RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   BD-5J Project (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/6735559-bd-5j-project.html)

cactusflyer 08-04-2008 12:50 PM

RE: BD-5J Project

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: pilot tw

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

Very cool project. I have been sort of waiting for the X-tremejets BD-5J.

Do you plan on selling the fuse and cores? If so, how much? I think that it would be a unique model to have and there should be plenty of room to stuff everything in that fuse.

Tailwinds,

John
Hi, John

yes, the ARF BD-5 will releae on Oct 2008, i just received the pictures from my customer (Mr. Danny Sermon) , who got the BD-5 ARF at Jet Power Last year....and who won the first place in the category of Civil Aircrafts on the Airshow 2008.

video: http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=2hgyV_S87L4

Best regards

Anton
Anton,

I have been looking at the pics of your Bede and it just doesn't look "right". I have many photos and drawings of the aircraft on file but if you look at what is posted here on RCU and compare it with the 3-view and the cutaway side view that I have on file, you will see that the tail pipe is too long and the vertical fin on your rendition is too far aft. Did you do this because of stability issues with the scale profile? What engine was in the model in the video?

Tailwinds,

John

Zagzoo 08-04-2008 03:51 PM

The exhaust end on the extreme jets is too long.

But, I will probably still buy one! :D

pilot tw 08-04-2008 09:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, John

yes, you are right,

we already modify ithe vertical fin position , here is second prototype's picture (short wings), but I perfect produces the long wings as the first prototype in the Video,

the BD-5 powered by P-60 in the Video,

Best regards

Anton

cactusflyer 08-05-2008 12:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Anton,

Much better with that fin position. Are you going to shorten the tailpipe as well? Also have you considered making a flying stab like the full-scale airplane?

invertmast 08-05-2008 01:07 AM

Anton,

Much better with that fin position. Are you going to shorten the tailpipe as well? Also have you considered making a flying stab like the full-scale airplane?

+1

Anton, if you need any info on the full scale BD-5, let me know. I've had experience with them, as i've owned and built four.

Andy Scholl 08-05-2008 03:00 AM

If you're interested in an 1/2-Scale-version: I'm flying my BD5 since 3 years, now with a jetCat P160. A kit will be available from Thorsten Klaus (http://www.air-tech.info/):

http://www.danieljust.de/galerien/ob.../im2_0123s.jpg
http://www.danieljust.de/galerien/ob.../im2_0125s.jpg
http://iloapp.tobischnurr.de/data/_g...600&height=400
http://iloapp.tobischnurr.de/data/_g...600&height=400

Greetings

Andy

JKEpps 08-25-2008 06:11 AM

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Did I miss where this build thread got hijacked?????

Dave
+1

Did I miss something too? No updates from the thread starter Sticks-RCU it looks like for a while.

ETOPS 08-26-2008 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Andy, Very nice BD, I would be interested in the kit. I am flying a Byron convert. to turbine. Rick

pilot tw 09-06-2008 04:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, all BD-5 fans

here are pictures for the new X-Treme Jets BD-5 (composite wings).....:D

we will dispaly it at Jet Power fair 2008.

Best regards

Anton

E.N.T. 09-06-2008 09:07 AM

Anton: this is Hector from San Juan, Puerto rico. I'm extremely interested in this jet. So when it goes for sale I WANT ONE, please, keep me posted.

Thanks, Hector

BirdofpraY 09-06-2008 07:00 PM

Needs clam shells and full flying stab... are you going to make a full flying stab? love the Coors light scheme...

Zagzoo 09-07-2008 10:07 AM

Clam shell (thrust reversers) are illegal by ama turbine rules, for us in the USA.

Btw...
There any price info yet on the BD?

cactusflyer 09-07-2008 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Zagzoo

Clam shell (thrust reversers) are illegal by ama turbine rules, for us in the USA.

Btw...
Not necessarily.................AMA 510-A item 13 states:

13. Afterburners are prohibited. Other special controls such as water injection, thrust reversers,
variable nozzles, etc. are acceptable only if engine manufacturer provided and supported by
development testing and user training.

All it takes is for the engine manufacturer to provide them.......:D

Tailwinds,

John

invertmast 09-07-2008 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Zagzoo

Btw...
Not necessarily.................AMA 510-A item 13 states:

13. Afterburners are prohibited. Other special controls such as water injection, thrust reversers,
variable nozzles, etc. are acceptable only if engine manufacturer provided and supported by
development testing and user training.

All it takes is for the engine manufacturer to provide them.......:D

Tailwinds,

John
that'd be hard to do, considering they have to be engine and airframe specific....

Zagzoo 09-07-2008 08:22 PM

Hmm..

tkapfer 09-18-2008 09:31 PM

That looks GREAT. Hope everyone continues to build and offer these planes.

The old Byron Originals versions of these were taken over by Iron Bay Models.
They may start making these again if there is enough interest.

They're at http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/.

I'm looking at maybe getting one of these also, but may put the OS91 engine with a ducted fan.

tkapfer 09-18-2008 09:53 PM

Sorry everyone. The actual website for Iron Bay Models is as follows:

http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/

TOC Pilot 12-09-2008 11:17 AM

Any updates on this airplane?

