RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Another Skymaster Viper (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/8718743-another-skymaster-viper.html)

Ron v U 04-21-2010 04:09 AM

RE: Another Skymaster Viper

Hi Duncan,

Nice pictures, wish you many happy flights with your Viper.

Regards Ron.

Ron v U 04-21-2010 04:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Carsten Groen

ORIGINAL: Duncan

Yep, no point wasting time lol :D Thanks everyone, i'm really pleased with it, it's had 2 outings so far and 2 people asking how much i wanted for it lol

Carsten,

The gear door mod worked perfectly, there is no sign of them trying to open in flight in any of the manouvers that Ali tried. The only issue i have is i set the doors to open exactly the same amount and the right hand gear just rubs the door and is slow to retract. I'm going to open it a couple of mm more and then it will be perfect (i hope ;))

Duncan
Duncan,
what mod did you do to the doors ? (I know, I could go back in this looong thread, but I'm too lazy, easier to ask you again :D)
Hallo Carsten,

In the maidenflight i had no problems with the geardoors.
I didn't move the pickup outwards, i changed the cylinders.
I used 2 of my old landinggear from the feibao Hawk.
See the pictures (not so good)
One picture shows when the doors are open and the other one when they are closed.
The red lines is the place where i cut off the wood afterwards.

Regards Ron

Carsten Groen 04-21-2010 04:22 AM

Hi Ron,
looks nice !
I have a couple of cylinders on my FB Panther, they are not up to the task as landing gear cylinders, maybe I should use them for this ;)
I'll see how it goes next time I fly, maybe Sandor has some cylinders that could be used ?

Carsten Groen 04-21-2010 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While waiting for my canopy, I installed the lights from Digitech.
I'm using a small GWS speedregulator, a relay, and a 2S/2200 ma/h LiPo (and 4 12 ohm 5W power resistors), the lights are EXTREMELY bright !!

Ron v U 04-21-2010 03:23 PM

Very nice:D

Regards Ron

Carsten Groen 05-04-2010 02:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my bypass for the P200SX, Skymaster was very quick to both send a bypass and a couple of new canopy glasses!
Hope I can get some flights on it now, and that the canopy glass will hold up!

Ron v U 05-04-2010 03:19 AM

Carsten,

at least you can make 4 flights after you ordered 4 canopies.:D
But i hope you only need one canopy.

Regards Ron

Carsten Groen 05-04-2010 03:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Ron v U

Carsten,

Regards Ron
:D
1 canopy = 1 flight

No, I ordered 4, a couple of my friends would like a backup, if they for some reason wants to change theirs (hangar rash etc), and they are so cheap it didn't make much difference if I ordered 1 or 4 ;)

Ron v U 05-04-2010 03:36 AM

Carsten,

Regards Ron
1 canopy = 1 flight

No, I ordered 4, a couple of my friends would like a backup, if they for some reason wants to change theirs (hangar rash etc), and they are so cheap it didn't make much difference if I ordered 1 or 4 ;)
I hope to fly my Viper also soon again, it is fixed for over a week now.
Yesterday i changed the program of the Viper.
Now i have "crow" in the program (elevator 2 or 3 mm down, Flaps about 45 mm down, ailerons 10 mm up), same as Sandor programmed in his Ultra Lightning.
A friend of ours has it also programmed for the Viper and when he lands, the Viper is so slow, you can almost walk beside it.

Regargs Ron.

p.s. he is flying the Viper with a AMT Olympus without the duct and he has no problems with the canopy.

Carsten Groen 05-04-2010 03:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Now i have ''crow'' in the program (elevator 2 or 3 mm down, Flaps about 45 mm down, ailerons 10 mm up), same as Sandor programmed in his Ultra Lightning.
A friend of ours has it also programmed for the Viper and when he lands, the Viper is so slow, you can almost walk beside it.

Regargs Ron.

p.s. he is flying the Viper with a AMT Olympus without the duct and he has no problems with the canopy.
I'm also using crow on my Flash, makes a world of a difference, maybe I should try on the Viper also (even though I think it lands really slow already!)
Yeah, I also think it is strange with the canopy, but as I wrote, the last time it broke, it looked really like someone had hit it with a hand, it was still pressed in, and the canopy "glass" was white in the top because of the pressure...

digitech 05-04-2010 04:27 AM

Carsten,

Regards Ron
1 canopy = 1 flight

Now i have ''crow'' in the program (elevator 2 or 3 mm down, Flaps about 45 mm down, ailerons 10 mm up), same as Sandor programmed in his Ultra Lightning.

