Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

big block revo help!

Old 09-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Revo2131

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big block revo help!

Bought this revo about a year ago on eBay. Then I realized it didn't work and needed a new engine and such. Basically I'm just trying to see what I'm missing. All I know about it is its a big block converted revo 3.3. Looks to me like it's missing one of the steering Servos and the micro servo for shifting. Also the receiver I put in there is from my dad when he raced a long time ago. I don't think its enough channels though(only 2).
What I've ordered thus far:
Lrp .28 spec 3 w/ pull start
1600 hump battery pack
Glow igniters.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	2121877  
Old 09-23-2015, 04:56 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need at least a 3-channel receiver and transmitter and two new servos.
Other than that, it's hard to tell what else. Used surface vehicles are always a gamble.
Good luck.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:36 AM
Revo2131

What does the the micro servo control? I've heard it has something to do with shifting but I don't see where it mounts and what does it connect to?
Old 09-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You only need 3ch if you use reverse, otherwise 2ch is fine. The micro servo is the reverse servo if so equipped. Go to Traxxas.command have a look at some of the exploded views to see you the reverse linkage is setup. I don't see any of the required reverse linkage parts so it may have been converted to forward only. Many big blocks were as reverse makes the transmission a little weaker.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Revo2131

That makes sense! I also don't see the optidrive ESM electronic shift module? What's up with that?? And is that splitter connected to the steering servos pretty common?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3947
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	2122041  
Old 09-24-2015, 07:12 AM
Maj_Overdrive

A FOC (Forward only conversion) removes the reverse gears from the transmission as well as the linkage. There should be a little blue plug where the shift linkage went into the transmission. If there's no reverse gears there's no need for the Optidrive module or shift servo. Some 3.3 models of are o actually came without reverse. If you really want reverse I recommend buying a transmission that already has reverse in it as well as the linkage and such from an eBay chop shop where they part out brand new vehicles.

Yes the splitter/y-harness is a very common thing. It doesn't have to be a Traxxas brand but the Traxxas one is pretty small and easier to stuff into the radio box, especially when the Optidrive is present.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:21 PM
Revo2131

Honestly I have no need for reverse so I'm just gonna run it how it is. Also thanks for the responses guys. It's been a lot of help!

I do have one more question though. With there being two steering servos do I need one specifically for the right and the left side? Or is it the same servo for both sides? Also if it's the same one do I have to mount it differently?
Old 09-25-2015, 12:44 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same servo same mounting position. The bellcranks are still there correct ?
Also if you are using a receiver with only one steering port you will need a "Y" harness.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:26 AM
Maj_Overdrive

As mentioned there's no specific left or right servo. Have a look at the exploded views on Traxxas.com for mounting, there's also a setup guide in the manual (also on Traxxas.com) for setting up the linkages when using two servos.

Just because the Revo originally came with 2 servos doesn't mean you have to run 2 servos. Traxxas used 2 servos because they didn't want to develop more powerful servos but wanted more powerful steering, so they just added another servo. If your current servo is powerful enough you don't need another one. I can tell from the pic it's an aftermarket servo, what is it? Have a look at the sticker on the output side and let us know what it is so we can lookup the specs. If it's got at least 200oz of torque you may not want to add another although I personally prefer more like 300oz for my monster trucks.

Edit: Traxxas originally used their 2055 servos in the Revo which are 80oz each for a total of 160oz of torque.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 09-25-2015 at 04:28 AM.