RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Another Skymaster Viper (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/8718743-another-skymaster-viper.html)

Ali 04-27-2009 08:02 AM

Another Skymaster Viper

1 Attachment(s)
Yep sorry if you guys are getting bored of them by now, but I am still loving these great models. This is one we are just finishing off as a Turn key for a customer overseas. Part of the service is a test flight, shakedown and set up service.
All pretty high spec ( as per customers request ) Jet Cat P-160Sx, JR DSX 12, all 8411 and 8711 servos,Lights, Smoke, Airpower valve. Two of the new 1/4 scale pilots etc etc. All going well so far apart from the need to increase the venting to the main tanks.
This one is so good that I might have to keep it for my own demo model and do another one for the customer?? :eek:
Regards Al

Ali 04-27-2009 08:05 AM

RE: Another Skymaster Viper

1 Attachment(s)
some more

Ali 04-27-2009 08:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A few of the internals

E.N.T. 04-27-2009 08:07 AM

Beautiful, veruy nice.

Hi! Ali, Hector from San Juan, Puerto Rico.

RonLongAZ 04-27-2009 08:33 AM

Ali,

Very nice! love the color too.

Ron

Selleri 04-27-2009 08:37 AM

Nice, are those festo fittings for the fuel/smoke or something else?

Ali 04-27-2009 08:42 AM

They are the fillers for the smoke and fuel.
I have just started using them again and hoping that with some regular oiling they should not stick. I hope so as they are a much neater way of filling liquids..
Ron, Thanks for the compliments on the colour. I kinda guessed you would like it. I am thinking on the next one I might use the same scheme but play around with colours a little.
Regards Al
Thanks Hector.

RonLongAZ 04-27-2009 08:48 AM

I did not mention it but the install is very nice as well Ali. You customer should be very happy. Love the pilots too.

Ron

Ali 04-27-2009 08:59 AM

Cheers Ron,
Yep we tried to get it a good a blend of neatness and practicality. I have seen a few installs now where if something goes wrong or needs to be accessed it becomes a nightmare to work on.
I even thought about cramming a P-200 in it for laughs, but decided to leave that to you Arizonian's ;)
Regards Al

RonLongAZ 04-27-2009 09:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Ali

Cheers Ron,
Yep we tried to get it a good a blend of neatness and practicality. I have seen a few installs now where if something goes wrong or needs to be accessed it becomes a nightmare to work on.
I even thought about cramming a P-200 in it for laughs, but decided to leave that to you Arizonian's ;)
Regards Al
THE NEED FOR SPEED:D:D:D (HUNGRY)

Ron

norbert montenegro 04-27-2009 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
Congratulations for the model Ali , is good flight?

This is my Viper Jet, I hope to finish it in fifteen days, which a Merlin 160 (17.5 Kg Thrust), no smoke system, Airpower valve, Hitec 5955 in all controls and a 2.4 system ACT /Graupner mc-24.

Regards

Joe C 04-27-2009 09:49 AM

Looks great ALi, I may be getting another one. Joe C!!

Ali 04-27-2009 10:11 AM

Do it Joe.
Your USC one is just too nice to fly every weekend. Get a stock scheme beater with a P-160SX. Keep it light and simple and you will love it for an everyday plane that flies superbly. Resist the urge to put a P-200 in it ( You already beat Ron in the Pi$$ing comp with your smoke fluid holding power :D ) Hell.... let me know and I will get a turn key assembled and test flown as well Ali Spec! ;)

RonLongAZ 04-27-2009 10:18 AM

Do it Joe.
Your USC one is just too nice to fly every weekend. Get a stock scheme beater with a P-160SX. Keep it light and simple and you will love it for an everyday plane that flies superbly. Resist the urge to put a P-200 in it ( You already beat Ron in the Pi$$ing comp with your smoke fluid holding power :D ) Hell.... let me know and I will get a turn key assembled and test flown as well Ali Spec! ;)

Keep that up Ali and I will by two more beaters for a total of three and beat you both out.:D:D:D and still put P-200 in them just for bragging rights!

Ron

RCI/Skymaster 04-27-2009 10:24 AM

Congrats on your new Viper. You will love this jet. I am also a new owner of a Skymaster Viper Jet with a P-200 and smoker system.
I LOVE IT!! The best flying jet on the planet.

Have fun with it.

RCI/Skymaster 04-27-2009 10:26 AM

Ron, i would be more that happy to get you 2 more vipers. You just let me know.

Ali 04-27-2009 10:27 AM

Ron. I know I will never be anywhere near the same league as you and Joe for bragging rights. I am just the kid that likes playing with nice toys. having said that I still say you should get another two beaters. That way next time I am over you and I can have a little bit of Viper Reno! I just know you must have the connections to get a few 1/5th scale pylons made up :D Shall I tell Jason to get the kits sent to Wayne now:eek:

RonLongAZ 04-27-2009 10:38 AM

Ron. I know I will never be anywhere near the same league as you and Joe for bragging rights. I am just the kid that likes playing with nice toys. having said that I still say you should get another two beaters. That way next time I am over you and I can have a little bit of Viper Reno! I just know you must have the connections to get a few 1/5th scale pylons made up :D Shall I tell Jason to get the kits sent to Wayne now:eek:

I have him on the phone now! It is always a pleasure, Ali. Looking forward to the next time you are out here.