BIll Hempel
www.billhempel.com

TOC Pilot 12-09-2008 11:44 AM

Needs clam shells and full flying stab... are you going to make a full flying stab? love the Coors light scheme...

You can use clam shells!! Just call them 'thrust vectoring' devices. lol

Bill Hempel

Ali 12-09-2008 11:58 AM

Come on bill. Get to it. Give us a all wood 60-75% scale Artf version! If I had your resources and talent for making outside the box ARTF's then a big ***** aerobatic jet would be on my list of things to do.
Regards Al

derrickxp8103 12-25-2008 11:36 PM

What is the website where I can get one of these.......:D

Thanks

sticks-RCU 12-28-2009 11:15 PM

Thought everyone would like to know, I finally finished and flew the BD5J in October of 2009. I had it finished earlier in the year, but needed to get some turbine stick time before I made the leap to the BD5, so most of the summer was taken up flying my Boomerang. I also took out the original P-60 I had in the BD5 and went with a SimJet 2300. With the P-60 I was right around 22lbs dry, with the SimJet it bumped it up to 25lbs dry. I also cut down the gear and it made it look a lot better. I am still taller than scale, but we fly off of a Salt Flat so I want to minimize the amount of FOD. Here is a link to the test flight, I would have made more but the weather turned bad so I will have to wait until spring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ8kQiRUFd0

John

DelGatoGrande 12-29-2009 04:53 AM

cool part when u return the nose down to the earth after landing:Dlol

looks like your cg is close on your mains for your tail to fall like that..
but it didnt rotate well on mains during take of and speed was alot for the wing...
maybe you have your fuel tanks in the nose ...nice if they would be on cg or close;)

good job John![8D]welldone[sm=thumbup.gif]

sticks-RCU 12-29-2009 10:10 AM

You are right the CG is right in front of the mains and my tanks are right on the CG, in fact my header tank is behind the CG if you can believe that. The issue with it hard to rotate, is the turbine sits very high on the BD5, thus pushing the nose down on take off. Easy fix is I need to hold more up elevator through out the take off roll.

I can't wait until spring so I can try it again, but we are sitting with snow on the ground and hope to get in the 30's this week.

hacksaw42 04-10-2010 10:27 PM

I know it's been a while but any more on this plane. Kit wise? Pictures ?

invertmast 04-10-2010 11:15 PM

On the full scale BD-5 the CG position was only about 5 to 8 inch's infront of the main LG axle's, matter of fact w/o the pilot in the seat, it was typical to see them sitting on their tails. So most owners would put a pair of sand-bags at the rudder pedals to keep the nose down. The Rotation issue was a problem as well, If you had to abort the takeoff near rotation speed (around 40-50mph (i'd have to look in my BD-5 POH to get the actual numbers)) the airplane would "auto" rotate and you'd be flying. Very bad place to be with no power on...
I kinda miss my BD-5 (full scale) i sold about 2 years ago... guess i'll have to get another one as a project :)

sticks-RCU 04-10-2010 11:52 PM

Our field is starting to dry out, so hopefully I will be able to get a few more good flights on the BD5 in the next month or two. Invertmast, I think I may have had the rotation issue on landing, as you can tell from the video I was coming in hot, landed and then landed again a little harder than the first. As far as kits go, I built the molds mostly for myself knowing that I would be building a couple of these birds. If there is some interest please PM me or e-mail me, but it would be a very short kit with the fiberglass fuse, foam components and maybe some bulk heads.

I have been itching all winter to fly this so I will post more video's once I have them.

Sticks

aapanama 05-25-2010 10:25 PM

HI,sticks-RCU HAVE JUST GOT A BD-5J FROM EXTREME JETS... GOT ALL THE HARDWARE BUT HAVE NO INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO ASSEMBLE ELECTRONICS, SERVOS, RETRACTS, ETC, IT SEEMS YOURS IS FLYING O.K.. IS IT POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO SEND AS MANY PHOTOS AS YOU CAN IN ORDER TO DO AN EXCELLENT JOB LIKE YOURS? I HAVE FLOWN AND ASSEMBLED JETS LIKE PHENIX, TANGO AND EVEN PUT A RAM 500 IN A NITROPLANES LONG-EASY THAT IS A DREAM TO FLY. VERY STABLE .. PLEASE POST PHOTOS OF THE INSIDE OF YOUR BD-5 IN DIFFERENT ANGLES OR ANY INSTRUCTIONS YOU CAN SEND WILL BE OF GREAT HELP.. MY COLOR SCHEME IS JAMES BOND OF THE MOVIE OCTO*****... PLEASE REPLY.. THANKS BEFOREHAND AAA FROM PANAMA

DocYates 05-26-2010 07:41 AM

For anyone looking for a BD-5, I have one which I am about to list on RCU. It is a very beautiful model in the Coors light scheme, and has been flown, complete with retracts and servos. I will list it here at RCU, but will give the BD5 lovers first chance if they are interested.
Thanks
Tommy

vega406 05-26-2010 10:04 AM

i might be interested check my gallery to prove it..... i have a 1/2 scale with pilot hempel is making a kit of email me your info http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlhtB2pcBbo

