fx. Matto..

Stick Jammer 03-09-2008 08:18 AM

mattosan1,
I haven't checked the static thrust on my 55AX but trust me with an APC 11x7p on 15% it flies this plane VERY well. The OS .55AX has been the engine of choice for a lot of people on this thread and everyone is quite happy with the performance. At 5 ounces lighter, I personally think its a much better choice than the .61FX.

The .46LA is a good engine but unfortunately its best suited for a trainer type plane. Its a bushed engine so the power to weight ratio is rather low. If you're looking for a jet type frame for the LA check out the Lanier Shrike 40. Not bad for 50 bucks and the .46LA should fly it nicely. These planes build very easy and fly very well.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXX403&P=7

aandr35 03-09-2008 11:56 PM

did anybody tried os50 heli engine full throtle rpm is 22000

rhungent 03-11-2008 02:04 PM

Finally read all 121 pages. Great info and reviews. Nice to see the manufacturer change the plane as time goes. For $99 its a great value, but plan on upgrading some hardware. Here are some of the changes I saw in my retract ready Bobcat-52...

CG corrected 10.3, had metal screws for boom/stab/wing, the wing actually had a small metric screw/blind nut to hold the wing in. Fuel tank facing forward. Landing gear in better position.

This thread revealed CRITICAL information that may save many maiden flights.
Elevator - neutral set 5mm higher than the flat bottom.
Positive AOA - to assist the take off (1-2 degrees...thats about 10-15mm higher at LE than wing root)
Spoilerons - start with 3mm (1/8in) at wing root and mix down elevator if needed
Frame - Epoxy boom supports and other areas for strength.

Debates between retract systems, engines, servos and props were very helpful.

I have 55AX and will try 11x7 and 10x8 later. Used single rudder/elevator servo (JR DS821 88oz/in) that came with the Spektrum. Tied the rudders using standard rod slid through a carbon-fiber tube for more stiffness. Glued weights in the nose and put battery in nose-gear compartment.
Thanks for all the advise and good reading...I will now get an experienced pilot to maiden the jet and teach me how to fly the Bobcat safely.
Richard