Regargs Ron.

i had a customer call me with exact the same problem you had
however he had only a 170N turbine.
and also glass ripped off
he now used a rebuild CARF cockpit glass i thought from a extra and that fitted also
and problem was solved

Carsten Groen 05-04-2010 04:35 AM

Interesting !
When I touch the Viper glass, it is EXTREMELY soft and thin, and VERY easy to move!
I wonder if the same will happen again.....
Did the glass from the extra fit "almost" ?
(and from which type from carf was it ?)

Carsten Groen 05-04-2010 05:10 AM

Sandor,
did he also not have a bypass in it ?

digitech 05-05-2010 02:53 AM

i just got some info on what part he used to repair his cockpit
he used a part from 3W

3W Yak 54

Heer 05-06-2010 02:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Modification slotted flaps for better brake efficiency.
Testflight will be done in few days.
Fritz/Switzerland

Springbok Flyer 05-06-2010 03:12 AM

Carsten,

Please can you tell me the diameter of the bypass you received for your P200. I have been trying to get the information from SM for months now, without any success. My intention is to use an AMT Pegasus HP in my Viper and the standard bypass is too small.

Cheers

Jan

john agnew 05-06-2010 03:16 AM

Heer

Did you get those flap hinges off a 747 they were scrapping?:)

John

Rob Howarth 05-06-2010 03:21 AM

Why?!? The airplane is lightly loaded and seems to be stable in slow flight with landing flap and alpha on. There seems to be a fair bit of 'ironmongery' hanging off that wing now. Surely a tad of crow braking would have solved any short field issues you have?

Duncan 05-06-2010 03:24 AM

I've not landed my viper yet, as the majority of the test flights have been done by Ali, but over the probably 40 flights on vipers that i have called for him, landings have been so slow and controlled, with no mods what so ever. Hope the mod works out for you

digitech 05-06-2010 03:30 AM

indeed not needed , Ron also uses crow braking makes it really slow.
i use now the same on my ultra lightning and is a world of difference.

Carsten Groen 05-06-2010 03:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Springbok Flyer

Carsten,

Please can you tell me the diameter of the bypass you received for your P200. I have been trying to get the information from SM for months now, without any success. My intention is to use an AMT Pegasus HP in my Viper and the standard bypass is too small.

Cheers

Jan
Jan,
sorry, but I have already installed it [:o]
But, there is around 5..7 mm clearance around the P200SX

Carsten Groen 05-06-2010 04:22 AM

Did fly the Viper yesterday after mounting the Bypass.
Doesn't help !
The conopy is still sucked in, we tested it on the ground, gear up, at around 1/4 stick on the throttle, the sides were pushed so much in that we didn't dare to advance the throttle further!

We then made rectangular holes in the airbrakes on the bottom of the plane, that helped quite a bit, I think it is ok now, there is only a slight bending of the canopy glass now.
We also tried on a friends Viperjet, he has a P160SE mounted, he also had the same problem, although he havn't destroyed the canopy (yet). He will also make the cutouts in the airbrakes.
So guys, be carefull, and Skymaster: PLEASE make the canopy glass of some thicker material, the current one used is only 0.35 mm thick, and it is very soft (on the long canopy) !!

Duncan 05-06-2010 04:43 AM

That's weird Carsten. I'm sure mine is thicker than that. I also have a spare one, which i'll measure tonight to see if it's the same as yours. Mine doesn't suffer from any of the problems you have. Is the Bypass pretty much airtight onto the inlets, using the extension piece? IT fits at a bit of and angle, so i used some sticky backed foam on the lip to make it a snug fit all the way around.

duncan

Ron v U 05-06-2010 04:44 AM

Carsten,

isn't it possible that you have in Denmark thick air that is pushing on the canopy:D
Still hope that you find the solution and i hope that i don't get this problem.

Regards Ron

Carsten Groen 05-06-2010 04:51 AM

@Duncan,
yes, it is strange ! One of the Vipers here seem to have thicker material in the canopy glass, but not sure about that, seems more strong though
The bypass is not completely sealed, there are a few holes (cables, fuel tubing etc), and I do have the extension piece in front of it also (completely tight), I'm sure that if the glass was same quality as f.ex comp-arf canopy's, then we would not see a problem. The 4 canopy glass I got the other day from SM, is all of the same thickness, and when I asked them previously if they could use a stronger material, the answer was no (didn't have any thicker)

@Ron,
I bet it's all the Ash(es) Sverrir (Selleri) is sending to us that does it :D