Doc... 07-23-2010 06:40 PM

Hi Guys,

Just ordered my BD-5j today from BVM. Patty said it does not come with instructions but Skymaster did send her 7 photos. Is this the BD-5 thread or is there more? I need to find the CG and some instal instructions. It's not that I can't figure it out, it would just be nice to have some form of reference like on the Boomerang threads.
Thanks,

Doc...

aapanama 07-23-2010 07:39 PM

doc: I am builiding a BD-5 from extreme... a fellow that goes by the name dirtydingus has built one and flies very neat.. he sent me the following information,, maybe it can help`you I hope..
ELEVATOR 5/8 INCH UP 5/8 INCH DOWN
AILERONS 3/4 ¡NCH UP 3/4 INCH DOWN
RUDDER 1 INCH LEFT 1 INCH RIGHT
FLAPS 1 AND 1/4 INCHES DOWN
CENTER OF GRAVITY 4 AND 3/4 INCHES BACK FROM LE AT ROOT
GREETINGS FROM PANAMA REPUBLIC OF PANAMA

IF YOU CAN SEND ME SOME PHOTOS THEY WILL BE HELPFULL...

Doc... 07-23-2010 09:52 PM

Hi,

Thank you. Thar's a huge help. Believe it or not I emailed him earlier in the day but have not heard back yet. As I am sure you noticed, he just sold his three days ago. If you are refering to the pictures Skymaster sent to Patty at BVM, I should have them next week at which point I will forward them to you.
Thanks again,

Doc...:D

sticks-RCU 07-24-2010 01:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more pictures of my BD5, I have flown it 5 times now and all I can say is I love it. I have started a second one, hopefully I can get it a little lighter and Iwill be using trailing link gear.

Doc... 07-24-2010 02:49 AM

Hi,

Can you explan trailing link gear. Also, when you bought the "pro" package, did you use all the parts that came with it or did you replace some items? I am trying to get a handle on the quality of the parts like the fuel tank. How many oz is the tank and is the tail pipe already installed? are the Turbine mounts at the proper height? I know many are using the Kingtech P-80 which is gaining a good reputation. I am a Jet Cat person & will be using a P-80se which is about the same dimentions and weight but has a little better than 3lbs of thrust over the Kingtech. As you can see, I have a ton of questions and do appreciate your help.

Doc...

ChrisPetersen 07-24-2010 07:57 AM

I have watched sticks flying this bd5 and it is very cool . Awesome job on the build. A smoke system on this bird would be fantastic.

Zagzoo 07-26-2010 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had smoke in my byron bd5, worked very well with the 3/16" tube preheating the oil between the dual layer exhuast:

Doc... 10-21-2010 10:10 PM

Hi,

Since there is no instruction CD or anything else for that matter, do you have any construction pictures? Never purchased a plane w/out some reference info. I'm at a loss on some of the construction. The install on the elevator servo looks to be a real trip. I also noticed I have to cut away for the rudder servo. Any help you can give will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Doc...

zonker123 10-21-2010 10:25 PM

Hey Doc.
I've got one of these coming within the next 2-4 weeks. We can can corroboratively do to the build on them and and I think pretty much figure things out for ourselves. Between that and the input of others we should be able to do this.
I am pretty sure that if we say we are going to do it a certain way and some body thinks its stupid they will let us know. Thats how it usually works out for me at my job anyway.
Putting a Jet Central Rabbit in mine. Should work well.

take care!
zonk

Doc... 10-22-2010 03:03 AM

Hi:

That sounds good to me. When I 1st ordered mine from BVM on Friday the 24th of July, the actual order wasn't placed until Monday the 27th. Patty, from BVM, said she was just told the wait time had been reduced from 8 weeks to 6. As it turned out, I didn't receive it uintil October 19th. Additionally, I talked to Jeff in Calif., and was told this would be shipped with a "construction CD". Once I opened the box and it was well packed, I couldn't find the CD. Jeff asked me again to re-check which I did. He then emailed John from the factory and was told they are still working on the CD. So, with all that being said, issues have come up such as the servo opening or the lack of one in the rudder. You can tap it and hear there is a hollow spot. I emailed John direct and eh sent me the rudder drawing which shows where to cut the opening. The big concern is where they have you install the elev. servo. It's all the way back inside the rear of the fuse. It's tight but there is probably enough room to screw down the servo once you drill the 4 holes. They supply a carbon rod to attach to the servo arm but I'm lost from there. As far as the wings go, there is already a cut opening but I'm not sure if that is just for the alerions or for another servo for the flaps. This should be interesting to say the least. I guess I have been spoiled spending much time on the Boomerang and Sprint build threads for the past 2 years. Many pictures and lot's of knowlegable people to help make it good. At least the Boomeranges have Instructions. Much of the hardware is still a mystery on the BD-5 but IT WILL GET FIGURED OUT. Look forward to working with you on this.

Doc...