RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Tomahawk-Design Bae Hawk 1: 3.5 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9345755-tomahawk-design-bae-hawk-1-3-5-a.html)

Halcyon66 12-27-2021 05:04 PM

Seriously what pointless comments?

If someone wants to rebuild a production kit completely it is their choice? I don't think it is MarkShapiro first rodeo so if he is unhappy and wants to upgrade/strengthen to his specs that is entity his prerogative.

Even in the above posts you have a comment of outsourcing ( we all know how that ends ) and destruction after 9 flights. Do TH guarantee ANY of their production?

These days it is a race to the bottom in price and weight, both equal disaster.

Regards,

MarkShapiro 12-27-2021 06:57 PM

Thanks for your support Halcyon66. You are correct - Far from my first "rodeo." Gentlemen, none of these kits are perfect, even from one production run to another, at times. I have owned Tomahawk jets in the past and still regard my Furtua 2.5 as one of, if not my favorite, of the bunch. Excellent quality and value. Because of my past experience with Tomahawk, I did not hesitate to buy the Hawk. But the fact is, the quality of materials is just not up to par for what one should expect when purchasing such an expensive kit. Unfortunate that "Tugs" and "er1979" so quickly disparaged me while knowing nothing about my building/flying experience or, more to the point, the actual significant deficiencies present in the kit that I received. Perhaps their kits were superior. The molding and surface detail on the Hawk are top quality. The landing gear is a work of art and appear to be very durable. The hardware and other accessories are perfectly fine. But the wood in my kit is very thin and very soft and many of the fiberglass/sandwich structures, like the rudder I posted, are absolutely astounding in their lack of structural integrity and extremely thin skins. One need not be the experts that Tugs and er1979 apparently are, to recognize substandard junk when one sees it. Again, not the entire kit, but definitely those aspects mentioned. With that said, progress continues!

jetnuno 12-28-2021 01:19 AM

Hi

I have built some of those Hawks, own one with more than 120 flights and have yet to see 2, that are built exactly the same.
Soon, I will start building 2 more and its all about to make the right chioces and to make some reinforcements in critical areas. When I see pilots that want to install 300N turbines and more and fly hard, you have to understand you are prone to failure.

One of the weak areas, I see TA is paying atention in reinforcemwnt is the belly, near the karman trailing edge. This a a very stressed area, specially when you pull up hard on the elevator. A very have to look, closely area.

Also, all the Hawk I build (and I saw that on the above) have a upper cover to look at the turbine. It only makes sense to build the kit as is supplied if you want to build under 20kg. But who wants to compete in the JWM with this kit???

It doesn t make any sens to take the pilot, cockpit, fuel tank, etc. to take the turbine out or just to look at it. Its easier to manufacture, but harder on the customer that as to make their own mods with no install tips whatsover from the manufacturer, nor its recommendation.

I also told Thomas several times that the elevators actuator is prone to failure in the event of a servo failure, if a servo fails and does not lock, all elevator is gone. Most highend servos burn the electronics and don't lock mechanicaly. Carf as already changed this system and placed 2 servos ganged at the tail in their former skygate Hawk. Of course its not 100% failure proof, but in the event of a failure with no mechanical lock you will have autorothy in the tail. The only way the original system makes sense is if you want to make the plane under 20kg. But again, who wants to compete in JWM???

To my opinion, the fuse in the belly area, should be reinforced the rudder checked, the power wisely choose and most of all, the pilot, should know those planes have their limits. I would not go crazy in open ailerons and so on. But to each its own

Have fun and be safe

Br
Nuno

er1979 01-04-2022 02:30 AM

Cover Landing Gear

Hi guys
someone can help me ???
I need plastic covers for Landing Gear
Many thanks
ER
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...541e97a7e1.jpg

jetnuno 01-04-2022 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by er1979 (Post 12709821)
Hi guys
someone can help me ???
I need plastic covers for Landing Gear
Many thanks
ER
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...541e97a7e1.jpg

Hello

I can't recall any other source besides Tomahawk Design. It's a moulded plastic sheet to cut, glue and paint.

BrNuno

er1979 01-05-2022 12:25 AM

Yes I asked to Tomahawk but haven't, you had already made ? Have you this trolley landing?

Rainier 06-02-2022 04:07 AM

3d printed landing gear covers

Hi guys, I have just designed mine. Have a look!

Rainier 06-02-2022 04:08 AM

3d printed landing gear covers

Hi guys, I have just designed mine. Have a look!

DUCMOZ 06-02-2022 05:42 AM

Aah, if there is a good set 3D printed that fits right I would love to buy one. Or get the files. There are no pictures Rainier .

behzad

F86_SABRE 06-02-2022 08:11 AM

Tomahawk hawk

Rainer you have to click ADVANCED, bottom right of the REPLY THREAD in order to upload photos. No photos are currently attached to your post.
Reuben

MarkShapiro 12-21-2022 05:18 PM

Spare Nav Lens Covers

Would anyone happen to have a spare set (or even one) clear navigation light lens cover? I have the Hawk 100, so these are the elongated lenses that mount on to the sides of the intakes on the fuselage. Thanks.