RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   A few pics from Wroughton (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/5943833-few-pics-wroughton.html)

CJ2002 11-06-2011 08:23 AM

RE: A few pics from Wroughton

ORIGINAL: lozza1965

Dick congrats on No 100, flew the Sbach yesterday wish I'd had come up now, BTW Typhoon will be ready for your magic touch by appprox Wed good buddy lol, kettle on, food of your choice, even the misses if you promise to do a good job on the Tiffe, bring Geoff he can watch lol.

lozza

Hope she don't read this
[/quote]

LOL!!!Thanks for your more than generous offer but it might take my mind off the Tiffie!

Give me a call and we'll sort timings.

Geoff...yes, what a difference in temperature! Mind you, today's forecast was off the mark...bit breezy but would have been ok...bet there was a good turnout at the CG Jet Fest.

Cheers,

Dick

Dave Wilshere 11-06-2011 01:25 PM

Dick

Other than the "few" it was a good turnout

Dave

CJ2002 12-28-2011 02:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A cold but enjoyable day at Wroughton yesterday - I put another 4 flights on the Foxo, Big G did the first 3 with the 180 in his UL, plus a couple on his Bandit (back out after a 15 month lay-up). Steve Haughty had a ball with his Avonds F-15 as did Steve Moore with his Eurosport. Steve also maidened his brand new U-Flash, which he'd dressd up with some very artistic decals that made it look pleasantly different. The only downside to it was that, after a perfect flight, on an equally perfect tuchdown, the left main gear leg/retract unit pin snapped off, shortly followed by the right side...causing some scraping damage to the underside of the tailplane and rear keel strake. Given that the touchdown was as gentle as it could have been, and the second pin also snapped without a great deal of load at all points to a flaw in the pin material/heat treatment. No doubt CARF will sort this quickly. The final problem of the day was with Andrew Bailey's new VT-80,which had a starter motor issue which prevented him from flying his Exege (Sp?).

Cheers,

Dick

Andrew Bailey 12-28-2011 08:06 AM

ORIGINAL: CJ2002

The final problem of the day was with Andrew Bailey's new VT-80,which had a starter motor issue which prevented him from flying his Exege (Sp?)

Thanks for posting the pictures Dick. I enjoyed the day despite the frustration of having ideal weather for a maiden flight but not being able to start the engine!

It turns out that the problem was that the fully synthetic 2T oil I was using, despite being in the manual as an approved lubricant, was too viscous. At lower temperatures (than Barcelona anyway) it was creating sufficient drag at the bearings that the starter was not able to spin up to the speed required to initiate a start. I borrowed some' proper' turbine oil, flushed the system to get rid of all the 2T oil, gently warmed the VT80 up to 30 degrees with a covering iron and she then started straight away. Once the old lubricant had been purged from the bearings I am pleased to say that she started quickly and easily four or five times during today.

So hopefully Geoff can finally maiden my Exige on Friday...weather allowing of course. That is if he hasn't lost interest by now!

P.S. thanks for asking Paul to call me.
<br type="_moz" />

Geoff White 12-28-2011 08:41 AM

LOL....I have never anticipated a test flight more! Interesting issue around the 'viscosity' of the 2T oil, never heard of that.

Geoff.

whitcombe 12-28-2011 09:04 AM

Geoff, any chance I could come for a visit up to wroughton to test fly a FEJ rafale and give my little old nano a thrashing?

Cheers

Tim

07846 062533

Andrew Bailey 12-28-2011 09:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Geoff White

LOL....I have never anticipated a test flight more! Interesting issue around the 'viscosity' of the 2T oil, never heard of that.

Geoff.
Ha, anticipation is exactly the right word. Has to happen eventually I suppose!

The 2T issue was news to me too, and I did quite a bit of Googling before I used it. I just had an email from Gaspar.Apparently different brands of 2T have quite different viscosity, and he has lots of customers using it without any problems. He doessuggest though that using a mix of 3% DTE Light and 1% 2T is the optimum mix for his turbines. He feels that the DTE is just a bit too light in the warmer months and that mixing it with 2T gives it just the right viscosity. So at least I don't have to find and environmentally friendly way of disposing of the 2T mix fuel I decanted. Every cloud has a silver lining - if you look hard enough.
<br type="_moz" />

Steve Moore 12-28-2011 04:01 PM

Great day yesterday, really enjoyed myself apart from the U/C issues on the U/F, pins are due to arrive Thursday, elevator horns have been replaced, stab repaired and painted so model should be ready for classic jets if mr postman delivers the new pins when he is supposed to!!

