RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Another Skymaster Viper (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/8718743-another-skymaster-viper.html)

Carsten Groen 08-09-2010 08:41 AM

RE: Another Skymaster Viper

Congrats Hans :D
(PS: Are the "Barbie" Rookie flying ?)

NightSwan 08-09-2010 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: OttoKranz

Very very nice Hans! In HD the video is almost perfect. Perhaps the operator should improve a little bit himself :D

Ciao
Alessandro
LOL, he lost it quite a few times. On the other hand, in his defense it was his first video with this 'camera' - which is only a Sony bloggie cam. Not the best tool for the job (but a lot of fun when taped to a jet)

Hans

NightSwan 08-09-2010 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Carsten Groen

(PS: Are the ''Barbie'' Rookie flying ?)
Hi Carsten,

the Rookie is still flying (a lot actually, some 100 flights since I got it from you ;) ) - but barbie had to go (she almost cost my my club membership ;) )

Stig Andersen 08-09-2010 01:02 PM

ORIGINAL: NightSwan

ORIGINAL: Carsten Groen

(PS: Are the ''Barbie'' Rookie flying ?)
Hi Carsten,

the Rookie is still flying (a lot actually, some 100 flights since I got it from you ;) ) - but barbie had to go (she almost cost my my club membership ;) )

:D I believe he sold the Barbie Rookie for the same reason.

No, congrats on the maiden flight. I have about 75 flights on my VJ now and I LOVE IT.

zl1wn 08-09-2010 07:08 PM

CG question.

The manual says 220-250 measured from the leading edge at the root.
However, exactly how do you determine where the root of the wing is, due to the sweep at that point.
Can someone please give me advice as to where I should be measuring to.
I would have thought that the leading edge where the wing joins to the fuz, (which is a sharply defined point) would have been better.

Thanks
Ross

CraigG 08-09-2010 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: zl1wn

CG question.

The manual says 220-250 measured from the leading edge at the root.
However, exactly how do you determine where the root of the wing is, due to the sweep at that point.
Can someone please give me advice as to where I should be measuring to.
I would have thought that the leading edge where the wing joins to the fuz, (which is a sharply defined point) would have been better.

Thanks
Ross
Ross,

Where the wing leading edge joins the fuz is the root. What you have thought to be logical, is!

Craig

zl1wn 08-09-2010 08:57 PM

Thanks Craig,
Hmmm I have a problem in that case, I am way too nose heavy. I measure 200mm at that point, so it looks like I will have to reposition
the A123 batteries I am using. Which is a pity as they are nicely packed around the noseleg.

Regards
Ross

DENTO 08-09-2010 11:43 PM

Thanks Craig,
Hmmm I have a problem in that case, I am way too nose heavy. I measure 200mm at that point, so it looks like I will have to reposition
the A123 batteries I am using. Which is a pity as they are nicely packed around the noseleg.

Regards
Ross
HEY ROSS
TRY 230 -240 Will be about it, So that makes it more N/H
REGARDS
JOHN

zl1wn 08-10-2010 12:18 AM

Thanks for the info, unfortunately, it means I have to find another spot for the A123's (four packs), and they looked so nice up along the nose.
The 4 packs are 2 for the Receiver, one for the ECU and one for lights..

Well now to see if they will fit under the front cockpit..

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Ross

ps The weight is 18.7kg empty but ready to go, ie 41lbs.
Is that too heavy or not a problem??

NightSwan 08-10-2010 02:28 AM

Thanks for the info, unfortunately, it means I have to find another spot for the A123's (four packs), and they looked so nice up along the nose.
The 4 packs are 2 for the Receiver, one for the ECU and one for lights..

Well now to see if they will fit under the front cockpit..

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Ross

ps The weight is 18.7kg empty but ready to go, ie 41lbs.
Is that too heavy or not a problem??

Regarding to CG : I tied a string to the wing-tube and balanced it on the wing-tube as a starting-point. (slight nose-down attitude)
I only needed a few grams of lead. IIRC I needed a few clicks of down, and Koen (who flew after my first flight) needed a bit of down inverted. So I think the CG could move a little further aft, but right on the wing-tube is a good starting-point.

Don't worry about the weight. Mine is a tad over 20kg dry, and it floats forever. I flew around half throttle most of the time. (P200) so I think you will be fine.