Ron

Joe C 04-27-2009 10:48 AM

Ali,
I will get that viper, but just to up Ron, I will get the new AMT Titan, I think that has 80lbs of thrust. (JK), you are right, I need something that has no scale items like my USC has, just fuel and fly. I have a Jetcat Titan that I will use. Joe C!!

JetsRC 04-27-2009 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great Install Ali I am sure your customer will be more than pleased. :D

Mine is almost ready for shipping, here are a few pics...;) My guess is it will be here sometime next week.

Michel

Joe C 04-27-2009 02:45 PM

Very nice Joe C!!

gonzalom 04-27-2009 04:17 PM

Hi Ali,

I was at California Jets this year and I saw your Viper Jet in action! out of this world, your skills as a pilot!!! simply superb! I was telling my friends here in Northern California if I have to choose between watching a show of the Blue Angels or to see you flying your jets I go for you! I was so impress, that I decided to go for the Skymaster Viper Jet same colors as yours! LOVE IT!!! It was a pleasure to talk you at the event. I am the guy who flies large ΒΌ scale turbine choppers. Next CA jets I would bring the Viper and the chopper too.

Thank you for the inspiration and looking forward to see you again,

Gonzalo

KC36330 04-27-2009 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)

They are the fillers for the smoke and fuel.
I have just started using them again and hoping that with some regular oiling they should not stick. I hope so as they are a much neater way of filling liquids..

they look like the ones i use on my flash, even have them between the wing tank/main tank/vent, I've had no problems with leaks and it's allot quicker connecting/disconnecting the wing tank with them and once the wing is disconnected just snap the vent/fill together and it's leak free too. also when filling i disconnect the wing tank from the main and fill it first then hook it back up before filling the main, with only air being pushed out of the main into the wing tank it puts less stress on the main tank when filling it.

Dustin Buescher 04-27-2009 10:03 PM

Nice Blue Viper... I want!!!!

sideshow 04-27-2009 10:17 PM

That blue scheme is totally hawt....

jet time 04-27-2009 11:56 PM

Ali, the pilots look great! I'll get some more out to you and also find out about the military version. You sure make 'em look good!
Talk to you soon,
Lowell

jetpilot 04-28-2009 12:22 AM

We finished up Joey Tamez Viper Jet and took it out this weekend for the maiden.
Very uneventful and we were surprised that the gear seemed to work no problem(we have seen some struggle). We used BVM high flow valve and two air tanks. Worked great. One door did manage to depart in flight.
We installed a P200 since we had one available and we used a BVM P200 bypass and a BVM F100F tailpipe I had from a F100. They dropped right in, perfect fit. Very low temps, in the low 4's.
The airplane is very nice, just a bunch of little aggravating issues that are easily corrected.
Couple of things to look out for:
MOST IMPORTANT!! After only 4 flight the wing retaining aluminum sleeves were nearly pulled out of wings. Couple more flights and the wing might have slipped off!!! Wing gap kept growing after each flight.
Wing tubes and stab dowels can slide into wings unevenly. We glued the stab dowels permanent.
Been mentioned here ALOT, but there are many hard points missing in flying surfaces.
Cockpits look great but are made out of some low grade plastic and wont last. Before the first flight they were pretty beat up.
canopy glass very low grade soft plastic
fin missing most of glue inside and main former was detached. We changed to pull pull with solid carbon plate through rudder.
cockpit started deforming in sun
Landing gear mounts are insufficient. One wing had a broken former glued in place. No support at all. We added carbon support braces.
Some of the pro version work was a little sloppy and our white version had white spray paint covering the proversion work done. Fit was good, but whats up with the white pray paint?
Nose gear door cylinder was just glued to fuse wall with no support. Popped off before was even flown.
Winglet holes too big on one side so when tightened they gapped really big.
Tanks create alot of back pressure when installed per plans. Have to pump very slow. Bottom tank want to start balooning.
Intakes glued very sloppy and look nasty(INSIDE). They are very rigid though and feel very solid.
PROS:
plane comes out CG perfect with little to no weight with batteries in nose.
Big and pretty
Wings stabs and fin fit to fuse and front to aft fit perfect. Overall excellent fitment of all parts. Canopy little off.
Nice gear, struts wheels and brakes
BIG!
Flies beautiful and very stable. Very wide envelope.
Breeze to land.
Easy to assemble.

Overall very nice aircraft, would probably fly great even with P120, Joey took off half power and flew there the whole flight. Half power take off climbed out very nice. She needs alot of flap deflection to slow down well for landing.