Thank you to everyone for a most enjoyable day yesterday, thanks to Dick and Geoff for their advice also!! See you Friday

Cheers

Steve M

Geoff White 12-28-2011 04:06 PM

Hi Tim,

Yeah that should be no problem. Check your PM's for my contact details.

Geoff.

lozza1965 12-29-2011 04:14 AM

Damm it was at work, would have love to have come out.

Best wishes all for the New year, surley got to be better than this one, must get more flying in

laurie

Geoff White 12-29-2011 04:51 AM

Yeah, Best Wishes to you Laurie.
FYI Looking to fly on the 1st and/or 2nd if you are around and, of course, if the weather co-operates.

Geoff.

CJ2002 01-02-2012 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quite a few of us gathered for the first Wtn outing of 2012...but it was short-lived! Our brilliant British weather went from beautiful blue sky with a moderate breeze to almost dark, gale-force wind, heavy rain then snow then more heavy rain...and then back to blue skies and light wind again, all in abt 15 mins. Is it any wonder we are obsessed by it!

Anyway, we had some fun and a few pics follow...Steve Haughty's F-15, Animal's Hawk (which looked soooooo realistic in the sky), Andrew Bailey's Exige, Lawrie Hughes' Phoenix, Animal getting wet and a few drowned rats (with the perpetrator receding in the background!).

BTW, those there were me (Foxjet), Big G (U-Lightning), Animal (Hawk), Lawrie Hughes (Phoenix), Steve Moore (U-Flash), Steve Haughty (Avonds F-15), Andrew Bailey (Exige) and Rog Kilby (Elan)...

Happy New Year!

Dick
England

schroedm 01-02-2012 12:34 PM

No offence Geoff, but that's far from a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow!! :D:D

Geoff White 01-02-2012 12:37 PM

No offence taken Mark....Of course, it all happened by accident that the rainbow was straight into me ;)

lozza1965 01-02-2012 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: schroedm

No offence Geoff, but that's far from a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow!! :D:D

:D:D:D:D:D

CJ2002 01-02-2012 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Geoff White

No offence taken Mark....Of course, it all happened by accident that the rainbow was straight into me ;)
Hey, I never noticed! :D

jason 01-02-2012 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like you had a great day until the rain came in.

The dream team with the pot of gold.

Geoff White 01-02-2012 01:49 PM

Cheers Ginge!

Couch Potato 01-02-2012 02:01 PM

Looks like the Animal wet himself, and what on earth has "Spike Milligan" got on his head ?

DV1 01-03-2012 12:38 AM

I enjoyed myself, despite the cold, rain and forgetting my lipo's for the F15.:(
A big thanks to Laurie for the loan of a couple of lipo's so I could fly.:D

Hey Dick, it's a Jet Legend F15 not an Avonds. :)

Steve Moore 01-03-2012 01:00 AM

I have just about dried out from yesterday!!!

CJ2002 01-08-2012 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good turnout today...Lawrie Hughes (Phoenix), Animal (4 FTS Hawk), Andy Bascombe (Black Hawk and White Flash), Big G (U-L), Steve Moore (U-Flash), John Sanders (FB T-33), Andy Silvester (Eurosport) and moi (Foxo). Pretty uneventful session...lots of humour, lots of flying (coz the weather was perfect) and lots of happy faces. Chaps, feel free to add any anecdotal info I may have missed :D A few pics...

Steve Moore 01-08-2012 01:38 PM

Who is that handsome chap????

basea 01-08-2012 01:44 PM

Dick

I think you forgot to mention Lozza trying to start his engine several times with the fuel valve in the off position! Really good day and, like you say, high level banter.

Andy

Geoff White 01-08-2012 02:56 PM

Leave him alone Andy. He can't help it and also, he made me a cup of coffee, which doesn't happen very often.

Geoff.