Hans

nicocarlucci 08-12-2010 03:11 AM

Hi Ross

the perfect CG for me is 230,50

Bye Nicolò

RamsesCH 08-12-2010 09:40 AM

Hi Nicolo

Thanks. This is a helpfull information even for me.
Just started to built in the aileron- and flapservos.
A lot of space inside even for my BLS155 Servo. Could anyone provide me with some photos how to built them in ?
From my point of view i need a separate wooden plate inside to mount the servos, or i need 75 mm Servoarms http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif

Kind regards
Rainer

Selleri 08-12-2010 10:31 AM

Something like this is how SM wants them.

http://frettavefur.net/Forum/uploadp...1269904437.jpg

Duncan 08-12-2010 10:33 AM

But not how they want you to position the control surface horns ;)

Selleri 08-12-2010 10:36 AM

Shouldn't you be somewhere packing your balls down for the foreseeable future!? :D

Duncan 08-12-2010 10:41 AM

NAh they are fine where they are mate lol

coming back from the honeymoon to go the the British Nationals and race pylon :D

Selleri 08-12-2010 10:42 AM

So you think... just wait and see what she'll say on Sat. evening! ;)

RamsesCH 08-12-2010 12:12 PM

Hi "Yeti"

Thanks for the Pictures. Now i understand what SM meant with "L-Shape".
Did you have/found enough wood inside the aileron to fix the horns or did you put a lot of glue inside ?

Kind regards
Rainer

Selleri 08-12-2010 06:50 PM

Yes and no, placement of the control horns might have been a bit off from optimal, used Hysol were I didn't strike wood.

nicocarlucci 08-13-2010 04:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Rainer

This some pictures of my viper

sskianpour 08-18-2010 08:39 AM

Hi All,

Am maidening my Large Skymaster Viper this weekend, and am a bit nervous since we fly at 6300 feet and with the summer heat and the high altitude, the air is thin and planes DONT LIKE TO SLOW DOWN on our 625 foot runway. [sm=idea.gif]

DOES ANYBODY USE CROW??? IF YES, COULD YOU EXPLAIN HOW MUCH, AND WHEN YOU SET IT ON APPROACH????

Thanks in advamce guys!
:)
Shaz

RamsesCH 08-18-2010 08:48 AM

Hi Nico

Thanks for the pictures. There are some nice Ideas how to mount the components.
I hope there is no copyright on how to mount them :-)

Kind regards
Rainer

RamsesCH 08-19-2010 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi at all

A little bit surprised while mounting the rudder to the fin.
The drillholes are not alligned to the drillholes in the rudder. After i added some 4mm plywood with 5mm holes to shorten the distance between for the hinge mounting between rudder and fin, i find out the drill holes are not correct alligned. The two middle ones have a deviation of app. 3 mm. Originally the rudder fitted, probably the wide distance between fin and rudder allowed that, but now if have to sand out an oval hole for a correct alignment of the rudder. Hopefully the fixation with 2K glue comes well.

The carbon tube of the rudder is not correct mounted in the middle of the rudder. Deviation of 1.5 mm. At the moment i have no idea how this affect the flight line, because the small metall one in the front of the rudder is exacteley in the middle of the rudder. Correction is not possible, or i have to remove the passtube in the fuselage, remove the carbon tube of the fin and replace everything to correct them.

My youngest boy suprised me with the ultimate servo fixation :-)
Heavy Grade Airplane Aluminium and only 48 grams. For the screws he inserted self locked heli coils into the aluminium to have more resistance for the screws.
This Fixation will placed on a plywood plate in the wings for flaps and aileron. Total additional weight of servo mounting and plywood plate and and stabilizers 59 grams. Not too bad ..., or :-)
The L-Shape Aluminium hasn't had really my certification for high power servos :-). Pictures of the wing mounting will come later on.
Rudder Horns and reinforcements for the landing gear from Sandor arrived today and the complete Illumination of Optotronix too.

Kind regards
Rainer

RamsesCH 08-19-2010 03:50 PM

Hi Shaz

I wouldn't expect really problems with air speed. I would expect problems with the turbine settings, because an altitude of 6300 feet (app. 1920 m) ANDa "flight level" of app. 1000 Feet (300 m) could disturbe the turbine. I would ask the manufacturer of the turbine if you have to adjust some settings for this altitude. Perhaps the fuel pump or something else.

A runway of 625 foot (200 m) should be long enough,... if you use the whole distance and/or your brakes are working well :-)

Kind regards
Rainer

aquaskiman 08-20-2010 08:10 AM

Shaz I know nothing about the Viper, but I do use crow on my Flash. This is what I do. I have the crow mixed in with my flaps on a mix switch so I can land with or with out crow. I find that in high winds crow turns the Flash in to a kite. So I don’t use it on landings in high winds 20+ MPH. I drop my gear, then flap and crow. Make a lap or two to get the feel of it and the speed right then come in for a normal landing. You will find it will come in a little nose high like your F-15. When you cut the throttle it will sink faster than with out crow so be ready.
You must be standing on a high point at Chatfield. When I fly the elv is about 5400ft. But at 95deg the density alt is about 9500ft...