Hope to get it in the air again this weekend.
Scott

Joe C 04-28-2009 01:09 AM

Congrats on the maiden Scott, I flew mine at Cal jets, they are nice jets. Take Care. Joe C!!

pilot tw 04-28-2009 03:18 AM

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

MOST IMPORTANT!! After only 4 flight the wing retaining aluminum sleeves were nearly pulled out of wings. Couple more flights and the wing might have slipped off!!! Wing gap kept growing after each flight.
Wing tubes and stab dowels can slide into wings unevenly.
Been mentioned here alot but there are many hard points missing in flying surfaces.
Cockpits look great but are made out of some low grade plastic and wont last. Before the first flight they were pretty beat up.
canopy glass very low grade soft plastic
fin missing most of glue inside and main former was detatched. We changed to pull pull with solid carbon plate through rudder.
cockpit started deforming in sun
Landing gear mounts are insufficiant. One wing had a broken fromer glued in place. No support at all. We added carbon support braces.
Some of the pro version work was a little sloppy and our white version had white spray paint covering the proversion work done. Fit was good, but whats up with the white pray paint?
Nose gear door cylindrer was just glued to fuse wall with no support. Popped of before was even flown.
Winglet holes too big on one side so when tightened they gapped really big.
Tanks create alot of back pressure when installed per plans.
Intakes glued very sloppy and look nasty. They are very rigid though and feel very solid.
Scott
Hi, Scott

Thank you very much for the review with suggested, I will meeting with my staffs as soon, and we will check out all your points..and I will promise to you for Improve these points ....Thank you again.

Best regards

Anton

FalconWings 04-29-2009 08:54 AM

Scott/JT,

Did you had to do any major structural mods, specially for the wing/stab attachment?
I have a friend who asked me to post the question, he is building one right now.

Thanks guys,

David

heraldoboldrin 05-04-2009 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ali

I did 2 flights last weekend with the Viper that i bought from you..
I have to agree with you.. the jet is amazing and i recommended for every pilot and very easy to fly....

Thanks again for everything...

Regards

Heraldo

ravill 05-04-2009 10:20 PM

OMG the vipers are reproducing!!! http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/o...led/scared.gif

Snakes on a plane!!!

Darn nice airplanes too...http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/o...villed/yup.gif

Raf

jclittle 05-05-2009 06:31 AM

Scott can you please explain how you repaired this? I've noticed one of mine after 8 flights is loose [>:]

jclittle 05-05-2009 06:50 AM

I would just add a few more points to what Scott has said about the build:
1) Watch your live hinge lines on the flaps and ailerons carefully. Both of mine have "stuck" due to cracks during flight. I've had to cut back the wing surface twice to prevent this. I think air pressure pushes them tight and the control surface catches a small part of the wing surface. Cut back enough skin to prevent this. The plastic used on the live hinge cracks very easy and will stick up just enough to get stuck on the wing skin.
2) Recheck the glue holding the front windshield in place. Mine blew into the fuse on the 8th flight and made the plane very difficult to fly. Upon inspection there was only 1/16" of an inch of windshield holding it in place. The windshield was cut so close to the opening size it just did not have enough surface to glue to the fuse. Sitting out in the sun made it weak and I nearly lost a plane because of it. I have always cut canopies 1/4" more minimum around the edge to make sure enough glue is used.
3) Hysol a piece of 1/4" aircraft ply directly under the existing landing gear plate and use blind nuts instead of wood screws to hold the gear. The wood screws will easily tear out with a hard landing and take the plates out with it.
4) The glue joints holding the main gear doors air cylinders in place are very weak. Put some Hysol around them and they will stay put.
It flies great! I'm sure Anton will make the changes so it flies many times.

jetpilot 05-05-2009 12:29 PM

I had to cut out a box surrounding the aluminum sleeve, then I glued in some plywood and sandwiched the sleeve back in. There was very little glue and nothing else holding them in. They had nothing to hold on to except a little of that brittle glue.
Scott

norbert montenegro 05-05-2009 02:50 PM

hi,
jclittle and Scott
You can document with a photograph of the items noted, because I'm building two Vipers and I am interested in these issues
Thanks again for these comments very interesting

Regards
Norbert

jclittle 05-05-2009 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: norbert montenegro

hi,
jclittle and Scott
You can document with a photograph of the items noted, because I'm building two Vipers and I am interested in these issues
Thanks again for these comments very interesting

Regards
Norbert
Norbert - is there something specific you want a photo of? I think the words in the posts are pretty easy to follow. Please let me now.

JTs Hobby 05-05-2009 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
some pics
pic one is wing sleeve repair
pic two is carbon plate to reinforce landing gear mount

JTs Hobby 05-05-2009 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
pics
pic one is internal of rudder showing no glue and former not attached
pic two is fitment of bvm bypass and tailpipe