Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Reverse is NOT a Trivial Option!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Reverse is NOT a Trivial Option!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 02:36 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse is NOT a Trivial Option!!!!

I keep hearing "you don't need reverse" "it's only for beginners", etc. on this board, and although I AM a beginner, I want to say loud & clear that

REVERSE IS GREAT!!!!!

The ONLY place where it's unnecessary is RACING, and face it, the number of trucks that are used mostly for racing is pretty darn low when compared to bashing.

I can't tell you how many times I have used reverse: extracting myself from a bush, when I get to close to the house.....

It is a useful option. And, yes, it IS fussy sometimes in the T-Maxx re. switching between for. & rev., THIS IS ACTUALLY A GREAT WAY TO MAKE SURE YOUR IDLE IS SET CORRECTLY!!!!

I think it gets pooh-poohed a lot because

a) there are a lot of racers on this board, not nearly in the proportion that reflects the real world.

b) there are lots of Savage fans, too, and instead of just fessing up & admitting that HPI would be well served by making it a standard feature on their trucks, they choose to tell newbies they don't need or want reverse in order to prevent ANY negative from popping up in a truck feature comparison. I imagine that it's a particularly tough pill to swallow that the reverse module on a savage is fairly weighty(not to mention $30-40), while in the Maxx, it's better incorporated into the regular transmission (and easily removed for racing purposes, though I wonder why that's a consideration as the weight of the reverse gear is pretty minimal).

I'm not getting back on my T-Maxx soapbox, but as there are quite a few newbies chiming in right now, I wanted to present a "regular guy's" take on whether reverse is important or not.

Dean
Old 10-16-2003, 03:22 PM
studysession

Default RE: Reverse is NOT a Trivial Option!!!!

Nothing wrong with having reverse. My wife owns 2 TMaxx's and she loves the reverse even though she may have only used it once.

I disconnected it to make her get used to not having it. I am getting her a Hyper 7 for rally cross. We race regularly.....

Now with touring cars i wish reverse was allowed in racing.... There is a place where reverse is needed.... when someone knocks you into the wall etc etc -- be nice not to wait on the sleepy turn marshal... hahahahahha
Old 10-16-2003, 03:24 PM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never once wished I had reverse on my Savage and all I do is bash. I am installing the Forward only conversion in my brothers Sirio 3.0 T-maxx this weekend. The difference is night and day when you pull the reverse out of the maxx, its like a different truck.

That being said...Who care what others say. If you are happy with reverse thats awwsome! Enjoy your truck!!
Old 10-16-2003, 03:32 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Hey dean,

Nice to hear a member speak his mind

I dont own a monster truck, but I think most people dislike reverse only because it seems to give them some trouble.

I personally think reverse is great. It'll save me from getting up and going over there when my trucks is facing a pvc pipe!

ram
Old 10-16-2003, 03:34 PM
studysession

All that matters is having fun.... I LOVE THIS HOBBY!!!!

[sm=bananahead.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=greedy.gif] I love the smileys also....
Old 10-16-2003, 03:55 PM
Deandome

Now I'd gladly give up reverse if someone were to come up with a way to automatically flip your truck back on it's wheels when it ends up on it's back I HATE running to right the truck before the engine dies, and then it dies right when you get there & you forgot your EZ Start.....

Actually, I think that this is doable. I picture a plastic post riding in a sleeve w/ a pretty strong spring that you cock 'n lock by pushing it down, making it flush with the top of your truck body.

You flip over, hit the 3rd channel button & it releases the post, pops the truck onto it's wheels, and then you drive it back & re-set the mechanism.

Patent pending

Dean
Old 10-16-2003, 03:59 PM
studysession

Watch robot warz - they do this all the time...
Old 10-16-2003, 04:06 PM
Deandome

Watch robot warz - they do this all the time...
EXACTLY!!!

Make it light & simple (no need to have it auto-retract), and I really do think it would be a viable accessory.

Dean
Old 10-17-2003, 02:45 AM
bigjdubb

Personally I dont care for reverse. I Have had a few times where it would have come in handy, like when you are warming up before a heat and the corner marshals havent made their way to the track yet.

The flipping device would be cool, but I could see me hitting the third channel on accident and getting nailed in the chin with it.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:21 AM
TheMachine

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I`m a basher mainly and I own a T-Max and a Buggy and a Savage and on-road.

When I got the T-Max I was quiet pleased with the cool idea of reverse...and it was fun, but once I started bashing hard and really putting the truck thru its paces I realised(much to my disappointment and dismay) that a performance upgrade, and a strengthening technique for the T was to eliminate reverse ! Hmm ! So I did the FOC thing and got rid of the servo etc and I have to say that the performance and smoothness of the truck really increased !, and when you think about it, it stands to reason(have you felt how heavy the fwd/rev clutch drum is ?? [X(] ) ...Also after killing a few primary fwd gears with a little .15 CV-RX I learnt that the jerking action of the fwd/rev mechanism puts more stress on your gears...and it operates constantly fwd or not.

Reverse is cool but I wouldn`t pay for it, Savage doesn`t need it for me(I don`t know how the HPI rev works...is it good ? power robbing like a T-Max ?)

TM

PS: Deandome...you may not be on your soapbox..but you have 1 foot on it !... can you see that !? Please be objective if for no ones else`s sake than your own argument
Old 10-17-2003, 09:10 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

i agree, i plan to take out the reverse in my terra crusher also, its jus more gears and weight than anything.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:29 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

2 more cents.
Reverve is a great option, I just wish it could be made to work smoother and more reliable, Then I might, maybe, consider, contimplate, some day, think about it really long and hard before I decided not to get another T-maxx, who designed those one-way bearings anyway??
Old 10-17-2003, 10:12 AM
studysession

I hate how it does not consistantly work...
Old 10-17-2003, 11:12 AM
migueloo

when i had my maxx, i barely used reverse at all. i am just used to not having reverse on my cars. so, when i was playing with my brothers electric car, it felt a little weird with the reverse.
i don't know if you noticed this, but in the t-maxx, when you are using the stock transmission, it jerks foward when you are about to take off.
reverse is great, when you only bash. but like TheMachine said, once you start to bash it hard, you won't need it.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:33 PM
Rex2342

I use the reverse in my Savage alot.It doesn't really add much weight to the truck because you remove a few gears from the tranny to put it in.Most of the wieght comes from the aditional servo.I didn't really notice a decrease in performance in the truck either.I just bash my truck and without reverse i'd running to pull it out of the bush's alot.My freind did the FOC on his maxx and it does make a big improvement in speed.I did the conversion for him and was suprised by how many gears were removed.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:29 AM
seriousre

its funny because I bet alot of the people complaining about weight are the same ones adding tons of metal in place of plastic and just extra metal they dont really need in general to their trucks.

I mainly bash, but I also only run electric
"USA-1 Dual intellispeed 12t esc's, Dual Orion Rush 13 doubles, Dual 3000 mah battery packs"
So reverse isnt slowing me down one bit